Notices

Is the Big Book a real reflection of AA?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
I think this is what is meant by the saying "Stick with the winners."
A guy in my home group (since moved out of state) used to twist this into "stick with the losers." According to him, the losers were the ones who just couldn't seem to buck and stay sober on coffee and meetings. They were the ones that had to dig deep into the program, take the Steps as if their life depended on it, and stay engaged in spiritual actions. Those 'winners' seemed to just will themselves sober and live happily ever after. :-)
Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Guess we are all works in progress when it comes to judging others.
I foresee a day when I will become so Spiritual that I will have "ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol".

However, I am not looking forward to it. When I have ceased discerning differences in people, places and things, I fear that my conversations and advice will be completely useless to mere mortals. For now, at least, I intend to use what communications skills that I currently have to convey my message

"Sometimes we become so damn spiritual that we are of no earthly use to anybody."
(Hank Johnson)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
I apologize if this discussion has already taken place. I've searched and not found it on here or on Google. I also apologize if there's a more appropriate forum for this, but this particular corner of the forum seems to be where everyone hangs out.

Anyway but so I read the Big Book and the 12 book and ... They remind me of letters I get sometimes from a man who is only very mildly schizoid. Or else they remind me of, like, Victorian-era treatises I had to read in college.

Not relatable. Not something I can fit in my brain.

But to hear people who are IN AA tell it, I hear something else entirely. And then I listened to this wonderful speech Hawks linked to on my other thread (Clancy I?), and that, too, is so much more relatable and real to me than those books.

I'm the kind who always thinks you ought to do your homework (I won't say I'm the kind who actually *does* it, but in this case I am XD), so I thought if I don't like the books I won't like the program. True or false or something in between?
I ran across this. You might be on to something.
Dr. Robert Sapolsky's lecture about Biological Underpinnings of Religiosity - YouTube
Old 11-21-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Seems to me like I kinda have to cease fighting in order to be able to discern.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I have not read all of the comments on this thread.

Just want to say that every time I see the title pop up .... "Is the Big Book a real reflection of AA?" ...... I just think "Am I a real reflection of AA? Am I attempting to live the principles in all my affairs?"
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

^^^^ This!