Notices

Looking for an online sponsor

Old 03-24-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for an online sponsor

Hello, I am active in the Newcomer's forum and someone suggested I post here. I live in an area where there is only one meeting a week at 9pm. I have difficulty attending because I am a single mom and have to be home with my children at that hour. I do not have family or friends where I can leave the kids at that time. Can anyone help me? Would anyone be willing to sponsor me online or suggest a place I can find something like that? Thank you.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I'd suggest you consider reaching out to some of the ladies who are online here and are AA members. Reading through old threads and posts might lead you in the right direction.

Best of luck!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sponsorship is separate to meetings, so the time of the meeting needn't be a deter ant from getting a local sponsor if you can just get to some of those meetings enough so times to get to know the people there a bit.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I hope you have been able to make a little progress with your need for a sponsor. It may depend a great deal on what kind of AA you have operating locally. When I am 12 stepping a newcomer/prospect I try to show the same kindness as was shown to me. I follow the book which suggests I let them know that if they are sincere in thier desire to get well, I will do anything to help. That has involved driving folks to meetings, and finding babysitters on occasion. My daughter and her friends were an invaluable resource in this respect. I would do anything I could to remove any practical obstacles to them getting sober.

I also recognise that fulltime parent, especially those that work as well, have great demands on their time. They must give priority to their family, it is irresponsible to do otherwise. What this means is that attending meetings every night of the week is not realistic. Neither is it necessary to recover. Some meetings, along with a concerted effort to live the program in our daily lives, with the guidance of a sponsor, is the recipe, but the quantities can vary according to circumstances.

The best recovery I ever saw was a man with two sons and a full time job. Two meetings a week, and intensive action on the steps completley changed his life. Meeting attendance in its own right can be helpful, but it is not the program. All the best.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Hello, I am active in the Newcomer's forum and someone suggested I post here. I live in an area where there is only one meeting a week at 9pm. I have difficulty attending because I am a single mom and have to be home with my children at that hour. I do not have family or friends where I can leave the kids at that time. Can anyone help me? Would anyone be willing to sponsor me online or suggest a place I can find something like that? Thank you.
Go to this website: Addiction Recovery Guide and look for a poster named: "Pirate" It's a person who is located in a remote part of Newfoundland (like Newfies aren't remote enough) and they have relied on online sponsorship, forums, and a series of online chatrooms to get and stay sober. Ask that person for help.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mera, I'm in the same situation. I live in a small town with a few meetings, but only during the times I am at work, or very late at night. I'm a single mom as well, and don't have a babysitter then. I have responsibilities like making dinner and getting my kids in bed. I can't be out at night. I never go "out" to drink, i just sit on the porch in the rocking chair and have my wine and cigarettes on the weekends, never during the week. Anyways, it's no good for me, and I'm ready to stop altogether. I've cut down over the past few years, but it's time to cut it out of my life!
I, too, am looking for an online sponser and will check out the link above.
Just wanted to wish you success in your journey to sobriety! It's difficult and takes a lot of hard work, but we can do it!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

PM me if you are still looking.

mfanch