Notices

Who We See Here...

Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

Who We See Here...

Are you on Linked-In, Facebook, or other social media that may be viewed by business colleagues, competitors, or not-so-spiritually-enlightened acquaintances?

Perception matters. I have a couple social accounts that people in 'the rooms' are accessing to request connections--people that do not work in the business space that I travel in, are not remotely qualified as employment prospects, potential customers, or professional partnerships.

Now. I KNOW men and women within the rooms that ARE in this business and what goes on in there, who we see there, what we hear there, when we leave there it remains there. It's understood and, if they're new face-to-face (f2f) attendees, gift certificate or not, someone is sure to remind them.

What’s your EXPERIENCE on allowing alcoholics into your professional sphere?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

My first couple of years sober, I was a little paranoid about who knew I was in recovery.

After that, I was confident enough to say "I couldn't care less".
Old 03-05-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had good and bad.
Some have worked for or with me and have been excellent to workers.
And some haven't.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I am in the same business as my oldest friend in AA and we often collaborate on projects. There are others who I've learned are in recovery after we've worked together. Some are clients others are colleagues. That's all good. I prefer not to take on fellow AA members as clients (I'm an IT consultant). My grandma was wise old woman who once told me never s**t where you eat. I took that lesson to heart after some hard learned lessons.

As for who knows I'm in recovery, I will share if I can help someone. However, it's generally not a good marketing practice to show up at a job and say, "hey I'm Allan. I can fix your network and by the way, I'm a recovering garbage head alkie junkie. Just sayin.

-allan
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skg

thanks

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
My grandma was wise old woman who once told me never s**t where you eat. I took that lesson to heart after some hard learned lessons.
As for who knows I'm in recovery, I will share if I can help someone. However, it's generally not a good marketing practice to show up at a job and say, "hey I'm Allan. I can fix your network and by the way, I'm a recovering garbage head alkie junkie. Just sayin.
Thanks. This is my experience, too, thank you. If I were retired I would probably have a different perspective. I've been consistent about my response to those who 'find out' (usually by attending meetings and find me smiling there...) what I am, but infecting my professional contacts and colleagues' networks is a protection for them as well as myself. I don't mind them finding out and will share with those who ask. There seem to be a bunch of liars, cheaters, and horse thieves in the rooms of AA--despite my dramatic conversion to sainthood... I'm different, you see...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't mind people knowing I'm in recovery if there's a good reason for it.
But I am very careful of my boundaries today - especially in these intense times in which we're living.

It was suggested to me to only share my personal stuff with a few people and my last sponsor said "What are you doing on social media?"
Old 03-07-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have found it is not good to mix my business with AA people.
I don`t mind anyone knowing I am in recovery,but some past experiences from a few friends suggest things go better to keep the 2 separated.You eliminate a lot of potential problems
Old 03-07-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skg View Post
Are you on Linked-In, Facebook, or other social media that may be viewed by business colleagues, competitors, or not-so-spiritually-enlightened acquaintances?
I am on Linkedin and FB.

I have never linked or had anyone request to link to me via Linkedin that I knew in AA. None of them, as far as I know, are in the same industry as me.

FB is another story. Almost all of my friends are recovering alcoholics. I am not open as a recovering alcoholic on FB but it would not take a rocket scientist to figure it out by the things I post or the comments or likes on other people's posts that I am in some type of recovery.

I had a person I recently became friends with post about a meeting we were at the night before and I felt panic for about 2 seconds and then thought, who gives a hoot. It does not bother me anymore and if it bothers the 0.1% of my non-alcoholic friends then I guess they are not really my friend.

I have had people friend me because I am a friend of a friend in the program and some of those have worked out and others not so much. Their lives are still in chaos and were constant posters so I felt I needed to remove them later.

I do take the time to decide today what is best for me. Maybe that person needs to post about every intimate detail of their life, and that is fine, but I don't need to be dragged in to the drama. I have a choice today.

Make what you feel is he best choice for you. It is your life, your career, not theirs.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skg View Post

Perception matters. I have a couple social accounts that people in 'the rooms' are accessing to request connections--people that do not work in the business space that I travel in, are not remotely qualified as employment prospects, potential customers, or professional partnerships.

Now. I KNOW men and women within the rooms that ARE in this business and what goes on in there, who we see there, what we hear there, when we leave there it remains there. It's understood and, if they're new face-to-face (f2f) attendees, gift certificate or not, someone is sure to remind them.

Generally I don't. Unless I know the person well outside of the AA rooms I don't feel comfortable lending my name as a recommendation or introduction.