Notices

Big Book Step Study - Hyannis Format

Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big Book Step Study - Hyannis Format

Does anyone else on the forum here follow the official Big Book Step Study Hyannis Format? I thought it'd be nice to have a place on this forum to meet others from around the country who follow the steps exactly as they're written in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

For anyone curious, it's my understanding that this is the current main website link: Asheville Big Book Step Study -
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I do the Hyannis Format ,It`s the only thing I will use..I have heard quite few speakers from the Asheville BBSS Groups.Harry and Suzanne are really good.We also have listened to a lot of folks from the Florida groups.Jacksonville Fla has about 4 good groups who follow the Hyannis Format.I don`t know if we have a "official" website at this time
Old 06-30-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I do the Hyannis Format ,It`s the only thing I will use..I have heard quite few speakers from the Asheville BBSS Groups.Harry and Suzanne are really good.We also have listened to a lot of folks from the Florida groups.Jacksonville Fla has about 4 good groups who follow the Hyannis Format.I don`t know if we have a "official" website at this time
Thanks, Tommy, I agree--it's the only type of meeting I will attend. It's great the Asheville website has speakers to download. I also heard there were speaker tapes available at the BBSS annual convention. Are the Florida group speakers also on the website I posted, or a different website?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

they are on a different website.A friend from Jax,Fl mailed us a set of the BBSS annual convention CD`S to have for the group.Newington,Fla has a lot of speakers online
Old 06-30-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never heard of it. I just follow the Twelve Steps.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Db1105 View Post
Never heard of it. I just follow the Twelve Steps.
Hi Db1105,

Our meetings are a structured way to speak about and follow the 12 steps.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Apologies if my first post sounded arrogant, that wasn't my intention. I honor the fact that everyone has different ways of working the steps that helped them. I just personally found this method worked best for me, and I wanted to chat with others who worked the steps this way. :-)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The BBSS format is the only thing that worked for me. I don't know what others have to do I only know what I had to do.

One of the FL BBSS websites with speakers is the North Central FL group: North Central Florida Big Book Step Study Groups - Welcome

If anyone has access to speakers online from the BBSS Annual Convention I would really appreciate direction on how to find that.

The Newington NH group adds speakers every week after they meet on Sat.
I also listen to Asheville. There's one lady on there who just drives it home with the fears.

There are also 3 phone meetings per week. The one yesterday I can't stop thinking about the speaker (also on fear). It wa her first time speaking and she was beautiful.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WMJ1012 View Post
The BBSS format is the only thing that worked for me. I don't know what others have to do I only know what I had to do.

One of the FL BBSS websites with speakers is the North Central FL group: North Central Florida Big Book Step Study Groups - Welcome

If anyone has access to speakers online from the BBSS Annual Convention I would really appreciate direction on how to find that.

The Newington NH group adds speakers every week after they meet on Sat.
I also listen to Asheville. There's one lady on there who just drives it home with the fears.

There are also 3 phone meetings per week. The one yesterday I can't stop thinking about the speaker (also on fear). It wa her first time speaking and she was beautiful.
Thank you for posting this information, WMJ. If anyone has info on how we can access other BBSS speaker tapes including those from the convention, please post.

WMJ, how do we access the phone meetings?

I am planning on asking my group if they are interested in being taped. I'm not sure it's my place to ask, though, because I'm not a guide yet but I will ask my guide. I wish there was a main BBSS website.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm emailing you now. Anyone else who wants the info just PM me.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
Thanks, Tommy, I agree--it's the only type of meeting I will attend.
Just a rhetorical question/statement here.

It was and is important to me to have a "good meeting" to attend. I love the type of meeting (and they're a B! to find) where most everyone is coming from the same angle, where everyone is talking AA recovery vs any of the other "easier softer ways" that never seem to work out, where everyone is either on the spiritual path or trying to get there / get back there. It feels great to be part of the pack......especially when the pack seems to be so well aligned with what we perceive as "good."

My home group is/was that place for me. 8:30 AM on a Saturday and you'd have anywhere from 20 to 50 homegroup members at every meeting. at least 30 of them had 10+ years and 10 to 15 of them had 20 years or more. You could feel it when you were there, almost before anyone talked. You'd find 3 or more generations of sponsorship. They'd celebrate important birthdays in their homes and 100 or more ppl would show up. It was a real group.....far more than just "an AA meeting."

Just for the sake of the point I'm trying to make, let's say Clyde is one of those strong members with 10 or 20 years. Carrying the message, putting the principles into practice, doin' the deal........as they say. Clyde doesn't show up one day. No problem, there are two dozen more "Clyde's" to fill the gap. Sure, he's needed and he's appreciated......but is he reeeeally NEEDED? Would Clyde perhaps be more useful at one of those crappy meetings that are so easy to find where AA isn't even really talked about in spite of calling themselves and AA meeting? Where does his message of recovery help more ppl - when it's repeated for the 100th time to 50 ppl who already get it, understand it, and are doing it? Would he possibly be more useful in a group where people DON'T know the solution and haven't been exposed to it? Who are we supposed to carry the message to - I don't think it's to ppl who already have it. What, we only carry the message of recovery, power, usefulness, a psychic change, and how to find a HP to people who are already doing what we're doing? I don't think anyone can give something to me that I already have, yanno? They can only give something to someone who doesn't have it.....ie, the folks who aren't doing (yet) what we're doing. Even our founders didn't seek out people who were already in line with their thinking and actions .....they sought out people who they believed NEEDED to be aligned with our way of thinking and acting.

