Notices

Sponsor or ... another way to work the steps?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Step meetings are great. FWIW, I would also suggest some Big Book meetings if you want by the book sponsorship. There are plenty here in NYC. Keep asking and your head up. The sponsor will come.

-allan
Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
FWIW, I would also suggest some Big Book meetings if you want by the book sponsorship. There are plenty here in NYC.
Thanks, Allan. Former sponsor just sent me a list of BB meetings. One thing at a time LOL!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Courage, you could have written this about me.....

I had an issue with my sponsor a few months back and while I never sought to say goodbye or find a new one (the thought did cross my mind) I took advice from other friends in AA. Their suggestion was much like what you post - sort of a polyglot group of folks to draw from as needed.

For me AA embodies the concept of Tacit Knowledge transfer - I need more than I can simply get from the book by reading it - but, today I don't feel beholden to one "sponsor".

I feel like I learned early to do - as you - service and I try to work 10-11-12 daily. I think I am too pigheaded to get onboard with an old timer set in archaic ways..... I identify more with a 3-5 year guy who still remembers those first 24 months.

Thanks for the thread it's very useful.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
skg

Hi, Courage2.
"For every nut in AA, there's a wrench."
The best program is the one that keeps YOU sober.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My first sponsor never had a sponsor or went threw the steps and was a drug attack not an alcoholic it hurt me when I found out and I fired him.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

AA first tradition ( no AA can compel another AA to do anything) that tradition broken everyday at every meeting
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

But the big book also says share experience strength and hope I like that better. How would I get better if I didn't take directions or suggestions. Resentment about something gives me a poor attitude the last couple days sorry.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
skg

First Tradition

Our COMMON welfare should come first is my understanding of the First Tradition. It's the UNITY part of the Recovery Triangle...
I am free to do whatever I want, yep, but that may mean standing out in the hallway during meetings...

I was told in my early meetings that The Twelve Steps were there to help me keep from killing myself; The Twelve Traditions were there to help me keep from killing everyone else. They are, as it turns out, a very fine framework for most interpersonal relationships. Or so I am reminded from time to time...
Old 04-25-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is up to you. Lots of people stay sober without the steps. Lots of people enjoy the steps there are many paths
Old 04-25-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Sounds like they did you a favor. If you work the steps with someone who did not do it the BB way, you will end up just like them.
Yes, but the same can be said for many that have done the 12-steps the traditional way and are still screwed up.

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
What makes you think that's a bad thing, Boleo? All these people have lots of years sober and do service and contribute quite a lot, I think. That's why I asked them in particular.
Good point

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I don't think that it is a "bad" thing, I think that it would place a glass-ceiling on your recovery.

You may not be thinking of it yet... but there may come a day when you will get an urge to sponsor others. Don't put yourself in a position where you will be inclined to say no.
I would agree with this.

I haven`t done the steps in the traditional manner with a sponsor. However, I am up front about this and will recommend a step sponsor if they like. Personally, I prefer telling my sins to a priest in a confessional (where I did my first "5th” decades ago.) I also don`t feel comfortable hearing a 5th and would prefer a member use someone else.

Originally Posted by greens View Post
It is up to you. Lots of people stay sober without the steps. Lots of people enjoy the steps there are many paths
Agree. It`s a program of attraction and not promotion.

I am where I am today because of being sober and I got sober in AA.

Sure, I like it when members sometimes compliment me on my shares. However, it`s not about sounding good in the rooms (or on a message board.) It`s how I live my life outside that counts.