Notices

Step Study

Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step Study

I prayed on my dilemma with my sponsee last night and this morning and asked my HP for signs. More was revealed. During my Monday meeting there were several newcomers some with less than 30, 90 days and one with a couple years. All came to the realization today that they needed to work the steps and asked for sponsorship. I feel given my dilemma this was a message (this never happens at this meeting, which is open group).

I have decided to create a 1 hour step group study program after this meeting for 8 weeks to bring a small group of 3-4 through the steps. I am not volunteering to be their life sponsor or to read 5th steps if they don't want to but teach them the steps as I was taught.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice of you. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Not being funny, JD. But . . .

Were you taught the steps in a small group in 8 one-hour sessions, then?

Here's wishing you all the best.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I have decided to create a 1 hour step group study program after this meeting for 8 weeks...
There is already a 4 week program available for this sort of thing:

AA Back to Basics - It's all about saving lives!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys but I spoke to the Secretary of my Home Group and I am going to start an AWOL program.

Funny Boleo your comment reminded me of the movie Theres Something About Mary when the guy blows up the other guys 6 minute ab thesis with the idea of a 5 minute ab thesis, lol.

Anyhow, I do believe this was a message for me and I can help others - sponsees and sponsors. I have experienced both good and bad and can share my good with anyone who is willing to listen.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I've never read a 4th or 5th step.

I wish you well! Sounds like a great way to be of service to others!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is also a derivative of back to basics available through bigbooksponsorship, which is a very useful workshop. I have taken quite a few people either in groups or one at a time through, and nearly all are still sober.

Remember that Bill once made a statement about the sole purpose of an AA group being sobriety through the teaching and practice of the twelve steps. It was adopted as by three GSCs.

It means that the newcomer should first learn the steps, then practice them to stay sober. We learn by doing rather than studying.

To a large degree, what specific way our sponsor did things is irrelevant. Many people sponsoring have absorbed various opinions and practices that have nothing to do with the program, frequently getting in the way of their sponsees recovery, and their justification is "my sponsor said this" or "my counsellor said that", and some never had to go to the lengths we had to to get sober so they think you don't need to either.

These class room type methods were highly effective because they stuck closely to the book, and they are still highly effective today.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Gottalife.

As I have written on here in my journey...I had a sponsor who had not been brought through the book, as the book intended. He had adopted several methods from rehabs and ad libbed. All well intentioned but by a sponsor that provide him with inadequate tools. This proved a problem for me during my first 4th step, which took months.

During this time I had a very spiritual experience which led me to my step sponsor. My step sponsor is a "thumper." He practices just like Joe & Charley and adheres to the program. In fact, like a professor, I was his student and the BB was my textbook. There was no ad-libbing but specific things were made clear and highlighted, which was like a new text book for me.

I have passed this along to my first sponsee and witnessed the miracle first hand. I have a second sponsee on set #4, which I have written about some issues that we are working through. It is during my prayers and asking for more to be revealed that I attended my Monday meeting and I believe the message was several people acknowledging the need for step work. This never happens at this open meeting. I believe this was a message for me.

I put it out here to call myself out and checked in with a few people I trust. I needed to make sure that this was not my ego or I was being self centered and trying to control things. I don't believe I am and the AWOL (A Way of Life) program seems like it makes sense.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry guys - I did not realize AWOL was a non AA sanctioned thing - a half measure if you will.

I am going to call AA and look into options to start a sanctioned study class if possible. Gather the GSR's thoughts.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JD,
I don't think there are any "sanctioned" approaches to this sort of thing, each group being autonomous in how it conducts its business.

The Back to basics and its derivatives are based on how highly succesful groups carried the message in the past. The Little Red Book is another example. It would be hard to have an official endorsement by conference, because the conference did not
exist at that time.

I tried "putting it out there" on this issue and was amazed at the resistance to steps classes, and nearly all the resistance came from old timers.

