Notices

The BB needs a Glossary

Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The BB needs a Glossary

to explain all the unusual terms in it. I have been in the program for three years and I still find myself Google searching terms in the BB. Crockery, Whoopi party, and Bacchus, are all things I had never heard of before coming to AA. Terms and slang have changed a lot since than.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Pacc1986 View Post
to explain all the unusual terms in it. I have been in the program for three years and I still find myself Google searching terms in the BB. Crockery, Whoopi party, and Bacchus, are all things I had never heard of before coming to AA. Terms and slang have changed a lot since than.
This is why, when I was a newcomer, it was suggested that I study with the BB in one hand and a dictionary in the other.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

When I think of Whoopi party, I think of

Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
This is why, when I was a newcomer, it was suggested that I study with the BB in one hand and a dictionary in the other.

(o:
NoelleR
I don't think you would find most the therm in the dictionary though. A lot of it was slang from the 30s and 40s.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Overthinking it could land you in the Booby Hatch!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
When I think of Whoopi party, I think of
You kill me!

I have a guy in my home group who says that is why he read Living Sober when on his own and the BB only with his sponsor.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I was told to get a dictionary also,but not any dictionary.
Since Bill and Bob most likely used the old 1898 Websters or one from the early 1900`s,maybe the 1928,I was advised to get a oldest dictionary I could find.
I looked around my house and found a old 1941 Websters which is one of my favorite books still to this day.
Since I started using it,I have become aware the definitions have changed somewhat since the writing of the big book and today,especially the online definitions.I suggest others to do the same who may be interested in the same message Bill and Bob left us.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I was advised to get a oldest dictionary I could find.
Don't get the Websters 1828 edition. Not if you need to look up agnostic anyway. That term would not be coined for another couple decades.

A dictionary from the same period is a good idea because even the common usage of some words change slightly. I think there was a 1938 or 39 edition of Websters, which would be ideal.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A couple of things that bugged me until I finally did a search for the meaning:

"The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed."

I had never realized that one of the definitions for "presently" is: "In a short time; soon." So that sentence never made sense to me until I found that definition.

and

"We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness."

Apparently "to a man" means "without exception."

I am usually a dictionary geek, but for some reason I read/heard those over and over without understanding them before I finally did a search.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I always wondered if being "rocketed into the fourth dimension" referred to his dropping acid for "ego smashing".
Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
I always wondered if being "rocketed into the fourth dimension" referred to his dropping acid for "ego smashing".
Nope. Bill's use of LSD (which was BTW completely legal and medically supervised) was not until the mid 50's and the book came out in 1939.

The fourth dimension is actually time. The first three are length, width and height.

I think that the "rocketed into the fourth dimension" phrase was Bill's slightly awkward reference to Einsteins concept of spacetime (which is the fusion of space and time or sometimes now referred to as Minkowski continuum). I can forgive Bill for the awkward reference to time, when in fact what I believe what he was referencing was Einsteins insights which shook the foundations of science just 14 years prior. Einsteins general theory of relativity is not commonly understood even today (100 years later). It goes against our 'common sense'.

I think what he meant to say was that alcoholics come to view things in a completely different way by applying spiritual principles and following a spiritual awakening. This being analogous to how science came to view reality in a differently way when viewed through the lens of Einstein's theory and which showed that space and time were not separate 'things' but were fundamentally one.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd hep you jeffs to my jive, but I gotta 23 skidoo....

D
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Nope. Bill's use of LSD (which was BTW completely legal and medically supervised) was not until the mid 50's and the book came out in 1939.

The fourth dimension is actually time. The first three are length, width and height.

I think that the "rocketed into the fourth dimension" phrase was Bill's slightly awkward reference to Einsteins concept of spacetime (which is the fusion of space and time or sometimes now referred to as Minkowski continuum). I can forgive Bill for the awkward reference to time, when in fact what I believe what he was referencing was Einsteins insights which shook the foundations of science just 14 years prior. Einsteins general theory of relativity is not commonly understood even today (100 years later). It goes against our 'common sense'.

I think what he meant to say was that alcoholics come to view things in a completely different way by applying spiritual principles and following a spiritual awakening. This being analogous to how science came to view reality in a differently way when viewed through the lens of Einstein's theory and which showed that space and time were not separate 'things' but were fundamentally one.
Billy W did receive belladonna treatment which is mentioned in the BB. That is a hallucinogen. I don't think the 4th dimension has anything to do with tripping though. All I can say is that since getting sober and working a program crazy things have happened to me that science can not explain. I truly believe that there is more to this world than the eye can see.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

SR does not allow links to commercial web sites so I guess I will have to describe it in general terms.

There is an Big Book dictionary and a 12&12 dictionary available from a company named the RecoveryEmporium. I have seen it sold at AA conventions and even at some AA meetings for $3.00

Some of the Big Book meetings that I go to use it right along side the Big Book and make an announcement that anyone can raise their hand and ask for a definition in real time.

It is also available as a PDF download but again I can't link to it per SR rules.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think the book says "rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed" . To me it is a reference to the fellowship of the Spirit, as distinct from the spirit of the fellowship, and is a state brought on through spiritual experience and maintained by practicing spiritual principles.

There are "4th dimension" groups in existence, perhaps one of their members would enlighten us further. My bet is they are very focussed on helping others.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

There are "4th dimension" groups in existence
You may be right, but nobody has figured out how to get to it yet.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pacc1986 View Post
I noticed someone suggested the use of a dictionary. I'd also suggest the use of a sponsor. A sponsor, to me is similar to using a guide when I'm visiting a strange new country when I don't know my way around or understand the "language". I'd also suggest that you might consider trying to use AA material without trying to find fault with it. Getting sober is about finding my own faults and getting help to deal with them so I don't have to drink about them. An attitude of gratitude for the Big Book might also be helpful.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just watched the Ylvis vid (what does the fox say?)yesterday with the kids and was reminded of some of the BB words
Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
I noticed someone suggested the use of a dictionary. I'd also suggest the use of a sponsor. A sponsor, to me is similar to using a guide when I'm visiting a strange new country when I don't know my way around or understand the "language". I'd also suggest that you might consider trying to use AA material without trying to find fault with it. Getting sober is about finding my own faults and getting help to deal with them so I don't have to drink about them. An attitude of gratitude for the Big Book might also be helpful.
So, if someone shows curiosity about the terminology used in a book, that means they're "finding fault" with it or demonstrating a lack of "gratitude?"

I would think just the opposite -- that someone who asks questions is more likely to absorb and comprehend the context of the book than someone who is dully incurious, irrespective of their level of "gratitude."