Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

How do I tell my new employer what I mainly do outside of work?

Notices

How do I tell my new employer what I mainly do outside of work?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I own a business and sometimes I work around alcohol. I've never mentioned AA to a client. It's just never been necessary. I look at it as one of those things that's on a need-to-know basis. If the occasion ever arises when I feel disclosure will help another person, than I'll do it. But I don't just say it to say it. I had a friend in early recovery who told everyone she was in AA--total strangers, like waitresses at restaurants and cashiers, etc. It drove me nuts! She didn't stay sober ... so it's not like telling everyone is going to give you an edge or anything, lol.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

So why limit my trust in God to my work life? If I’ve taken Steps 2 and 3 and really “let go absolutely,” then I should be able to relinquish all worry and care in my life, not just in the area of my employment. Who needs prudence when I have God on my side? I can take any risk I want — play on the freeway, handle snakes, put all my money in acai berry futures — and be completely carefree of the consequences because I’ve chosen to let God do all the managing. If things don’t turn out well — if I’m struck by a car, get fatally bitten, or lose all my savings — it’s God’s will, not mine. Right?

Wait, you say I’m being ridiculous? That there’s obviously a difference between the mild risk of negative consequences to “coming out” about my recovery in the workplace, and the crazy reckless risks mentioned above?

Well, then how do you define or quantify that difference? Where exactly do you draw the line for what's an "acceptable" risk and what isn't? After all, either I trust God or I don’t, right?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
skg

Where exactly do you draw the line for what's an "acceptable" risk and what isn't? After all, either I trust God or I don’t, right?
1 Cor 6:12: (AKJV): "All things are lawful to me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

(NIV):"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

Living the redemptive life does not require daft acts of stupidity--God gave us minds and reason. Living the redemptive life means faith that He will care for His sheep. It also means, "If the Son has set you free, you are free indeed." (John 8:36) Free from fear, from sin, from the convictions of this fallen world. Grace.

The spiritual life is not a theory--we have to live it.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My line of work doesn't attract a lot of paparazzi, so staying anonymous at the level of press, radio and film has never been a problem.

I mention it to clients when they share something about a family member with an addiction problem.

I don't generally volunteer the fact that I am sober and clean otherwise.