Those "good" meetings..... those are occasionally the "for me" meetings. The place where, every once in a while, I can walk away with something new - something I haven't heard before - something I hadn't considered before - something for ME. Those s.h.i.t meeting though......you know the ones..... I'm not going to hear much more than active alcoholism there - be it wet or dry alcoholism. Those are for ME too but in a totally different way. There.....those meetings......I get to really be of service to people who need it even though most of them don't think they do. So the challenge to me is even greater because my task there is to carry an attractive message that could possibly influence someone who's been resistant of never exposed to it before but who is also sure it's not necessary. THAT'S the person we need to be helping.....the real alcoholic who isn't even aware they have alcoholism and thus isn't doing anything to treat it other than maybe not drinking and hitting up some meetings.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have a copy of the Cape Cod CD`s International Convention and I am trying to upload them to a site where you can listen to them,download them or hotlink them.I`ll let you know when I get it done.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Hi Daytrader
I love the type of meeting (and they're a B! to find) where most everyone is coming from the same angle, where everyone is talking AA recovery vs any of the other "easier softer ways" that never seem to work out,

me too Mike,thats why I never miss a BBSS meeting if possible,because we all do it the exact same way and we are all on the same page.

That provides extremely powerful meetings when we all focus on the same solution,as it was passed down to us from the founders.By sticking to that structured,disciplined format,we avoid most problems ,like what we all have experienced in mainstream AA

keep carrying the message DT and have a good 4th of July holiday
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tommy! You're a gem! Thank you!!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I have a copy of the Cape Cod CD`s International Convention and I am trying to upload them to a site where you can listen to them,download them or hotlink them.I`ll let you know when I get it done.
Tommy, this is great. Thank you so much. I hope it's not too time-consuming. I will pass it along to others, too.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Just a rhetorical question/statement here.

It was and is important to me to have a "good meeting" to attend. I love the type of meeting (and they're a B! to find) where most everyone is coming from the same angle, where everyone is talking AA recovery vs any of the other "easier softer ways" that never seem to work out, where everyone is either on the spiritual path or trying to get there / get back there. It feels great to be part of the pack......especially when the pack seems to be so well aligned with what we perceive as "good."

My home group is/was that place for me. 8:30 AM on a Saturday and you'd have anywhere from 20 to 50 homegroup members at every meeting. at least 30 of them had 10+ years and 10 to 15 of them had 20 years or more. You could feel it when you were there, almost before anyone talked. You'd find 3 or more generations of sponsorship. They'd celebrate important birthdays in their homes and 100 or more ppl would show up. It was a real group.....far more than just "an AA meeting."

Just for the sake of the point I'm trying to make, let's say Clyde is one of those strong members with 10 or 20 years. Carrying the message, putting the principles into practice, doin' the deal........as they say. Clyde doesn't show up one day. No problem, there are two dozen more "Clyde's" to fill the gap. Sure, he's needed and he's appreciated......but is he reeeeally NEEDED? Would Clyde perhaps be more useful at one of those crappy meetings that are so easy to find where AA isn't even really talked about in spite of calling themselves and AA meeting? Where does his message of recovery help more ppl - when it's repeated for the 100th time to 50 ppl who already get it, understand it, and are doing it? Would he possibly be more useful in a group where people DON'T know the solution and haven't been exposed to it? Who are we supposed to carry the message to - I don't think it's to ppl who already have it. What, we only carry the message of recovery, power, usefulness, a psychic change, and how to find a HP to people who are already doing what we're doing? I don't think anyone can give something to me that I already have, yanno? They can only give something to someone who doesn't have it.....ie, the folks who aren't doing (yet) what we're doing. Even our founders didn't seek out people who were already in line with their thinking and actions .....they sought out people who they believed NEEDED to be aligned with our way of thinking and acting.

Those "good" meetings..... those are occasionally the "for me" meetings. The place where, every once in a while, I can walk away with something new - something I haven't heard before - something I hadn't considered before - something for ME. Those s.h.i.t meeting though......you know the ones..... I'm not going to hear much more than active alcoholism there - be it wet or dry alcoholism. Those are for ME too but in a totally different way. There.....those meetings......I get to really be of service to people who need it even though most of them don't think they do. So the challenge to me is even greater because my task there is to carry an attractive message that could possibly influence someone who's been resistant of never exposed to it before but who is also sure it's not necessary. THAT'S the person we need to be helping.....the real alcoholic who isn't even aware they have alcoholism and thus isn't doing anything to treat it other than maybe not drinking and hitting up some meetings.
Day Trader,

Thank you for your post. I am not done with the steps, so I cannot help others yet. Once I am on Step 12, I plan to go to those other types of meetings I used to go to, and will try my best to carry the message of the solution to those interested.

I think Tommyh said it perfectly in his post here.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi.

I’m in favor of “regular” BBSS meetings however I personally question if the format of the Hyannis type should be considered AA meetings with the rules they enforce.
I know a lot of people attending these meetings and have respect for their accomplishments; I do admit a large dislike for one of its founders. Nuf said.

BE WELL
Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I looked it up and this format seems the same as every other step meeting except that it allows questions to be asked. That is a great thing.

With the prohibition on cross talk preventing people in ordinary meetings from asking information and many leave as ignorant as when they came.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Unless the “Hyannis” type meeting has changed it was a meeting that if you had not completed the steps at a BB meeting way you are not allowed to comment at any of the meetings. I’m not in any way even suggesting that the “graduates” don’t help others, they do a good job in the many I’ve seen.
I just don’t care for the rules.

Don't get me going on crosstalk, without it I and many would never have sober time.

BE WELL
Old 07-02-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just googled Hyannis Big Book and looked at the meeting format. I did not realize the restrictions applied to meetings that were not BB study.

I do like that they let people ask questions. There is so much about the program I did not understand about the program until I got to ask questions on SR. Especially at meetings about the steps.