Notices

Halt

Old 11-26-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Halt

HungryAngryLonelyTired

Was the discussion topic at a meeting I attended last night. It is one of our silly sayings that have a lot of meaning behind it. Basically if your just one of the above think of it as being 25% of the way to a drink. 2 of them 50%, and so on. Be all 4 at once and your in a bad spot.

One gentleman at the meeting put it in simple terms that in a comical way made a lot of sense.

If your hungry, eventually your going to wind up angry. Being that your hungry and angry, you'll wind up pissing someone else off leaving you lonely. Being that your hungry, angry, and lonely you just wind up tired from wasting all your energy on the previous 3.

I have to say I do this a lot of days during the week. I don't eat in the mornings, get busy at work which is high stress and at some point I wind up angry most days. The thing is these things can all be simply stopped with just the decision to do so. Hungry... eat, Angry... give it to God, Lonely... Use some of those numbers you have in that fancy phone. Tired... power nap time.

I had to laugh as I commented, I had not eaten till just before the meeting when I met with some other AA's at a diner. I had been angry over work as usual, and honestly yesterday was feeling lonely all day. In the meeting, belly full, anger dissipated, around friends that care so loneliness was gone, i comment basically as such and told them to get on with it as my chille coma was coming on strong.

I'd like to hear what you all think about HungryAngryLonelyTired and share some experiences about it.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If those things put me at risk to drink, then I would dead. As an alcoholic, I really didn't have triggers to drink, especially as my illness progressed. Secondly, those things seem to apply to people who have a problem drinking that isn't necessarily alcoholism. What you referenced in your post is an idea that comes from some place other than aa. Aa does not teach me to watch out to avoid triggers. It steers me towards a wholly spiritual solution. I hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm early in my sobriety but, I think that the letters in HALT are triggers for relapse. At least in early sobriety. Recently I drove pretty much for 48 hours straight. I had about a 6 hour break during the journey. Didn't eat and I was lonely and tired. After the completion of the trip I settled into a relapse. It was short lived but, I was right back to where I was before I was before I stopped. Hopefully as I gain more sobriety time HALT will become less and less of an issue. For now I'm very aware of its existence.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Personally, I find it difficult to be spiritually connected and on the beam when I am hungry, angry, lonely and tired.

In fact, if I have allowed myself to become hungry, angry, lonely and tired, I am already off the beam, disconnected, and not in a position to be of service to others and my higher power. Just like the flight attendants say, I've got to make sure my own mask is in place before I try to help my seatmate.

So yeah, H.A.L.T. is useful warning light on my dashboard.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Being in touch with spirit is connected to being in touch with the body and mind.

I don't get one without attention to all three. They are intimately connected.

Thanks for this post - I've known about HALT since early sobriety and it really helps me stay balanced. Balance and being centered is the key to my serenity. When something is off, I know to address it or pay the consequences. I love the quip your friend used in the meeting. I'm glad your chili and meeting gave you comfort.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting read if any interested.

http://www.royy.com/HALT.pdf
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

I agree that all of the H.A.L.T. symptoms can be a warning sign in early recovery. For me hungry and tired are temporary situations that can be easily remedied. Angry and lonely are the 2 things I have to be wary of and not let them fester. Luckily there is a simple solution for angry in working the steps and practicing step 10 on a regular basis. The fellowship of AA (and SR) guarantees that we never have to be lonely again.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

HALT
causes a lot of newcomers to go get drunk when they ignore it.

Hunger
makes me physically and mentally weak.
I feel bad and I remember I drank for the effect alcohol produced.Hunger produces temptation I don`t need.My body and nervous system is one of a alcoholic.I never took care of myself as I should and the time to do so is now.So I tart recuperating physically and mentally by eating,resting and sleeping regularly.

Anger
to put it plainly,when angry,I don`t give a crap.Twice since I last joined AA I almost got drunk,and both times it was anger and I knew excaly what would happen if I had a drink,I just didn`t care.The only thing I cared about was relief.Thankfully,I came to my senses before i got hold of a drink.

Lonely
I was lonely in a crowd.Being around people didn`t help much but it helped.Better yet,it helped me keep from isolating myself.Alone,by myself ,as a newcomer,my mind would run crazy and I spent too much time thinking about things I shouldn`t be thinking of.I could isolate myself into a mess,and seek companionship back in those old places with those old drinking people.

Tired
when I tired my mind and body don`t work well.I don`t fell like doing anything,like going to meetings.My mind ignores the daily things I should and need to do to stay sober and find happiness.

When we are Hungry, our bodies need sustenance.
When we are Angry, our bodies need quiet.
When we are Lonely, our bodies need closeness.
And when we are Tired, our bodies need rest.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by mick3580 View Post
If those things put me at risk to drink, then I would dead. As an alcoholic, I really didn't have triggers to drink, especially as my illness progressed.
I agree. These are really psychological tricks & tips to help those in early recovery get through some short lived cravings.

