Notices

Lying about being in recovery.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lying about being in recovery.

So this girl told her life story at a meeting a few weeks ago and preached how important the steps were bla bla bla. Anyway I just seen her profile on a online dating service and she mentioned that she occasionally drinks and uses drugs. Either she relapsed since speaking or she was never sober to start with. I guess it is a fellowship of cons, dopers, and drunks so this type of thing should be expected. I am no saint in spite of being sober. Even so it chaps my ass when someone acts like they are in recovery and really aren't. Especially if they speak at a meeting a preach the program.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I learnt a long time ago that only some of the mebers of AA are alcoholics trying to recover, so I chose my friends accordingly.

In this case though, it could be she just hasn't updated her face book. For someone recovering from a life threatening disease, maybe facebook isn't her top priority at the moment. Perhaps recovery is, and maybe your recovery should be yours.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I learnt a long time ago that only some of the mebers of AA are alcoholics trying to recover, so I chose my friends accordingly.

In this case though, it could be she just hasn't updated her face book. For someone recovering from a life threatening disease, maybe facebook isn't her top priority at the moment. Perhaps recovery is, and maybe your recovery should be yours.
When did I mention anything about Facebook?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Putting down the booze/drugs is just a small part of recovery, right? "We think a man unthinking to say sobriety is enough," as the book says.

It's good that you recognize your resentments and are open about them. Resentment, as it's said, is the #1 killer - it kills more of us than anything (even drugs and booze!).

So with that said, I hope you've added her to your current 4th step.

Especially with someone new, I expect that most of what they say is a half-truth....that's how I rolled when I was new. It would be massively hypocritical of me to judge someone for doing exactly the same things I've done - even if I didn't tell precisely the same lie myself, I sure told a ton of them.

I still get caught in the trap of judging others too though. When I wake up from that ego-driven "blackout" it occurs to me that sitting on the throne of judgment isn't doing MY RECOVERY one damn bit of good. And as a matter of fact, my judgments are actually impeding my recovery....so it's back on the spiritual path for me ASAP.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

if i take my own inventory like I am supposed too,and do like I should,I will not have time to take anyone else`s inventory.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to remember that when I point my finger at someone, there are 4 others pointing right back at me.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Db1105;5446056]I have to remember that when I point my finger at someone, there are 4 others pointing right back at me.[/QUOTE

When I joined the army they taught us to point with our whole hand rather than just with one or two fingers (aka knife hand). They emphasized that pointing with one finger was unprofessional.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
skg

examples

Originally Posted by Pacc1986 View Post
So this girl told her life story at a meeting a few weeks ago and preached how important the steps were
It's a good idea to focus on one's own sobriety and use others' experiences as examples... Taking others' inventories says more about the one who takes it.... Ask me how I know that crap.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered

When I see this happen in the rooms, I say to myself, "Not my circus. Not my monkeys."

Personally, I avoid drama whenever possible. I can see it coming a mile away and can steer clear.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dating profiles are not the most reliable source of information IMO...

Other than that...this situation looks like a wonderful opportunity for SELF inventory

Man, don't you wish some days there was a different answer?!

P
Old 06-30-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think i need to stay away from the internet entirely. all it seems to do is cause drama
Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
...Personally, I avoid drama whenever possible. I can see it coming a mile away and can steer clear.
Roger that.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pacc1986 View Post
I think i need to stay away from the internet entirely. all it seems to do is cause drama
Welp, I think that could be a good thing for ya, but I also think it may be a good think to take accountability for it. Who went lookin on a dating site? Were ya forced? do you really believe people are honest on there?Who and what is causing the drama? You or the Internet?

Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely looked for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking and frightened? Though a situation had not been entirely our fault, we tried to disregard the other person involved entirely. Where were we to blame? The inventory was ours, not the other mans.When we saw our faults we listed them. We placed them before us in black and white. We admitted our wrongs honestly and were willing to set these matters straight.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As AA is a program of attraction not promotion, I suppose I would have an expectation of members walking the talk. Therein lieth the lesson. LOL

If you are feeling up to the drama that may ensue ask her about it.

As people have pointed out just look out for yourself and your sobriety, I can understand why it would rankle you though.
have a good day
Caihong