Notices

It takes all sorts

Old 09-30-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It takes all sorts

If there is one observation I'd make of the many and various personality types that make up AA as we know it.

Bill and Bob were both "straight laced" Kind of guys in their chosen fields. Both wore suits and ties to work each day and so they chose a relatively straight laced God of their own understanding.

I have observed that people who led a more 'alternative' lifestyle prior to AA, often go for 'alternative' higher power or spiritual concepts in AA.

This observation bares out in my home group where most of us suit and tie conformity types just go "Oh well, God it is" and the guys with dreaded hair or who were former punk rockers or modern day hippies, always lean towards Buddhist stuff or something 'alternative' to a straight laced God.

Thoughts??
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a 12 Step Jedi.
So I get what you're saying.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
If there is one observation I'd make of the many and various personality types that make up AA as we know it.

Bill and Bob were both "straight laced" Kind of guys in their chosen fields. Both wore suits and ties to work each day and so they chose a relatively straight laced God of their own understanding.

I have observed that people who led a more 'alternative' lifestyle prior to AA, often go for 'alternative' higher power or spiritual concepts in AA.

This observation bares out in my home group where most of us suit and tie conformity types just go "Oh well, God it is" and the guys with dreaded hair or who were former punk rockers or modern day hippies, always lean towards Buddhist stuff or something 'alternative' to a straight laced God.

Thoughts??

It's all good.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thoughts??

D
Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The observation consists of more than looking, talking with and listening to, would be foremost in the formation of my observations.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
I'm a 12 Step Jedi.
So I get what you're saying.
"beings of light are we, not this crude matter"

Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think you may have a somewhat wrong impression of Bill's brand of the spiritual. Here are a few lines from his story.

"I simply had to believe in a Spirit of the Universe, who knew neither time nor limitation. But that was as far as I had gone.
With ministers, and the world's religions, I parted right there. When they talked of a God personal to me, who was love, superhuman strength and direction, I became irritated and my mind snapped shut against such a theory."

As for the suit and tie description. Here is a photo of Bill and Lois as they were when they traveled to collect information about companies for potential investment. Hardly a typical investment analyst, even then.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I agree with awuh1. Gotta know your AA history.....there's a LOT of information on AA history available....
Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Awuh1

Can you find a photo of Bill speaking at an AA meeting in anything other than a suit and tie?

I have not been able to find one yet. Or Dr Bob.

Of course he was not always so attired.... I'm tipping he did not sleep in a suit and tie.

Bills former thoughts of a spirit of the universe etc, were later supplanted by a more biblical embodiment. Which is evident in this prayer from the BB

"My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen." Pg76

All those that Bill sought as spiritual advisers, at least in the formative years of AA, Rev Sam Shoemaker, Father Ed Donnelly, Emmett Fox et al, were Christians.

Reverend Tunks took Dr Bob under his wing.

It was the 1930's.... I'm not sure they could have found much else, other than a biblical natured God?

I guess these days with a proliferation of non biblical literature readily available, not to mention the internet, we are lucky to be able to easily find many spiritual alternatives to a biblical God.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Whose to say your conception of a "straight laced God" is considered "alternative" to others?
I know a few suit and tie dudes who lean up against some very "non-traditional" Powers...

In the end, I think whatever works, works.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thoughts??
When younger, I had deep roots in Reggae music and Rastafari. Seemed to fit! Many I have found, change their concepts of a higher power as time goes on.

Know that I AM is what I ascribe to today. There was no fait accompli in this however or resignation based on my station in life.

The beauty of the program for me is the love and tolerance we try to have towards each other regardless of personal selection of one's higher power. That's the key!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I guess these days with a proliferation of non biblical literature readily available, not to mention the internet, we are lucky to be able to easily find many spiritual alternatives to a biblical God.
There has always been a proliferation of non biblical literature as well alternatives to an Abrahamic god. Hinduism and Buddhism (Buddhist "stuff") were established long before the bible was even a gleam in it's many authors eyes.

FWIW, I'm an aging apatheist gastrointestinal NY Jew with buddhist philosophical leanings. And a lifelong Punk (we never call ourselves punk rockers). I don't own a tie and if I had hair I might have dreads. Big whoop for me, right?.

Maybe you're on to something
Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
There ya go!

Can't judge right, by looking at wrong.....

peace
Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Paul

I was wondering what others observations (thoughts?) were and you've provided just that
Old 10-01-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There are many paths to God . . . .
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
There has always been a proliferation of non biblical literature as well alternatives to an Abrahamic god. Hinduism and Buddhism (Buddhist "stuff") were established long before the bible was even a gleam in it's many authors eyes.

FWIW, I'm an aging apatheist gastrointestinal NY Jew with buddhist philosophical leanings. And a lifelong Punk (we never call ourselves punk rockers). I don't own a tie and if I had hair I might have dreads. Big whoop for me, right?.

Maybe you're on to something
Buddhism does predate Christianity, no doubt, so far as I can tell though, there wouldn't have been much Buddhist literature available to Bill or Bob in 1930's America.

Or maybe there was?? And they just never considered giving it a read.

I dont know for sure.

I'd be very interested to know for sure, but I don't have a time machine (damn it)

So, I'm left to draw conclusions from what Bill & Bob wrote, so far as I can tell, they never came across any Buddhist people or literature and if they did, I have yet to find where it has been written about.

The world we know today....... It wasn't such a global village in the 1930's.

And yes CousinA, you are suggestive that my observations are not too wildly off kilter
Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I immediately recognized the very first time that I read the Big Book that what was described on pages 46 and 47 was not orthodox Christianity but rather Gnosticism:

" Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him."

" When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of God."
Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've entirely missed the point in this observation.

Is it to garner a way to separate the dreadlocked AAers from the suit and tie crowd? Because that is a simple way to build walls between us.

My God is mine. Even in a church, there are differing interpretations, and certainly different personal style. Why does it matter?

I'll bet they eat different food and have a different decorating style too. I don't get it.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
When younger, I had deep roots in Reggae music and Rastafari. Seemed to fit! Many I have found, change their concepts of a higher power as time goes on.

Know that I AM is what I ascribe to today. There was no fait accompli in this however or resignation based on my station in life.

The beauty of the program for me is the love and tolerance we try to have towards each other regardless of personal selection of one's higher power. That's the key!!!
G'day Flyn

AA today, is a bit like the United Colours of Bennetton ad's, but in a spiritual sense
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I've entirely missed the point in this observation.

Is it to garner a way to separate the dreadlocked AAers from the suit and tie crowd? Because that is a simple way to build walls between us.

My God is mine. Even in a church, there are differing interpretations, and certainly different personal style. Why does it matter?

I'll bet they eat different food and have a different decorating style too. I don't get it.
An observation doesn't require a point. There is nothing to get.

It's like cloud gazing. If I say I see a cloud that looks like an elephant and you say " I can't see how that cloud looks like an elephant ".... Is either of us guilty of anything other than gazing at clouds?