Notices

39 years a guy relapsed. Can't believe it.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Yeah, I get the acid was new at the time. And the women and shrinks? Well, whatever.

Ken,
how you use the words here makes Bill sound like a right nutter with the people he was mixed up with and all. Leaving aside the womanising as an outside issue, what is left to me is the LSD medical experiments of the time, and the psychiatric doctors who supervised them. Prescribed drugs and medical professionals. Aren't we supposed to leave that to the man and the doctors today?

BTW, I wouldn't call myself a great fan of Bill's. I have been more impressed by the Aakron and Cleveland groups, as I have learned a little of the history.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Ken,
how you use the words here makes Bill sound like a right nutter with the people he was mixed up with and all. Leaving aside the womanising as an outside issue, what is left to me is the LSD medical experiments of the time, and the psychiatric doctors who supervised them. Prescribed drugs and medical professionals. Aren't we supposed to leave that to the man and the doctors today?
Yes, and given time this occurred I wouldn`t consider the acid taking hypocrisy,
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

However, I was surprised to hear a member with time share if they knew their days were number they would get drunk/high because what does it matter?

but isn't this bizarre? are these people really not aware that their days are numbered? don't we all know that?
logically, then, it would never matter.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
However, I was surprised to hear a member with time share if they knew their days were number they would get drunk/high because what does it matter?

but isn't this bizarre? are these people really not aware that their days are numbered? don't we all know that?
logically, then, it would never matter.

A limited amount of time. For example one member was diagnosed with cancer and told he had six months to live. He died five months later (sober)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
What's the POINT?????????
I am more focused on how I live, today than how I'll croak tomorrow........
Originally Posted by Music View Post
The woman who passed this along had 30 years, was a Catholic nun at one time and lost it all, ending up on a park bench. Is any alcoholic ever in full control of his mental faculties?
Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
Susan Cheever? She was never a nun and I don't really know her whole story but she's still actively writing. Her last book, Drinking In America was published in 2015. She may have ended up on a park bench at some point, but then so did I.

-allan
Good Point.........
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
A limited amount of time. For example one member was diagnosed with cancer and told he had six months to live. He died five months later (sober)
yes, i assumed that's what they/you meant.
but that doesn't change anything.
we all know we will get to THAT point, too.

it's crazy thinking. addiction-driven thinking.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am 24 years sober and that really means little (to a degree). As other have said, a day at a time.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Is any alcoholic ever in full control of his mental faculties?
i can count lots and lots who have full control(which im sure what it means to be in full control can be another debate), but theyre sober and practice the principles daily.

practicing alcoholics,on the other hand.....
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeks55 View Post
I can't believe it I was at a meeting and a shaky old man confessed he relapsed after 39 years. He said "it's only a dat at a time" but I wanna know his thought process leading up to it
Hopefully you will have another chance to see this gentleman and let us know what happened.. We can speculate, but we really don't know why. I'm in my 38th year. As someone else said, I know I have another drunk in me, I don't know if I have another recovery.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Db1105 View Post
Hopefully you will have another chance to see this gentleman and let us know what happened.. We can speculate, but we really don't know why. I'm in my 38th year. As someone else said, I know I have another drunk in me, I don't know if I have another recovery.
I don't know but I can relate a little since I just relapsed with some time.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I've got no problem with AA where people find it helpful to being sober but I don't do one day at a time.
I think each persons life is their individual story and what encourages one person to use won't be the same for another.
We are only accountable to ourselves, when all is said and done, I know I don't drink now, I never drink and never will.
I hope the OP's AA guy has found his way back to his sobriety.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by CelticZebra View Post
I've got no problem with AA where people find it helpful to being sober but I don't do one day at a time.
I think each persons life is their individual story and what encourages one person to use won't be the same for another.
We are only accountable to ourselves, when all is said and done, I know I don't drink now, I never drink and never will.
I hope the OP's AA guy has found his way back to his sobriety.

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
I agree in so far as staying sober just for today is concerned. The AA program is about permanent sobriety, and I am here to stop for good.

On the otherhand I would be interested to know if there is a way to live life anyway other than one day at a time. There could be advantages in that if it were possible.