Notices

Question about Spiritual Disease

Old 12-14-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Tiger Lili's point about Codependents Anonymous might be right on.

With that said, I went to a bunch of AA meetings, and would not say, "I'm an alcoholic. " A couple times, I said that I didn't know. Nobody was fazed, either way - and I didn't get any more reaction when I did say it (after I had concluded that for myself - there isn't a test you have to pass).

I quit AA once on the basis that I decided I didn't have "a desire to stop drinking". (Though I had tried once before that. ) A few months of (once again) progressively heavier drinking later, I decided that maybe, for my own health and well-being, I ought to have that desire.

I don't know if any of that helps. Either way, be well.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A lot of people go to AA without identifying as "members" via a desire to stop drinking. The Big Book is the basic text for all Anonymous groups and some groups don't have a big representation of meetings in some areas, so AA can become a catch all for people from other fellowships. At our meetings, half way through the chair calls on people who are new, visiting from another fellowship, another city/country/etc to identify.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Jakeysnakey View Post
Hi there,

I'm going to keep this brief:

I was introduced to the 12 steps a few years ago cause I was having issues with food. I attended regular meetings (4 a week or more) for about 2 years. My sponsor had encouraged me to look into my drinking, and I entered AA as well, though never believing I was an alcoholic. I absolutely drink over my feelings, and I have a compulsive history with drugs, though i would call it an addiction, though I could def not turn certain things down, to this day.

I stopped going to meetings cause my sponsor dropped me, and I decided that restricting my food was making my problem worse (which is not what OA is supposed to be, but that's what I was doing, albeit unaware). I've been out of meetings for about a year.

I'm so so spiritually sick. This is what I loved about the program - it pretty much guarantees a solution if you work the steps. Now that I'm pretty sure I'm not an alcoholic, and I know my food is kinda messed up but it's much better since I've stopped restricting....but man do I ever need a spiritual solution.

Where can I find one??? I feel like I need 12 steps for the minor addict. I find myself looking for things I might need to do to qualify for a program....like, I came home at lunch and drank 4 or so shots of vodka so I could handle the rest of the workday. Or, I finished a 15 pill bottle of xanax in four days....that kinda stuff.

I need a spiritual solution and all I know is the steps. Is there somewhere else I can turn?

Thanks to anyone who reads this.

JS
I think you could be in just the right city. Cameron F, bigbooksponsorship, runs a monthly workshop where you can take all twelve steps in four hours. While it is run under the auspices of Cocaine Anonymous, I believe it is open to sufferers of all addictions.

I have used Cameron's material here in NZ and found it very effective, all big book based. He is a very friendly and helpful guy. I am sure if you contact CA you will be able to participate.