In Auckland NZ, which I am visiting, I found Back to Basics beginners class running, and I have participated as a sharing partner for three newcomers. I noticed the same thing here. There was an oversupply of newcomers wanting to take the steps, but few old timers willing to help them in the B2B format. I don't understand why the OTs would be reluctant. It has been an amazing experience, probably did me more good than the newcomers, but my three are still sober, and they each seem to have found a new outlook on life to say the least.

Around the rooms I often see old timers shaking their heads at the newcomers and saying things like they are not ready or they are not willing, like somehow the newcomer is at fault. In actual fact the boot seems to be on the other foot. Plenty of newcomers are ready and willing, they just need someone like you to put their hand up and get it happening. But I wouldn't expect too much of the older members.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I am going to call AA and look into options to start a sanctioned study class if possible. Gather the GSR's thoughts.
Don't be surprised if there is no such thing as a "sanctioned study class" within the GSR, GSO or AAWS realm. AA's official stance is that it does not engage in education of any kind.

Even Joe&Charlie workshops and BackToBasics classes are non-approved.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys - huge help. I know what I need to do now and will update on the journey!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As always, just my opinion here...

Something about the idea of holding classes seems a little off to me. A step away from the spirit of AA that I know and love AA. Not saying it's not a good idea, nor that it wouldn't help people, but I think there are some inherent dangers in such a thing that only time would reveal.

Ego can very easily come into play when there is a teacher and students, so to speak. If it works out well and becomes a regular thing, it could easily begin to get ugly for a variety of reasons. Could easily become a program of AA according to JD. Only takes a little imagination to think of all the directions this can go... ego can quickly start having it's way in such a situation.

During my first couple of years of sobriety my sponsor and I got together with 2 other friends on a weekly basis in a private meeting (we rotated who's house we met in), and went through the bigbook and the steps. My sponsor at the time was pretty much the leader in these gatherings, as he had been through the steps and knew a lot more than us, but we never viewed him as our teacher, or anything more or different than what we were. We all felt like we were in this journey together. It was very informal, and we learned a lot - highlighting all the musts, jotting notes down, discussing what we read, sharing our experiences, etc.

Is it necessary to have this be an organized gathering, with a name, labels, and a set amount of time in which to accomplish things? Not saying it wouldn't be helpful, but I don't quite understand why the same thing couldn't be done in a low key private and informal get together with whoever you want to, and can help? Seems just as doable to me as the plan you're trying to organize, but keeps the ego in a much safer place.

Your enthusiasm is awesome. I believe you can help save lots and lots of lives. I think you might want to be a little cautious however, and be on guard bigtime with the ego. Checking my motives frequently helps me with that kind of thing. Do I want to bless, or impress?

Wishing you the best with this endeavor however you decide to go about doing it .

Just wanted to drop my $.02 in. Though I believe my $.02 is worth at least $.25 with inflation and all.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it is a marvellous idea and that their is not enough of this type of education in AA.

8 x 1 hour sessions is plenty.

8 hours learning. Work through them in a timely manner, then a lifetime to teach others and apply 10,11 & 12.

Dr Bob took thousands through the first 9 steps.

I'm tipping he wasn't on the "do one step a year" methodology.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Joe makes some good points, especially if the plan was one teacher and all the rest pupils. However that is not how the classes I have seen are run.

B2B has a set text derived from the big book, with some explanation, which is read by two readers taking turns. In turn, members of the sponsoring group take turns as readers, as do the graduates coming back to help others through.

Each newcomer either has there own sponsor attend with them, or has a sharing partner assigned. The sharing partner has previously taken the steps and makes the commitment to help the newcomer for the duration of the classes, which is usually 4 one hour sessions.

These classes were common in early AA and were discontinued when the 12 and 12 was published. Partly they seem to be due to the large numbers of new members and just not enough sponsors to go around. It was all hands to the pumps back then, through the class and then straight in to helping others. It seemed to work quite well then, and it seems to work just as well now.

