Notices

Lord's Prayer vs The Serenity Prayer

Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Out of the hundreds of meetings we have here a week, I would say that about 20% end with the Lord's Prayer. Most use serenity or the responsibility pledge. A few use the "we" version of the serenity prayer. Rather than pointlessly argue about the roots and genesis of the Lord's Prayer, it's more practical for me to just roll with it and practice the "when in Rome..." kind of deal.

I would hate to leave a great hour long meeting with a resentment over a 15 second prayer.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

First, despite your description, I don't think anybody is 'required' to say anything at the end of a meeting. Nor is there any authority by anyone to impose such requirements.

A group format, however, is perfectly within the authority of the group conscience of the autonomous home group. That group can designate whatever prayer (even Muslim), no prayer, or left to leader discretion, as they see fit as a group. If that particular prayer was decided upon by group conscience, then the members are perfectly within their rights to insist that the format is followed.

It's quite simple. As member of that home group, you have every right to express your concerns and opinions, and suggest format changes, including what prayer (or none) is used.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Couldn't the secretary direct the chair at the end of the meeting, by saying to them 'would you like to close the meeting in the usual way, the usual way in this meeting is to close with the Lord's prayer' Would save any future interruptions?

That is of course, if the group conscience goes the way of the Lord's prayer...in which case asking for the above, would save the chair any avoidable embarrassment?

Personally, no strong opinion on which prayer is used to close a meeting. Only reservation is how this comes across to someone completely new - it's potentially confusing to end a 'no affiliation' branded meeting with a clearly Christian prayer, but as an earlier poster pointed out, the serenity prayer has a Christian provenance (what it being written by a Reverend :-) Neither would offend me now...

But don't get me started on holding hands.... ;-)
Old 03-02-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Even though I think the Lord's Prayer is an excellent prayer, I don't understand how it ended up in AA meetings. It is clearly religion specific.

The Serenity Prayer, on the other hand, is mostly generic. Except for the first word. If I had my way, it would start out "Wrtu, grant me the serenity..."
(Whatever Runs The Universe)
You of all people should know that the concepts in the lords prayer are fairly generic spiritual concepts.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

why not the "11th step prayer", the St Francis Prayer?

Anyone can adopt that prayer to fit their own beliefs. Instead of saying, "Lord, make me..." You can say, "Doorknob make me..." Or better yet, just recite the prayer and leave out all of the references to some deity and use it as guide for living.

And whoever mentioned that group in Brooklyn that uses the Lord's Prayer and all things Christian, the reason is because they are doing it by the book.

AND

Where I live the LP is the close of all meetings 7 days a week 365 days a year. And I love how they start it. I kid you not, they say, "Whose father?"And "everybody" joins in with, "Our father..." It cracked me up the first many times I heard it.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Where I live the LP is the close of all meetings 7 days a week 365 days a year. And I love how they start it. I kid you not, they say, "Whose father?"And "everybody" joins in with, "Our father..." It cracked me up the first many times I heard it.
I used to reply "yours". Then i got over it Something about ceasing to fight everyone and everything. AA, when I work it, has a way of ruining my crankiness.

And BTW, St. Francis never didn't write the St. Francis prayer. i got also got over that. It's an excellent prayer!

-allan
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Here's one of my favorite prayers.........

God, please let me become the man my dog thinks I am

Keep coming back~
Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

You of all people should know that the concepts in the lords prayer are fairly generic spiritual concepts.
Generic concepts - Yes. Generic language - No

"Our Father" is strictly Judea/Christian nomenclature. I prefer principles over personalities.

"Wrtu" is much more ecumenical.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm in Mesa, AZ right now and went to an evening meeting. It was a fairly small meeting (7) members and all hard-core BB thumpers.

I'm a visitor so I good along with the program. When the meeting closed I knew it was going to be with the Lord's Prayer and it was. Not a big deal.

I grew up reciting the LP at school. (Catholic school.)

However, the first time I heard the LP closing a meeting I was surprised. My initially reaction was I though AA was non-denominational.