When I was a long-haul truck driver, I was pretty much bombarded by all 4 HALT symptoms every time that I had to work a 14 hour day, which was a lot.
Never made a difference either way for me. But then again, I had already had a spiritual awakening by then and triggers were a moot issue.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Program tells me to watch for selfishness, Dishonesty,resentment,and fear.

Program tells me letting up on the spiritual program of action and resting on my laurels will lead me to trouble.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I LOVED to drink on an empty stomach. It's just what I did.

About two years sober I had a burning desire to drink and it completely caught me by surprise. I had been hiking for about four hours and we came off the mountain and stopped at place that had all sorts of beers, a great view of the mountain, live music, etc. Like I walked into a trap.

I hadn't felt an urge to drink like that ever (without immediately caving and drinking).

They had free samples of some sort of food and I grabbed one, and realized I was famished. For some reason I immediately ordered a sandwich, salad, chips, etc. I gave no thought to whether or not my friends were going to eat and if my manners were OK. I just needed to eat.

Not two minutes into my sandwich I didn't feel like drinking anymore. For me it was that simple. The Angry, Lonely and Tired are not triggers for me to drink. Maybe triggers to be a jerk ... but not to drink.

It was humbling and a great relief, at the same time, to know that something as simple as an empty stomach could put me closer to a drink. To this day I'm not around alcohol on an empty stomach, and if I end up there I eat immediately or leave to get something to eat.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

An addendum to what AnyLengths said, and a reminder what AA/recovery says/doesn't say......

It does NOT say that we shouldn't be hungry, angry, lonely, and/or tired.

What AA/recovery does say is that we should watch out when becoming TOO hungry, or TOO angry, or TOO lonely, or TOO tired.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 11-28-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I was never a fan of HALT, as it seemed a bit of a short cut, a sort of slogan. I understand that very early on, it can be useful in being aware of our state of mind / body / spirit, which is much better than the numbing we used to do. But the program teaches me that I can move through all sorts of turmoil, big and small, with my connection to a HP and the support of the fellowship. I can apply steps. Sometimes a sandwich is all I need. Other times it's moving through great fears to move past a challenging time in my life. Either way, the program applies in different measures.

I am very much a believer in the mind / body / spirit connection, and know that when I am not taking care of my body, I can affected mentally and even spiritually. Will that lead me down the road to a drink? Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of the steps, I don't think so. But it does keep me in self-awareness and self-care. Am I tired? I will do my best to rest. Or find 5 min to sit in quiet at the very least. In the end, if HALT is helping someone overcome a momentary desire, then I'm for it. Is it a long-term thing? Not in my opinion. I have a HP for that
Old 11-28-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
An addendum to what AnyLengths said, and a reminder what AA/recovery says/doesn't say...... It does NOT say that we shouldn't be hungry, angry, lonely, and/or tired. What AA/recovery does say is that we should watch out when becoming TOO hungry, or TOO angry, or TOO lonely, or TOO tired. (o: NoelleR
I thought I was pretty familiar with aa. But I don't know who states these things and where in aa they are documented. Can you point me in the right direction. I don't want to argue. But I would like to arrive at common understanding if it all possible.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovered

When I was newly sober, my personal "HALT" was "H3BELT".

Hungry, Horny, Hormonal, Bored, Emotional, Lonely, Tired

In other words, when I was awake. lol

Now that I have situational and spiritual awareness, I don't use this acronym much, but it sure helped me in the beginning.

mfanch
Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

However spiritually awakened I am or like to believe I am, I'm still human and need food, rest, companionship and self awareness. Angry? An opportunity for 10th step inventory. Lonely? An opportunity for service.

Cheers.

-allan
Old 11-28-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by mick3580 View Post
I thought I was pretty familiar with aa. But I don't know who states these things and where in aa they are documented. Can you point me in the right direction. I don't want to argue. But I would like to arrive at common understanding if it all possible.
I'll give you one example and a suggestion................:

Example..........: In the pamphlet regarding leading a beginner's meeting it states...........: "The halt reminder—never getting TOO Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired."

Suggestion...........: Go to AA's official website and search "HALT"

(o:
NoelleR
Old 11-28-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Some great information on this post.

Can't remember where I picked it up but I always read it
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired
& Thirsty.

All true for me , coexisting with mind/body/spirit rationales !
Old 11-28-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

from the book,Sister Ignatia: Angel of Alcoholics Anonymous
ON PAGE 112-113

The new patient would recognize little things that happened and learn easy slogans to remember,like the word HALT.
The other patients told him not to get too hungry,angry,lonely or tired.
And true to their advice,when he got too hungry,they gave him food,when he got too angry,they gave him lots of time to share his frustrations.When he got too lonely,they gave him a sponsor and the friendship of other recovering men .When he was tired,they gave him a warm bed.The AA`s visitors spirit and helpfulness made it no longer possible to find contentment in his isolated world of one.