Notices

Sponsor problems...

Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor problems...

Hi SR! I am having problems with my sponsor. I am 2 1/2 Almost 3 years sober. Up until about 5 months ago, I had one sponsor. She was an elderly woman, sober for 25 years. She was just so sweet and loving and sponsored me the exact way I needed at the time. I still talk to her a lot but she was having health problems and said I should probably get a new sponsor so i did. The new lady I picked is only sober a bit longer than me but older and much wiser. We don't seem to be connecting. I was having issues with my cell phone and was having trouble reaching her for a couple weeks. She basically told me that she thought that was a flat out lie and that I simply didn't want to contact her. Why would I lie about that? I have been diligent about calling my sponsor since day 1. I only talked to my old one about once or twice a week after the first year. She was also acting very odd on the phone today. I'm taking dinner to my first sponsor tomorrow night bc her disabled daughter passed away over the weekend. Should I tell her what's going on even tho she has so much on her plate? Should I ask her to sponsor me again? That's what I really want. I don't know what to do. Should I stick it out with this new one? I'm just so resentful at her right now. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds as if new sponsor has some insecurity issues.

I would consider either finding someone else or raising it directly with them . Something like 'I have no reason to lie about my phone and I was offended when you suggested I did'. How this person reacts will tell you volumes.

I think it's OK to move on in sobriety...find that we have outgrown people. Although you've only known this person a while maybe you've outgrown them

P
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank u for replying. I have thought about just being upfront with her and telling her how i feel. I just get so nervous doing that. I have horrible issues with conflict. But I think at some point it needs to be done bc we are in the same circle of friends and I don't want things to be awkward between us.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

How many are you sponsoring?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have two sponsors and I speak to them both once or twice a week. If they wanted me to call them daily, I would speak to them once or twice a week. If that wasn't good enough, then move on. I need a sponsor to help me with the steps and helping me see the truth. I am not their child, best friend, friend, property or co-depend. And I have two because my original is a priest (unbeknownst to me when I asked him) and he just can't relate to my sex inventory. Anyways, you have a strong foundation of sobriety and you know your motivations. If you want to work with someone else then work with someone else. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
How many are you sponsoring?
7 women
Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Caracadams, I understand your situation. I think that sometimes we forget that although sponsors, counselors, or anyone that's in a position where they are guiding and teaching, are also human. Also very different in their methods. There is guidance and direction in sponsorship but sometimes it's forgotten that not everyone is standing at the same exact place on the recovery path. Some sponsors are going to treat all individuals exactly the same regardless of that. They are parroting sponsorship without getting to know the person first.

Being realistic about how we as alcoholics can be I find her statement reasonable if she were working with someone that's brand new to the program. You, however, are not new at this. Yes, we are all one drink away from hell but it sounds like you have some good sober footing, I would have put it an entirely different way than accusing you of lying. In fact, when I begin sponsoring I plan on meeting with the person at least three or four times first to learn about them and to understand where they are on the path.

Some sponsors forget that they aren't a parent, they're a guide. The best ones will definitely call you out on your crap but they'll know you well enough to do it in a way that speaks to you. For instance, if you didn't contact me for a few weeks and told me your cell phone died I would say to you "I completely understand but you probably could have found another way to contact me even if just to let me know that, I'm in the process of getting to know you and you can only imagine where my head went when you disappeared. It's only natural. I respect that there are things that are going to occur where you will be absent but I'm asking you to respect my right to be worried about it because I care. So, in the future, if you can't call me for a while at least take the time to reach out and let me know you're ok and what's going on". Now, doesn't that sound a whole lot different than "you're lying to me?". Precedent has been set if it happens again.

Do you have a set time or days that you call? I call my sponsor every morning at 7:30. If something comes up where I can't I text her and let her know. I fully expect if I didn't contact her at all for two weeks for her to be upset about it. If you have no rule of thumb for contact that's one thing, if you do and you didn't contact her at all then I think you can see why she would be upset? Albeit going about confronting you in an over the top way.

Talk to her and be honest, tell her how you feel. Maybe it can work out. If not find a new sponsor. I had to because my sponsor dropped me because of a difference of opinion on something that had nothing to do with drinking or AA. It was sick really. Now I realize it actually was a gift from my higher power due to the new sponsor I'm working with.

Good luck, I do believe that having a discussion with her is going to be the key to diverting any awkwardness.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I would go back and talk with my first sponsor

you both may need each other

I never gave up on a sponsor,I am on sponsor 4 right now,first one got drunk,2nd and 3rd died,sober,we stuck it out to the end and I am glad we did.
present day sponsor is alive and kicking
Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi Caracadams, I understand your situation. I think that sometimes we forget that although sponsors, counselors, or anyone that's in a position where they are guiding and teaching, are also human. Also very different in their methods. There is guidance and direction in sponsorship but sometimes it's forgotten that not everyone is standing at the same exact place on the recovery path. Some sponsors are going to treat all individuals exactly the same regardless of that. They are parroting sponsorship without getting to know the person first.

Being realistic about how we as alcoholics can be I find her statement reasonable if she were working with someone that's brand new to the program. You, however, are not new at this. Yes, we are all one drink away from hell but it sounds like you have some good sober footing, I would have put it an entirely different way than accusing you of lying. In fact, when I begin sponsoring I plan on meeting with the person at least three or four times first to learn about them and to understand where they are on the path.