But it's all good. God generally looks after saints, fools and alcoholics.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The original 100 believed in GOD the FATHER. Bill's story( must turn all things over to the Father of Light who presides over us all) Doctor Bob's nightmare( your Heavenly Father will never let you down) they knew the Truth about GOD who HE is!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
I've done research (multiple readings) on this prayer and BadCompany sums it up nicely.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey Joe,

If you're still around on this one, check out this short entry and link on 12 Step Buddhist...

The Lord's Prayer - What it Really Means in Recovery | the 12 Step Buddhist
P
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Still here. Link won't open on my iPad, but I'm interested in reading that. Will do so when I can.

Also reconsidering even bringing this up. Starting to think it will cause more harm than good. The majority of people seem perfectly content the way it is. I'm not about making enemies in AA. Only place I ever seem to do that actually, is here .
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post

Also reconsidering even bringing this up. Starting to think it will cause more harm than good. The majority of people seem perfectly content the way it is. I'm not about making enemies in AA. Only place I ever seem to do that actually, is here .
Why do you phrase your meaning in terms of making enemies? People in disagreement doesn't equate to people necessarily being enemies I'm sure you'd be in agreement with this statement. I have no idea if you have enemies on SR. I do know I'm a friend of yours even though we don't always agree on whatever.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Why do you phrase your meaning in terms of making enemies? People in disagreement doesn't equate to people necessarily being enemies I'm sure you'd be in agreement with this statement. I have no idea if you have enemies on SR. I do know I'm a friend of yours even though we don't always agree on whatever.
It's a character defect my HP has yet to completely remove . I can sometimes "overstate" things? And make them more negative than they actually are, or need to be. I understand, agree with you, and questioned whether I should have said that or not when I posted. And fwiw, I've always been cool with any differences of opinion btwn you and I. There are however a couple of people here who I'm fairly certain would be much happier if I wasn't here. And for the most part I'm ok with that. I do my best to listen (read) the message, and disregard the messenger.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The Lord's Prayer really is widely accepted outside of the Judeo-Christian doctrine, it seems. I was researching and found this example of these generic spiritual truths from a surprising source.

Ceiling Cat Prayerz n Stuffs
9 u pray leik dis: Ceiling Cat, who r watchin us, u can has cheezburger.10 Wut yu want, yu gets, srsly.11 Let us dis day has our dalee cheezburger.12 And furgiv us for makin u a cookie, but eateding it, same as we furgiv teh kittehz taht maked us cookiez, but eated tehm.13 An leed us not into teh showa, but deliver us from teh wawter. Cuz all our base n teh pwnage n teh +1s r belong 2 U 4eva&evah, srlsy kthxbai.
14 if u sais sry Ceiling Cat will be leik s'ok iz kewl.15 if u donut sez sry Ceiling Cat will pwn u.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Still here. Link won't open on my iPad, but I'm interested in reading that. Will do so when I can.

heck,

Joe - I am glad you posted this and glad you're here~!
If you want to see how spiritually developed someone is, disagree with them

I have learned in recovery there are very few absolute truths. Life is not black or white, right or wrong. If something bothers you, I would hope in the confines of SR being open and honest you can always express that. Sometime my HP on SR is the ignore button

For me, I cannot be forced to do anything......I can either be tolerant, state my case - group consciousness meeting - or move on. I suppose none of those are mutually exclusive. I cannot take offense towards those that disagree with me. But, sometimes we owe it to ourselves to say how we feel. THAT is what recovery is all about.

Keep coming back!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Also reconsidering even bringing this up. Starting to think it will cause more harm than good. The majority of people seem perfectly content the way it is.
I for one, believe that the LP is controversial enough that some changes will occur at the AAWS level within the next decade because of it.

I'm not about making enemies in AA. Only place I ever seem to do that actually, is here .
I'm all about making enemies. Those who challenge my thinking force me to re-evaluate my ideas, motivate me to do further research and help me learn both sides of any argument.

Besides, my enemies are my muses. I do some of my best writing when I am PO'd at someone.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Generic concepts - Yes. Generic language - No

"Our Father" is strictly Judea/Christian nomenclature. I prefer principles over personalities.

"Wrtu" is much more ecumenical.

You can find paternal and maternal references in native american and hindu spirituality.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

The only things absolutely exclusive to Christianity is a day a time and a place for the death and resurrection. All the rest can be found in other religions.