Notices

12th Step spiritual experience ? what happens next ?.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12th Step spiritual experience ? what happens next ?.

Recently I have unintentionally increased my efforts in trying to carry the AA message and my thoughts have been focused on after having had the' 'promised spiritual awakening as the result of these steps '' and I got to thinking what happens after the awakening ? .

I have been quite amazed recently by the increased feelings of deep peace and contentment , clarity , simplicity ,patience ,compassion, confidence ,responsibility ,awareness , understanding ,love , thank fullness , immense gratitude . It can only be ''spiritual progress '' and practicing these principles in all my affairs

How has this come about ?.

I firmly believe that when commencing my journey in Alcoholics Anonymous I made some 100% decisions (1) positive 3rd Step which was instigated by a ''total ego deflation at depth '' I cant, God can .

( 2) Trusting , fearless , total honesty in 5th step admissions led to spiritual growth and confidence in preparing to start clearing away the wreckage of my past .

My past 12 months experience has been eye opening in many ways through not having any days off in the 10th 11th and 12th step , no holidays no ''do it tomorrow days '' why ? half measures avail us nothing , you reap what you sow , '' many of us exclaimed what an order I can't go through with it '' do not be discouraged .

( 3) Realization that at first, staying away from 1 st drink, became a way of life , then, staying sober, became a way of life , and now, applying the program on a daily basis, was,'' now in my case'' a way of life by practicing Steps 10 11 and 12 daily .

( 4 ) Today my thoughts are the 12 step program had ''become '' a way of life . Now I want to say it has ''became'' a way of life as in the ''present '' .

I would need to be un -restored from sanity to stop'' trying '' to apply this ''new found '' way of life .

If you ''want '' what '' we have '' ? yes I did , now I have it , not spiritual perfection just spiritual progress , promises are being fulfilled !! and ? they say it gets better ''its beyond my wildest dreams ''

Finally Kris Kristorfesson sings a song '' Why me Lord '' it reads Why me Lord what have I
ever done ? to deserve even
one of the pleasures Ive known ,
to deserve even one of the kindness
you've shown , Tell me Lord etc

Singer I believe is a long time member of the 12th step program and ''fantastic song writer '' .

What has your experience been after the 12th step spiritual awakening ? .

Regards .

Stevie .
Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great share, thank you!! Kris is Texas boy, my home state.. Never knew he was in the program! This would be a great topic for a meeting! Are there any copy rights on your wise writings, Stevie? Ha! Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I have a 4 year old grandson visiting from across the country for TDay. Yesterday we fished together from a pier and caught a few small bluegill. He was excited!

We talked about many things, sang some songs and laughed a lot. He played with the tackle box and live bait. I taught him how to cast. We spoke of the virtue of patience - both in fishing and in life.

It was getting late and the sun would set soon. Time to go - but maybe one or two more attempts at catching a fish. Patience.

Something hit the bait resting on the bottom of the lake. Slowly the line moved - we watched together as it slid through the glassy surface. I set the hook and a large fished took off with the line as the drag did it's work. My grandson howled with delight - I wasn't sure we'd get a look at the fish as the line was rigged for small bream.

I explained to him how even with light tackle if we've prepared well - strong knots, drag set properly and allow the fish to tire, maybe we catch a glimpse of him. My grandson held the rod and fought the fish together.

Slowly the beast came up and was visible! Another few runs and and I was able to pull up the behemoth - 40 inch / 15 lb bronze beauty of a carp!!

