Notices

Serendipity

Old 11-29-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serendipity

Thought it was time to start a new thread. I have always loved the word "serendipity." It is loaded with meaning.

I have had an amazing day today. Went to a womens' meeting and did not get the warm and fuzzies. Interesting. But the group, or home group, that I have found has multiple meetings every week. It's in a really cool neighborhood. Ironically, the meeting place is right next to a bar. Interesting juxtaposition. My sponsor went with me. I have met lots of people, reached out, gotten lots of phone numbers and suggestions on good, meaningful meetings and will be attending meetings this coming week. My sponsor gave me a whole lot of homework. Really good stuff.

I am trying to figure out how to do the 90/90 thing and make it work with my schedule and am committed to making it work. Fortunately, I am a really early riser (4:30 a.m. today). My schedule is tough as I work for attorneys. I will figure it out.

Thanks again for being there.

Of note - I am 2 days in after years of heavy drinking (past 3 years off the charts wine consumption). I have been really concerned about detox symptoms. So far, so good. My digestive system is totally rebelling, no further details needed there. But I am relieved not to have other stuff going on.

Thanks for a safe place to share. I don't feel so alone since I have come here and reached out in AA.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi VCT -- thanks for the update. It's good to hear about your experiences.

My reaction to meetings varied a lot in the beginning (and honestly still does sometimes, although I mostly come away feeling better). Often I got warm fuzzies, sometimes not.

Glad to hear you're not struggling too much with detox so far.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice job! My emotions were all over the road too! Sometimes I didn't want to go but was glad I went.. Hang in there it does get better!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It was suggested by a friend I made in AA early on that I do three things - pray, go to meetings and be completely honest with one other person. Mostly, I have progressed remembering these tips.

The tenants of AA are openmindedness, willingness and honesty. When we find that others rub us the wrong way, how do we deal with that? In AA we are back in kindergarten learning how to take sober steps! I had to be teachable.......

Good for you on starting off on the right foot.
Keep coming back
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by VanillaChaiTea View Post
I am trying to figure out how to do the 90/90 thing and make it work with my schedule and am committed to making it work. Fortunately, I am a really early riser (4:30 a.m. today). My schedule is tough as I work for attorneys. I will figure it out.
I was told about the 90 in 90 thing and managed somewhere near 90 meetings in the alloted time. But to me the concept had a deeper meaning and really signified total immersion in every aspect of AA. I am glad it did because I know now that meetings alone were not enough to get me sober. AAs solution to alcoholism is a life changing spiritual experience, the result of the steps not the meetings.

So I did loads of meetings, and got a sponsor, and worked the steps and by the time 90 days came around, the drink problem had been removed and has never come back.

There was this man I sponsored who was really ill when he came in, but had the responsibility for raising two boys as well as working a full time job. For those reasosn he could only manage two meetings a week, which I thought was not enough. However, we worked the steps together, at a good clip, and he changed right in front of my eyes. Today he has a wonderful recovery, 5 years and counting.

So it wasn't the number of meetings, it was the steps and the three requirements for sobriety, which he had in spades - honesty, open mindedness, and willingness.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Vanilla chai,
I went to a women's meeting yesterday, I have made a commitment to chair this meeting for a month, it's not my meeting of choice and I certainly didn't get a warm and fuzzie feeling from it, but I got something from it that helps with my sobriety something quite subtle and something I find hard to articulate.

I am looking forward to reading your posts as you go further into recovery, it's really helps us all, that is not a platitude.

CaiHong
Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning all! I didn't post at all on the forums yesterday. Was super, super tired and super, super busy. Plus, I hit 2 meetings yesterday. Talked with my sponsor, talked with another lady at what I think will definitely be my "home group", did some reading. Total immersion.

As far as detox - by this evening, it will be 5 days without a drink. I honestly felt like crap on Sunday and Monday. My stomach was very wobbly. I feel very, very good physically today.

Woke up early again today, so did some reading and other assignments suggested by my sponsor. I found this morning's readings in the Big Book and 12/12 very comforting. I am working hard on taking things one day at a time, watching my resentments (of which there have been many) and trying to surrender to this process.

Something happened this past week. I am not sure how I managed to find "my" AA group. It's really an incredible assemblage of people. My sponsor (temporary for now, she and I will see how it goes) said she usually doesn't sponsor due to time constraints of late, but raised her hand at my first meeting. She said she saw hope in my eyes.

That's why I called this thread serendipity. My sponsor, my AA group, and finding this part of the Sober Recovery forums. Pretty cool.

Have a beautiful day, all.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just re-read my post and cannot edit it at this point. Regarding my readings this morning, to say I found them comforting might not have been the correct word choice. How about enlightening?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice job! 5 days is huge!!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update vanilla chai,
Glad to hear you are feeling well, it's amazing the punishment we inflict on our bodies with drinking.
All the best
CaiHong