Notices

ouija baord

Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
skg

yabbut

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
It is well documented that Bill W experimented with LSD as part of trying to illicit a spiritual awakening. This practice was quickly abandoned and is not recommend either.
It is my understanding that he was under the care of a pshrynchiatrist at the time? Generally misleading to suggest Bill Wilson was dropping acid and picking through cow pies all the time...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Hate to tell you this but there is worse dirt on Bill W. than that
Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
skg

But he didn't drink...

I was complaining about the percentage of buttmunches in AA, and my sponsor told me very early on: "The rooms of AA are filled with liars, scoundrels, thieves, cheats, sinners and scum. Welcome. We've been waiting for you." He grinned. Toad.

I didn't get to AA based on my academic prowess. In fact, my best ideas put me in those seats, so it's best I don't point at the defects and judge others because I've done fourth and fifth step... I am forgiven ONLY by the Grace of God--best to be passing that little nugget around to those who may need it as well...
Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

AA has worked in spite of the flaws Wilson Smith and the founders had.

A member on here invited me to speak at St. Louis a number of years back.
When I was sharing my story, I mentioned AA had brought me back to God.
After I mentioned that, the light over me started flashing on and off. Got a rise from the members in attendance.

A lot of us have read horoscopes etc. looking for answers.
I no longer play the numbers in the fortune cookie on the lotto though
Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
In the book pass it on Bill Wilson talks about spook party's were they all would use the ouija board. That he would talk to archangels st francis friends in purgatory some not. Does anybody else have a problem with this I'm quitting aa because of it.
My magic 8-ball says you can't quit.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes it is well known Tha bill used a ouija board for seances ....that was one of his more sane practices honestly if you ask me. Given the time he was in it was actually rather common to practice spiritualism
Old 04-25-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

After watching Clarence Snyder I chained my mind on quitting. After all AA led me to GOD. Badcompany your magic 8-ball was right ask it if I'll ever win the lotto.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am glad you decided to stay DSMaxis. I don't have a magic 8ball but I can safely predict that if you don't pick up the first drink, you will not get drunk
Old 04-26-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This thread gave me a great chuckle. There certainly are some wonderfully humble senses of humor in AA!

Boleo, I LOVE that writing by Bill. Thanks for posting
Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
After watching Clarence Snyder I chained my mind on quitting. After all AA led me to GOD. Badcompany your magic 8-ball was right ask it if I'll ever win the lotto.
It says ask again later.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by greens View Post
....that was one of his more sane practices honestly if you ask me. Given the time he was in it was actually rather common to practice spiritualism
I think I understand the OP's point of view. It can be difficult to adhere to a program that the founder of the program himself had difficulty following. I would have a difficult time following a diet plan written by someone who died fat in much the same way I would follow a spiritual program written by someone who certainly lacked spirituality in some aspects of his life.

As far as "well, that was just what they did it in those days" when it comes to infidelity and whacked out spiritual ideas, that doesn't fly. This would suggest that spiritual morality changes as humans progress, and the God from which they are given their ideas of morality has evolved at the same pace as human society. I doubt that the Oxford group would admit that God's ideas about right and wrong have evolved over time.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I agree 100% with you Bmac. I was just trying to put it in perspective.
I was trying to point out that anyone who is In the progrsm should keep in mind that it was developed in the 30's, and to make your own decisions about it based on that. I prefer more modern methods to recovery Personally, but I know people in the progrsm that are aware of BIll's indiscretions and seem to be okay with it.
Thank you for your post, I hope mine did not come off as too flippant, as that was not my intention.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The recent reasoning in this thread reminded me of the passage below.

When he gets to his pew and looks round him he sees just that selection of his neighbors whom he has hitherto avoided. You want to lean pretty heavily on those neighbors. Make his mind flit to and fro between an expression like "the body of Christ" and the actual faces in the next pew. It matters very little, of course, what kind of people that next pew really contains. You may know one of them to be a great warrior on the Enemy's side. No matter. Your patient, thanks to Our Father below, is a fool. Provided that any of those neighbors sing out of tune, or have boots that squeak, or double chins, or odd clothes, the patient will quite easily believe that their religion must therefore be somehow ridiculous.
C. H. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

prefer more modern methods to recovery Personally, but I know people in the progrsm that are aware of BIll's indiscretions and seem to be okay with it.
That was between him and Lois. She chose to stay with him and she obviously had her reasons. I would not have tolerated his cheating but obviously she did.
Cheating is not that out of the ordinary
http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/c...nfidelity.html
Between 30 and 60% of people cheat during their marriage.
It does not make it ok by all means but it is not something so out whack that it is unforgivable.
Their marital problems have very little to do with my recovery.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
The recent reasoning in this thread reminded me of the passage below.

When he gets to his pew and looks round him he sees just that selection of his neighbors whom he has hitherto avoided. You want to lean pretty heavily on those neighbors. Make his mind flit to and fro between an expression like "the body of Christ" and the actual faces in the next pew. It matters very little, of course, what kind of people that next pew really contains. You may know one of them to be a great warrior on the Enemy's side. No matter. Your patient, thanks to Our Father below, is a fool. Provided that any of those neighbors sing out of tune, or have boots that squeak, or double chins, or odd clothes, the patient will quite easily believe that their religion must therefore be somehow ridiculous.
C. H. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters
I'm assuming the reference to the "fool" influenced by the "one down below", to you, are those in this thread with a different opinion than yours?
Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

No actually. I believe that I clearly stated that I'm referring to the reasoning.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
No actually. I believe that I clearly stated that I'm referring to the reasoning.
What reasoning are you referring to? Your opinions are always well thought out and respected so I would be interested to hear.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I understand the OP's point of view. It can be difficult to adhere to a program that the founder of the program himself had difficulty following.
Bill was one of the founders - plural, not singular.

He was a normal flawed guy like the rest of us.

It's easy to go 'Bill bashing' - it's a metonymic fallacy to take the part as the whole - I reckon all you guys are intelligent enough to know this.

Let's reel ourselves in a little.

Dee
SR
Old 04-27-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
it's a metonymic fallacy to take the part as the whole
In this case, I would disagree. However, I will yield to the mod and end any input to this thread. No hard feelings to anyone here
Old 04-27-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Always well thought out and respected? I beg to differ, on both counts.

The content of belief is different from the person who holds it, even if that person is the original proponent of the idea. What the person who holds it does (or does not do) is irrelevant to the truth or falsity of that belief. I believe this is what Mr. Lewis was getting at, and brilliantly IMO.