There is no way this experience happens without sobriety and grace = God's unmerited favor upon us. Grace is what the 12th step brings in my life, today,

The fish was released unharmed - the memory of that day, of a sober moment - singing , laughing and watching a "monster" fish dance will live for a long time........
Old 11-29-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Truly amazing to watch a child catch a fish! I've been fishing all my life and it's very special to me!! Great stuff! That's a big carp! We used to set up big Gil nets as a kid and we'd catch huge garbage cans full of buffalo and carp.. They're bony but my friends dad could butcher them correctly and we'd have a huge fish fry, sell the rest to the local fish market and make a few bucks.. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your grandson, priceless!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another few lines from Kris = He's a poet he's a picker , a walking contradiction and a problem when he's stoned, , he's a walking contradiction for the truth and for the fiction taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home ,and there's a lot of wrong directions on that lonely way back home .

Story goes June Carter and Johnny Cash introduced him to the program . he sings a song and its called ''How to Beat the Devil '' in the song he speaks the words ''I would like to thank John and June'' for showing me how to beat the devil , and the end is '' I aint saying I beat the devil ? but I drank his beer for nothing an then I stole his song .

He wrote ''One day at a time '' Help me make it through the night '' ''For the good times '' ''And I love you so '' ( last two for Perry Como's big hits ) and many more . my favorite is ''The Silver Tongue Devil '' got plenty of identification from that ( smile ) .

Lastly '' Sunday Morning coming Down '' Well I woke up Sunday morning no way to hold my head that didn't hurt ,and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert , then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes and found my cleanest dirty shirt etc etc , guys fantastic most songs are all about addiction to booze /drugs and quite a few highlight recovery .

Away from the point but good info , take care .

Regards .
Stevie .
Old 11-29-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love that old Johnny Cash tune! He was a great man! I'm sure you've heard the Highwaymen, Johnny, Waylon, Whillie and Kris and Roy.. Geat tunes!!
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
Another few lines from Kris = He's a poet he's a picker , a walking contradiction and a problem when he's stoned, , he's a walking contradiction for the truth and for the fiction taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home ,and there's a lot of wrong directions on that lonely way back home .

Story goes June Carter and Johnny Cash introduced him to the program . he sings a song and its called ''How to Beat the Devil '' in the song he speaks the words ''I would like to thank John and June'' for showing me how to beat the devil , and the end is '' I aint saying I beat the devil ? but I drank his beer for nothing an then I stole his song .

He wrote ''One day at a time '' Help me make it through the night '' ''For the good times '' ''And I love you so '' ( last two for Perry Como's big hits ) and many more . my favorite is ''The Silver Tongue Devil '' got plenty of identification from that ( smile ) .

Lastly '' Sunday Morning coming Down '' Well I woke up Sunday morning no way to hold my head that didn't hurt ,and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert , then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes and found my cleanest dirty shirt etc etc , guys fantastic most songs are all about addiction to booze /drugs and quite a few highlight recovery .

Away from the point but good info , take care .

Regards .
Stevie .
Kristoferson is a prolific song writer - the library of what he wrote and others made famous is truly amazing, including Sunday Morning Coming down.

Cash's bio is a good read, he haunting style and story of growing up struggling is compelling and remarkable. " And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree........"
Old 11-29-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool

I've always loved Kris Kristofferson's music (since his first album in 1970---Kristofferson), and I fell in love with Leonard Cohen's music (since his first album in 1967---Songs of Leonard Cohen) and again when I saw 'McCabe and Mrs. Miller' in 1971.

(o:

P.S. Just a wee FYI. Those lyrics from The Pilgrim, Chapter 33.......? I'm guessing you're just paraphrasing..........:

"...He's a poet he's a picker , a walking contradiction and a problem when he's stoned, , he's a walking contradiction for the truth and for the fiction taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home ,and there's a lot of wrong directions on that lonely way back home..."

S/B

"...He's a poet and he's a picker, he's a prophet and he's a pusher
He's a pilgrim and a preacher and a problem when he's stoned
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction
Takin' every wrong direction on his lonely way back home..."

(o:
Old 11-30-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very well described, Stevie.

To me, the spriritual experience is an abiding knowledge, every day, that I live in God's world and that I try to learn and do His will for me each day.

That knowledge truly simplifies things.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank's C A H .

