Notices

AA in New Zealand

Old 03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA in New Zealand

Wondered if any forum members are based in NZ. I am heading over in July/August and was interested to know how active AA were there. I can see that there appears to be plenty of meeting to check out, but I am interested to know whether as a group they met for coffee went hiking etc.

I am in the UK.

Pixy
Old 03-14-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Pixy,

I got sober in NZ and have been active in AA there for many years. There are plenty of meetings but not that many with a regular social component. My home town of Christchurch has hardly any groups that I can think of that do much of that.

Wellington AA is a different story. Spiritual Concepts is an amazing group that meets at 8.00 am on a Sunday morning and they go for a cafe breakfast afterwards. This group does a lot of work in detox and hospitals as well, a great bunch of people.

Another group in wellington is Drydock. Again a very friendly bunch meeting on a Friday night and they often go out for a meal.

In Auckland on a Saturday night is the your people's meetings, starts at 7.00 I think, and they ll go for a meal after. Really nice folks.

Those are a few I have been to myself and really enjoyed. I love that fellowship after the meeting.

I'd love to show you around but I am heading off to Vanuatu in my boat in late April with no definite return time. So I won't be around. If you want some contacts for wellington, let me know.