Notices

Daily Reflections 21 April

Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Reflections 21 April

CULTIVATING FAITH
"I don't think we can do anything very well in this world unless we practice it. And I don't believe we do A.A. too well unless we practice it. . . . We should practice . . . acquiring the spirit of service. We should attempt to acquire some faith, which isn't easily done, especially for the person who has always been very materialistic, following the standards of society today. But I think faith can be acquired; it can be acquired slowly; it has to be cultivated. That was not easy for me, and I assume that it is difficult for everyone else. . . ."
— DR. BOB AND THE GOOD OLDTIMERS, pp. 307-08

Fear is often the force that prevents me from acquiring and cultivating the power of faith. Fear blocks my appreciation of beauty, tolerance, forgiveness, service, and serenity.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Fear also feeds and fosters resentments and anger. Fear is like one of those little wide-eyed innocent kids who secretly bully the f**k out of half the kids in the class, both big and little; have blackmailed the other half; and yet still sneakily manages to elicit sympathy from all the adults with their simpering ways.

I have recently started to use a prayer based on some things that Mother Theresa said about being fearful of how others will react if you are kind, honest, happy, do things for others, do your best, etc. as part of my daily prayers in the morning. I call it my 'Anyway Prayer'. I pray that I will continue to practice these things anyway. At first it will be DESPITE the fear. Hopefully, as time passes and I cultivate my faith, the fear and defensiveness will pass and, for example, honesty will be as natural to me as lying had / has become to me.

God, help me to remember that people may be unreasonable and self-centred. Let me forgive them anyway.
Help me to accept that if I am kind, people may accuse me of ulterior motives. And let me be kind anyway.
Help me to accept that if I find happiness, people may be jealous. And let me be happy anyway.
Help me accept that the good I do today may be forgotten tomorrow. And let me do good anyway.
God, help me to accept that I may give the world my best and it may never be enough. And let me give my best anyway,
God help me to remember that it is between you and me. And it was never about me and them anyway.