Simplicity sounds crazy ? but simplicity is really very simple especially for appliance to the AA program , clear directions to follow , on the other hand it takes a lot of experience and work trial and error before abiding with that rule .
Best suggestion I ever got was try and live and apply AA principles on a daily basis and if you want to make real progress in doing so then the best way to do so is to try and '' live each day as day as if it is your last !! , because some day you will be right !! '' humorous but also true , and simple , take care .

Regards .

Stevie
Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not quite there yet, as I'm still on Step 9. But I wanted to pass on something I heard an AA speaker say: (paraphrased) "you develop and grow this God Consciousness--meaning you start to see with God's eyes, you start to hear with God's ears".

I no longer run my life based on what my mind says, and that I try to continuously tap into that quiet voice of what my spirit says, since that spirit is God's voice which is deep within all of us. Similar to what SoberCAH said above.

I just wish my spirit spoke as loudly as my mind did! ;-)

I also heard something else once that is part of the spiritual awakening: (paraphrasing again): "we begin to live in the present moment. God isn't in the past, God isn't in the future; He is only in the present moment." I really think this is key.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you are doing and ask for help whenever you feel you need it , you ''will '' get there that's for sure , it comes across clearly that you are really trying ,that is paramount .
Love the sayings you have passed on very wise , but as I say ''the words are easy ! music is a lot harder '' take care my friend .

Regards .

Stevie .
Old 12-01-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just a thought , God gave us two eyes, two ears, which means we should observe more, and listen more, he also gave us one brain, and one mouth , which means we should think more , and talk less ha ha take care .

Stevie.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
skg

"12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs." The "next" is to grow in understanding and carry the message. Contribute to the 'Stream of Life,' rather than whizzing in it all the time. Less Me, more He.

My sponsor taught me that "this message" I am to carry is the message of Hope: There IS a Solution. There IS a way out. There IS freedom from bondage. Tethered with Tradition Five (Each group has but one primary purpose--to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers).

"The spiritual life is not a theory."

AA is based on Actions, not Intentions.

Peaceness.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi SKG.

Couldn't agree more I know some people have choices but as far as I am concerned there is only ''one AA '' program as outlined in the Big Book , some say AA is'' stuck'' in the past and others say AA ''has changed '' personally I don't, and AA program should never change , clear cut directions is how it works ,caring and sharing and carrying the message as you say and being in fit spiritual condition .

Of course over the years some ''special interest groups have sprung up with AA approval which is ok and they seem to operate within the guidelines . take care.

Regards .
Stevie .
Old 12-02-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you are doing and ask for help whenever you feel you need it , you ''will '' get there that's for sure , it comes across clearly that you are really trying ,that is paramount .
Love the sayings you have passed on very wise , but as I say ''the words are easy ! music is a lot harder '' take care my friend .

Regards .

Stevie .
Hi Stevie,

I wasn't sure if this was meant for me or CAH, but either way your post made me smile. :-)

And I love your quote! I hear a lot of wisdom in my home group and online AA speakers but you're absolutely right! Words are easy; "music" is harder! :-)

Peace
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just a thought , God gave us two eyes, two ears, which means we should observe more, and listen more, he also gave us one brain, and one mouth , which means we should think more , and talk less ha ha take care .

Stevie.
Thanks, Stevie! I am adding this to my list of living amends.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah Live in Peace it was for you , take care keep up the good work .

Stevie
Old 12-03-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
skg

The Song Remains the Same

''the words are easy ! music is a lot harder '' take care my friend . Regards .
Okay, I know there's not supposed to be 'piling on,' so just consider this: If it's God's Movement, this melody called Life, then His Word, His Music, His tempo... We need only be the instrument that glorifies His composition in harmony and joy.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Brilliant quotation ,reminds me of '' let me be an instrument of thy peace ( Assisi ) I think ? take care .

Regards .
Stevie .