Some sponsors forget that they aren't a parent, they're a guide. The best ones will definitely call you out on your crap but they'll know you well enough to do it in a way that speaks to you. For instance, if you didn't contact me for a few weeks and told me your cell phone died I would say to you "I completely understand but you probably could have found another way to contact me even if just to let me know that, I'm in the process of getting to know you and you can only imagine where my head went when you disappeared. It's only natural. I respect that there are things that are going to occur where you will be absent but I'm asking you to respect my right to be worried about it because I care. So, in the future, if you can't call me for a while at least take the time to reach out and let me know you're ok and what's going on". Now, doesn't that sound a whole lot different than "you're lying to me?". Precedent has been set if it happens again.

Do you have a set time or days that you call? I call my sponsor every morning at 7:30. If something comes up where I can't I text her and let her know. I fully expect if I didn't contact her at all for two weeks for her to be upset about it. If you have no rule of thumb for contact that's one thing, if you do and you didn't contact her at all then I think you can see why she would be upset? Albeit going about confronting you in an over the top way.

Talk to her and be honest, tell her how you feel. Maybe it can work out. If not find a new sponsor. I had to because my sponsor dropped me because of a difference of opinion on something that had nothing to do with drinking or AA. It was sick really. Now I realize it actually was a gift from my higher power due to the new sponsor I'm working with.

Good luck, I do believe that having a discussion with her is going to be the key to diverting any awkwardness.
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I would have totally accepted what she was saying if she had put it the way you mentioned. No, I don't have set times to call her but I think that is a great idea. When I first got sober, I called my sponsor at 10 am everyday. I can talk with her and try to pick a couple times a week that work for us. I'm going to try to talk to my first sponsor tonight about all of this if she feels up to it. She may welcome the distraction. I also think I'm going to ask her to sponsor me again just to throw it out there. I don't want to just read her mind and assume she will say no. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I would go back and talk with my first sponsor

you both may need each other

I never gave up on a sponsor,I am on sponsor 4 right now,first one got drunk,2nd and 3rd died,sober,we stuck it out to the end and I am glad we did.
present day sponsor is alive and kicking
Thank you. I'm going to ask her tonight to consider sponsoring me again. Just so I have a definite answer and can figure out where to go from there. After reflecting on this some more, even if my first sponsor says no, I am definitely going to change sponsors. I just can't really picture who I would ask. I'm going to spend some time praying on this.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sponsor problem or not, i think you should go to your 1st sponsor as a friend. shed prolly love to see you.remove self and be there for her.

imo, you dont have issues with conflict- you have a problem with fear-something that can be addressed by revisiting the 4th.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caracadams View Post
7 women
Wow, really? To me actively sponsoring 7 people seems like a lot and very time intensive. I would feel stretched very thin.

But if it's helping you

P
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Do you honestly need a "sponsor" after 3 years of sobriety and when you are actively sponsoring others?

My sponsor kicked me out of the nest after he walked me through the steps. Told me to go help others. We are still great friends, I still bounce things off of him occasionally, and we talk pretty often. But the active sponsorship and step work are over.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I like to work the steps at least once a year.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Wow, really? To me actively sponsoring 7 people seems like a lot and very time intensive. I would feel stretched very thin.

But if it's helping you

P
It's actually 8. I had to recount but 7 of these women live in a 6 month treatment facility and I'm temporarily sponsoring them until the get at and move back to their hometowns. It helps me tremendously
Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caracadams View Post
It's actually 8. I had to recount but 7 of these women live in a 6 month treatment facility and I'm temporarily sponsoring them until the get at and move back to their hometowns. It helps me tremendously
That's great. Personally I have a tendency to spend effort on a few people with maybe more attention and focus but we all do our service work in different ways.

I suppose of you are taking on the troubles of 8 people it is pretty important that you have someone you can trust to speak to yourself. I'm sure your old sponsor wouldn't mind being a temporary guide

P
Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
Do you honestly need a "sponsor" after 3 years of sobriety and when you are actively sponsoring others?

My sponsor kicked me out of the nest after he walked me through the steps. Told me to go help others. We are still great friends, I still bounce things off of him occasionally, and we talk pretty often. But the active sponsorship and step work are over.
My sponsor was the same. He said I didn't need a sponsor, I needed to be sponsoring, and I can reconcile that with what the book suggests. So I have been 35 years without a sponsor, but sponsoring, and it does seem to be the sponsors who stay sober.

I do of course have a few close friends, in and out of AA, and a wonderful relationship with God, upon whom I ultimately rely.

When it comes to the steps, I live in 10-12, but I take all twelve steps (with the possible exception of 5 which is their choice) everyt time I take a newcomer through the steps. This year I have been through the steps twice already. There is something very powerful about taking the steps in this way.

I think it is wonderful the number of people you are working with. AA desperately needs more women like you. And it needn't be too much of a burden if you sponsor by the book and avoid other areas where we are not qualified to help. In fact it becomes a pleasure rather than a burden.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you guided all of those women through the 12 steps?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
My sponsor was the same. He said I didn't need a sponsor, I needed to be sponsoring, and I can reconcile that with what the book suggests. So I have been 35 years without a sponsor, but sponsoring, and it does seem to be the sponsors who stay sober.

I do of course have a few close friends, in and out of AA, and a wonderful relationship with God, upon whom I ultimately rely.

When it comes to the steps, I live in 10-12, but I take all twelve steps (with the possible exception of 5 which is their choice) everyt time I take a newcomer through the steps. This year I have been through the steps twice already. There is something very powerful about taking the steps in this way.

I think it is wonderful the number of people you are working with. AA desperately needs more women like you. And it needn't be too much of a burden if you sponsor by the book and avoid other areas where we are not qualified to help. In fact it becomes a pleasure rather than a burden.
I totally agree! It is my pleasure.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you guided all of those women through the 12 steps?
In the process. One is one 8, two are on 10-12, one is on one, and 4 are getting ready to start their fourth step.