Notices

Why is there no tradition study?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is there no tradition study?

No one takes the traditions seriously I guess.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Simple solution: start one.
Quite a few around here
Old 01-31-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

go for it Mark,there are quite a few people here who take it serious

I used to complaint about the tradition studies being boring until the crap hit the fan in a meeting once.
Then I dusted off my 12x12 and AA comes of Age and got to studying and went and got a service sponsor who helped me with those traditions and concepts.

I can kick up some dust in a tradition study
Old 01-31-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Start one
Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

My old home group back East had a steps and traditions meeting. We studied both.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

We have step/traditions study groups -- the ones I've been to alternate steps w/traditions. I agree w/those who say "start one."
Old 01-31-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

We have them here in Maryland, DC, and Virginia
Old 01-31-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

duplicate post.....
Old 01-31-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
We have step/traditions study groups -- the ones I've been to alternate steps w/traditions. I agree w/those who say "start one."
Ditto - we too have multiple study topic groups. We tend to rotate - ie, 12x12 and traditions/big book.

Love the traditions. It what truly has kept AA going all these years while other precursor organizations faded away.

I watched the documentary about Bill W several months back and discusses advent of traditions. It claims a group in FL served beer!?!?
My home group reads two traditions each meeting. Another reads every tradition - long form each meeting rotating that with either how it works, a vision for you or more about alcoholism.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Theres a meeting that does a lead on a step then tradition, then we split into groups of 2 3 or 4 and every body picks a number in order then randomly sits down with people. So theres no clicks.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool

I dunno; I could be wrong, but I read the OP's question to mean why is there no tradition study (forum?) here on SR; like there is a step study. But like I said; I could be wrong.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I read it the same way, NoelleR.

Feel free to start one, markz, instead of making snarky comments about there not being one.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The way forums are created here is a thread is created, if there's enough interest in that - then the idea of a forum or sub forum cam be considered.

so, knock yourself out Markz....ball's in your court.

D
Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noeller View Post
i dunno; i could be wrong, but i read the op's question to mean why is there no tradition study (forum?) here on sr; like there is a step study. But like i said; i could be wrong.

(o:
Noeller
bingo!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I dunno; I could be wrong, but I read the OP's question to mean why is there no tradition study (forum?) here on SR; like there is a step study. But like I said; I could be wrong.

(o:
NoelleR
Oh ok LOL that makes sense now.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

We do tradition studies in some of the groups up here. Usually it's once a month they will focus on a tradition and read long form and discuss it. It's not a formal study per se, but at least some of the groups are trying to get it out there.

As for SR having a Trad study - as Dee said, if there is enough interest, it certainly can be approached. On the "outside" there is nothing from stopping you from starting one!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Finally received my Bill W DVD and trying to get the DVD player to work. I'm staying at a friends and gonna take another crack at it.

I couldn't "hear" the traditions until I did the steps. Now I love them and meetings that read and discuss them. It's important for doing service.

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Ditto - we too have multiple study topic groups. We tend to rotate - ie, 12x12 and traditions/big book.

Love the traditions. It what truly has kept AA going all these years while other precursor organizations faded away.

I watched the documentary about Bill W several months back and discusses advent of traditions. It claims a group in FL served beer!?!?
My home group reads two traditions each meeting. Another reads every tradition - long form each meeting rotating that with either how it works, a vision for you or more about alcoholism.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Ah, yes - now I understand the question! The answers are easy, it's the questions I struggle with!>>>>>
Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think a traditions section would be very valuable here. Don't know of any place at all (as in on the planet) where people can actually get into discussions regarding them. There are traditions meetings in my neighborhood, but we read the tradition and then everyone shares, as in a meeting - with no or very little crosstalk. When the meeting is over, it's over. People go on with their lives and daily business. I think this would be an awesome place for people to share their own personal experiences with the traditions, their thoughts, opinions, writings, etc.

I vote yay!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We have very few meetings on this small island, but both AA and NA incorporate Tradition study into meeting topics.