Notices

39 years a guy relapsed. Can't believe it.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That's really fascinating stuff on Bill Wilson. I've been reading As Bill Sees It every day for the past few months and a picture of a very interesting person emerges although of course it doesn't contain any biographical information about him. My feeling is that no one in AA asks us to see Bill as a saint and we have the liberty to question his integrity or his motives. That doesn't really detract that the organisation he helped to established has transformed the lives of many its members.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
That's really fascinating stuff on Bill Wilson. I've been reading As Bill Sees It every day for the past few months and a picture of a very interesting person emerges although of course it doesn't contain any biographical information about him. My feeling is that no one in AA asks us to see Bill as a saint and we have the liberty to question his integrity or his motives. That doesn't really detract that the organisation he helped to established has transformed the lives of many its members.
The program of AA isn`t perfect nor was Bill Wilson. Actually, I prefer BW warts and all.

I don`t find him a hypocrite for the acid trips, the shrinks, the women or the nutty Ouija boards. However, there were numerous people in AA not happy with the way he conducted himself but it was his life.

Anyway here`s a bit about the acid taking:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...oholics-theory
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post

Ouija boards

l]
Straight from the devil
Old 02-05-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I have heard this story a few times but I really don't believe it. I have sat with a number of dying alcoholics, even two who had completely rejected AA, and not a single one ever mentioned anything about wanting a drink. In my belief, they had other things on their minds, mainly worried about their families, the people they were leaving behind, and making their peace with the God of their understanding.

If Bill actually made a request like this I would suggest he was not in full control of his mental faculties.
Bill died of emphysema, which as we know is a disease that basically steals ones capacity to breathe. It's an awful illness. When someone can't breathe or get enough oxygen that interferes with the whole body including brain function. The last several days of his life he really suffered in that way.

There's no way I believe that Bill would have all the wisdom he did and want to go back to his maker drunk.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Straight from the devil

Yeah, I get the acid was new at the time. And the women and shrinks? Well, whatever.

But a Ouija board? Now that`s weird.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

But a Ouija board? Now that`s weird.
They talk about being rocketed into the fourth dimension I hope the Ouija board was not what did that.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WMJ1012 View Post
Bill died of emphysema, which as we know is a disease that basically steals ones capacity to breathe. It's an awful illness. When someone can't breathe or get enough oxygen that interferes with the whole body including brain function. The last several days of his life he really suffered in that way.

There's no way I believe that Bill would have all the wisdom he did and want to go back to his maker drunk.

Apparently the nurse on duty (James Dannenberg) kept a meticulous logbook.. There was no mention of BW having been delirious when he demanded a drink on several occasions. The man was on his deathbed and knew it. Like it or not what he wanted at the end was a drink. Not the way I hope to go out but it is what it is.

So does this make him a failure or anyway diminish what he accomplished? Of course not.

He helped to start AA and millions of people are forever grateful.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Long time ago I read Lois Wilson's Autobiography , and unfortunately gave the book away , I know that Lois never mentioned anything about Bill wanting a drink on his deathbed , who knows its either true or untrue . Hmm ? perhaps she wanted to preserve image ? who knows .

At the end of the day we of AA have a lot to thank including Roland Hazard , Ebby Thatcher , Bill Wilson , Dr Bob Smith who collectively are responsible for the message of Alcoholics Anonymous some had bigger inputs than others but its today that matters .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
Words are easy music is much harder
Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Long time ago I read Lois Wilson's Autobiography , and unfortunately gave the book away , I know that Lois never mentioned anything about Bill wanting a drink on his deathbed , who knows its either true or untrue . Hmm ? perhaps she wanted to preserve image ? who knows .
"On James Dannenberg's log for December 25 -- Bill Wilson's last Christmas Day -- at six-ten in the morning, after a long night, the patient "asked for three shots of whiskey," Dannenberg noted. He also noted that Wilson was quite upset when he couldn't have what he asked for. There was no whiskey at Stepping Stones. A few days later he became belligerent and tried to punch the nurse. ...

On the seventh of January, Nurse Dannenberg noted that Bill had been visited by some family members and that after the visit he and Lois had an angry argument. The next morning Bill again asked him for whiskey. ...

By the fourteenth of January, Bill Wilson, a man who hadn't had a drink in almost thirty-seven years, a man who had discovered what is still the only successful way to treat alcoholism, was asking for whiskey again."

My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson, His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous, Susan Cheever, pages 248-249.

Again none of the above diminishes what B.W. help start.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very interesting Ken , I just said ''Lois did not mention that '' personally I have never put BW on a pedestal nor consider him a saint , personally I think Lois and Bill's marriage was either just friendship or convenience once Bill got seriously involved in AA but that's neither here nor there . Unfortunately this type of information gives AA critics ammunition to capitalize on , take care.

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
Words are easy music is much harder .
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Personally, I think it`s that business of a Ouija board which is serious fodder for AA critics. Higher power and now he`s going on about a Ouija board? The acid, women, shrink and even the wanting a drink on his deathbed can be understood or at least rationalized.

But a Ouija board? To a lot of people B.W. was beginning to sound like a nut job.

