Notices

Favorite 2 AA Traditions

Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Favorite 2 AA Traditions

If you had to pick two of your favorite AA Traditions, what would they be?

I would say Traditions 1 and 3 are my favorites.

Tradition 1: Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity.

Tradition 3: The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nice to see you back Uncle. You have been missed.

I think three and five.

Three because it defines who can be a member and what makes up a group (from memory) "any two or more alcoholics gathered together for the purpose of sobriety can call themselves an AA group provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation."

Also historically tradition three removes certain barriers like race, sex, occupation, social standing etc which might deprive some alcoholics of the opportunity to recover.

And tradition five because it defines exactly the purpose of an AA group, to carry its message to the alcoholic that still suffers.

Tradition one is also high on the list, they are all very important, and unity is vital if we are to be of any use to anyone.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

1-5 (1 no AA can compel another AA to do anything )5 SHOEMAKER stick to thy last.--- These are very important and there broken a million times everyday
Old 06-22-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ALL of 'em, so long as there is coffee and biscuits.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I really like 2
For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority — a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern

I have a old timer friend ,sober 30 years,that when we read those traditions in a meeting,he always says,"thank God" after the second tradition is read
I love it
I remember God is the ultimate ruler in our house,not me or my wife,when in doubt about a situation,we pray about it!

and tradition 1
Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.

Unity
we also have a old timer,45+years sober,who says
Unity,our most prized possession

Unity on essentials
Liberty on non essentials
and in all things-Charity

I try to keep Unity with my wife also,if something comes between us,It is never as important as she is!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

this is like the spokes in the wheel analogy. im going to replace "steps' with "traditions."
Upon being asked which is the most important
of the Twelve Traditions, one of the early members
once replied with another question: "Which is
the most important spoke of a wheel?" If a wheel
has twelve spokes and one is removed, the wheel
will probably continue to support the vehicle, but
it will have lost strength. Removal of another
spoke weakens it even more, and eventually the
wheel will collapse. So it is with AA. Removal of
any of the traditions will eventually result in a collapse.

my favorite tradition is
yes.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

3 - I wouldn't be here without it. I like in the long form where it says membership doesn't depend on conformity. Hmmm...

12 - because it tells me there aren't any newcomers, old timers, rockstars or bums. We're all drunks trying to stay sober.

I'm going to cheat and make 1 my choice 2A. Unity doesn't mean uniformity. We all bring our own thoughts, feelings and experience, but we find a way to stay together for good of us all and those to follow.

-allan
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I love this tradition talk!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like all of them but I have to remind myself of my role in the program like in #5..

5 - Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry the message to the alcoholic who still suffers

Also love 11,

11 - Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

In today's world there are so many commercials on the radio and television about rehab's detox hospitals etc.. I'm not against these institutions and I don't have anything negitive to say about them..

We don't have ads, radio commercials etc... our relation policy is based on attraction rather then promotion.. this is HUGE! Come in, coffee is in the back make yourself at home.. here's a list of phone numbers and a weekly schedule.. I'm glad you came in tonight, please come back tomorrow..

I'm truly blessed and very proud to be part of AA..I get to see miracles happening all the time!! Thanks for sharing!!

I'm a huge SR advocate too!
Old 06-24-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gottalife, I agree. Come to think of it if I had to pick only two it would probably be 3 and 5 because of the reasons you explained why.

Tommyh, I also love 2. It keeps everyone equal and puts God first.

CousinA, 12 - Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

I really like 12 too. It's a reminder to me that we're supposed to stay anonymous. Also to me even more importantly is that some AA members are going to have way bigger personalities, charisma, bigger and better stories to tell............But that still doesn't override the fact that the program and 12 steps comes before personalities.

Dave, 11 is really special too. It's amazing to me how powerful AA is when we don't even advertise. And more importantly it prevents anyone from getting too big and gain star status as the result of the AA program.