Notices

The hand of AA

Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The hand of AA

The hand of AA I was reminded by a friend in the fellowships share the other night that when someone is in need, the hand of AA, my hand, needs to be there. Regardless of how I personally feel about the individual in need. It is not so much a humanly duty, but a heavenly one. For that is where the gift originates. And sobriety is a gift I cannot hoard. It must be given freely away for me to keep receiving.

I've watched an old timer friend of mine take on several men as sponsees that he did not personally care for. It's been a powerful demonstration for me of truly practicing our principles. One I have had occasion to try and mimic. Much to my surprise, this experience was one of the greatest I've had in working with others. It not only helped me stay sober, and seemed to help the other man, but gave me a new friend in the process. Someone I never would have sought out for friendship otherwise. Which has thus given me a new perspective on people I have a knee jerk reaction against. And that is a gift in itself.

I want my hand to be always stretched out. To lift another. As I myself was lifted.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Michael.

To quote David Allan Coe, you can't shake hands with a fist.

AA includes all of us, from the Captain's table to steerage (I have read somewhere).
Old 07-28-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its important for me to remember that hand reaching out is to go to anyone anywhere- alcohlic or not. Inside and outside the rooms.
It would be extremely selfish and self centered for me to limit it to alcoholics only.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good timing on your post.......

Went to noon meeting and there was a newcomer present - never been to an AA meeting, picked up a 24 hour/desire chip. Guy looked pretty rough and no spring chicken. Life has not been easy for him obviously.

We shared about the first step and our esh with him. At the end of the meeting I grabbed him a Book, wrote my name and phone number in it and asked him if he'd like to talk call me.

I gave him a meeting schedule and let him know there's another meeting today he may attend. I encouraged him to keep coming back.......and what that means.

This post was on my mind.........I judge when I should not. I hide behind the veil of being "new" myself at 13 months when it comes to speaking with the "right" people. Who the heck am I sometimes????

Thanks for the reminder of what it's all about and carrying the message.
I need to grow where planted....