Anyway, this thread started about someone with 39 years of sobriety who went back out. We all know we only have today. A daily reprieve. One day at a time. BW asked for a drink? 36 years? It happens. Granted I don`t often hear of members with say 20 plus years going out but I have heard it enough to not take sobriety lightly.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Ken even Bill W's association with Aldous Huxley leaves a lot to be desired , he was a Satanist and had a house in the UK where its alleged a lot of stuff went on , its still there and its said to be haunted ?
Regards Stevie. recovered 12 04 2006.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Personally, I think it`s that business of a Ouija board which is serious fodder for AA critics. Higher power and now he`s going on about a Ouija board? The acid, women, shrink and even the wanting a drink on his deathbed can be understood or at least rationalized.

But a Ouija board? To a lot of people B.W. was beginning to sound like a nut job.
but a sober nut job!
can ya believe theres nut jobs in aa? whoda thunk it!?!?!?!lolol

ever here people at meetings talkin about what their cards or a medium told em about there life?
makes for good fodder inside aa!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It would seem none of us have been on our death beds and died - so really what we are attempting to share is another persons experience in regards to what someone supposedly said that they read what someone wrote about what Bill W said and on more than one date. Wow - I think we might be alcoholics.......

Many things leave an imprint on me when I think of Bill's capabilities - First this; pg 285 As Bill Sees It - “It would be a product of false pride to claim that AA is a cure-all, even for alcoholism".

The other is hearing the testimony of a friend who visited Bill and Lois's humble grave sites. Next to Bill's headstone is post. The post has thousands of hospital wristbands stacked on.............

People's relapse stories are as individual as their recovery stories
Old 02-05-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I know personally of four members with long term sobriety who died sober after an extended illness. They showed a lot of dignity. However, I was surprised to hear a member with time share if they knew their days were number they would get drunk/high because what does it matter?

Which brings me back to B.W. and his deathbed request for a drink. Should he have been refused? Here`s a bit from an article which touches on BW request for a drink:

But I am saddened that a dying man was denied one of the few things that may have given him some comfort. And I find it even sadder that anyone would be relieved to hear he was denied that final drink.
Bill Wilson and the Drug War | Cato Institute

Below is a link to a debate regarding BW last days. (see comments)

The reality is though, that we have no idea how we are going to react to dying until we are facing it. Ram Dass talks about this in the documentary Fierce Grace . He devoted decades to spiritual training but he still felt overwhelmed when faced with own death – this was when he was having his stroke. Dying is not an easy thing.
http://paulgarrigan.com/if-i-ask-for...give-it-to-me/
Old 02-06-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I know personally of four members with long term sobriety who died sober after an extended illness. They showed a lot of dignity. However, I was surprised to hear a member with time share if they knew their days were number they would get drunk/high because what does it matter?

Which brings me back to B.W. and his deathbed request for a drink. Should he have been refused? Here`s a bit from an article which touches on BW request for a drink:

But I am saddened that a dying man was denied one of the few things that may have given him some comfort. And I find it even sadder that anyone would be relieved to hear he was denied that final drink.
Bill Wilson and the Drug War | Cato Institute

Below is a link to a debate regarding BW last days. (see comments)

The reality is though, that we have no idea how we are going to react to dying until we are facing it. Ram Dass talks about this in the documentary Fierce Grace . He devoted decades to spiritual training but he still felt overwhelmed when faced with own death – this was when he was having his stroke. Dying is not an easy thing.
If I Ask For Whiskey On My Deathbed Please Just Give It To Me | paulgarrigan.com
What's the POINT?????????
I am more focused on how I live, today than how I'll croak tomorrow........
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The point?

The point is I I like discussing the ins and outs of aa and the controversy surrounding bill Wilson is easier to discuss online than say at coffee after a meeting.

However such a topic probably belongs in another thread.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
If Bill actually made a request like this I would suggest he was not in full control of his mental faculties.
The woman who passed this along had 30 years, was a Catholic nun at one time and lost it all, ending up on a park bench. Is any alcoholic ever in full control of his mental faculties?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by Music View Post
The woman who passed this along had 30 years, was a Catholic nun at one time and lost it all, ending up on a park bench. Is any alcoholic ever in full control of his mental faculties?
Susan Cheever? She was never a nun and I don't really know her whole story but she's still actively writing. Her last book, Drinking In America was published in 2015. She may have ended up on a park bench at some point, but then so did I.

-allan
Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Hi Ken even Bill W's association with Aldous Huxley leaves a lot to be desired , he was a Satanist and had a house in the UK where its alleged a lot of stuff went on , its still there and its said to be haunted ?
Regards Stevie. recovered 12 04 2006.

Correction .

Aldous Huxley did not have a house in the UK , his tutor and mentor was a man called Alastair Crowley from the UK , his house is reported to be ''haunted '' apparently it has episodes of extreme chill at times observed by those involved in investigating paranormal . Crowley was heavily involved in the occult and black magic and was involved in very controversial experiments of the mind , he was a satanist .

In Bill W's case maybe the ''Ouija board '' was result of his involvement with Huxley ? .