Notices

Maintenance

Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Since I was a teenager, I've combatted fever blisters. The seeming result of a promiscuous youth. The physical pain of these sores when they show up hold nothing to the mental and emotional upset they arouse. Providing a lifetime of recurring shame and guilt over yet another character defect from times gone by.

Though I've tried many remedies, nothing seemed to keep them at bay or slow them down once they arrived. Until my wife came upon a suggestion of taking a certain amount of Lysine every day. With great skepticism, I gave it a try. It's effectiveness was truly amazing. I went far longer than anytime in remembrance without one of these anguishing pests emerging. It seemed to be the solution I've always looked for.

Then, last week, one struck. And the reason? Did this new wonder solution quit working? No, I did. I started taking a smaller dose contained in a smaller pill. "Maybe I don't need so much of this stuff. Plus, this one is easier to get down. Softer on my throat". In true addict form, I thought I could get the same results from less medicine. And the disease was just lying in wait for the opportunity to strike. Literally days after I let up on the proven regimen, WHAM!

So why would I write about this relatively embarrassing tidbit of medical history? Because it demonstrates my propensity for the easier, softer way. For trying to achieve results without putting in the requisite, proven effort. For convincing myself that the disease isn't really that cunning, baffling, and powerful. To remind myself of these facts in a relatively innocuous forum. So I don't have to remember them in the deadly and potentially unrecoverable tailspin of relapse.

Commitment. Consistence. Persistence.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that remaining true to myself and accepting personal responsibility effects all aspects of my life. Medication, housework, job, relationships and my program.

If I do a little each day, my life runs rather smooth.

If I ignore or put off what should be done because I rest on my laurels and get complacent then the unmanageability can sneak back in rather quickly. I don't have to drink for this to happen. It is a lot harder to be at peace and to have serenity when the piles of personal responsibility are getting larger around me.

My problems are of my own making.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Of all the things I tried over the years, I find
AA is indeed the easier softer way - no doubt!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I find that remaining true to myself and accepting personal responsibility effects all aspects of my life. Medication, housework, job, relationships and my program.

If I do a little each day, my life runs rather smooth.

If I ignore or put off what should be done because I rest on my laurels and get complacent then the unmanageability can sneak back in rather quickly. I don't have to drink for this to happen. It is a lot harder to be at peace and to have serenity when the piles of personal responsibility are getting larger around me.

My problems are of my own making.

Not sure if I would agree that problems are (always) of my own making.

However, how I choose to response is up to me.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
However, how I choose to response is up to me.
This is what I meant. If I ignore personal responsibilities then they are of my own making, I was referring to maintenance, whether that is our program or our lives.

I agree that not EVERY single problem is my making but how I react to that problem is my making. I can have a bad reaction, a good reaction or no reaction. The choices are mine.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Exactly. There's often a lot of talk in the rooms of AA about this or that but unless I do the footwork and address my responsibilities in the real world my serenity will be shot. I prefer dealing with issues head-on instead of dumping in a AA meeting (although I've done my share of that over the years) or putting on a happy face and pretending a problem doesn't exist or will simply go away.

I do my best and I'm fortunate that sobriety has given me a full plate in life and what happens will happen. For me emotional sobriety is the ability to balance the ups and downs in life. I try not get too up when things are going well or down when problems develop. Not easy but I'm much better at recognizing my feelings today and where I'm at emotionally.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont like the term maintenance, if we do not grow, we are going backwards.
We should be growing, not "maintaining" or staying "level"
Our book communicates this theory with its reader.