Like Joe, my first reaction to this approach was reserved to say the least. " that's not how we were taught" and I might well have dismissed it without checking it out. But I did a little investigating of my own and thought the results I heard about might be worth the effort of giving it a try. It seems to work as advertised.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I used to meet at my home on Thursday nights with 4 or 5 guys I was sponsoring at the time.It seemed like the best way to get them all together.We read the big book and studied it and discussed it.We had a great time.Most of us are still sober.

Around here we call Joe and Charlie`s big book thing a 12 step workshop.They are not AA but members of AA giving their own take on things,which is ok for the new folks.
The back to the basics are well known for the 4 one hour sessions and some people have combined the 2.They use the big book and the format of the b2b to go thru the big book steps in 5 weeks in 1 1/2 hr meetings.Bill has some material on his site about it.

https://www.justloveaudio.com/resources.php?cat_id=27

keep up the good work jd.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I'm reading this thread and thinking about Wednesday nights at the diner with Dick and Pat. Dick was my sponsor at the time. Pat was one of his buddies and a big book thumping fire breathing ex sandhog from Rockaway

We met every Wednesday at a local diner and they took us through the book. It was open to anyone who cared to join but it was made clear it wasn't chit chat and gossip over coffee. When we were finished with the book they taught us the traditions. It wasn't a formal class and there wasn't a set curriculum, just a couple of guys trying help others.

Good on you, JD.

-allan
Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have all given me much to think about and ponder as I try to setup this structure. Joe no offense taken at all. I realize my EGO has the ability to run amuck, which is why I am calling myself out to people I trust, like yourself. I also pray daily and ask God to divorce my thoughts from self centered ideation. I also ask Him to reveal more to me.
I do envision this as a teacher student relationship but not from a power perspective. When I went to college I had text books. Now I could have skipped classes read the text book in my room and show up only for the exam. But would I have received the same education? Many students who have tried this end up failing out. Why? This is because there is much more than just regurgitation of the text that is absorbed in the class. Off curriculum discussions that evolve form the text for example. In short, I needed a professor to help me understand the message just like I needed a step sponsor for me to articulate the message of the BB. It was like one of those pictures where you let your eyes relax and you can see the message. My step sponsor helped teach me how to let my eyes relax.
What I am thinking of is a non sanctioned study group. Like the B2B we run through the steps in 6 weeks. I would encourage someone interested to attend with their sponsor if they prefer. At the end of the 8 week session in a small group the last 2 weeks are pairings where those who have run through the steps take a partner through the first session to gain confidence before they head out and do their own 12th step.
I would like very much to get this off the ground and turn it over to one of my sponsees or someone else. Anyhow, I am going to give it a shot, recognizing the risk for ego to inflate and try to remain humble.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

the simpler ya make it the easier it will be.
I know ya want to help others but why not go with what has proven to work instead of tryin to reinvent the wheel? im truly thinkin this would lead to both burnout and resentment. trying(strong emphasis on trying) to take 3-4 people through the steps at one time IMO is not a good thing. people learn at different speeds.not only that, but how you went through the steps isn't the only way.

answer this for yourself:
why do you want to teach 3-4 the steps as you were taught as apposed to guiding them through them?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
skg

It Has Always Been a Dynamic Program

It's a great idea--a concentrated Big Book study, if you will. Don't let Purists sway you from sharing it with others as there is more than one way to get sober through AA. There's a passage in the Bible (John 5-39-40) that says, paraphrasing, that one can memorize the entire scriptures and still not know Christ. It's true of the text of Alcoholics Anonymous, as well, because many well intentioned quotes and dogmatic phrases from the first 164 pages are used as more than a suggestive means of achieving sobriety rather than finding the spiritual connection--the purpose of the The Steps (see step 12).

I say this after having spent every day in AA meetings for many years, and continuing to go every day. My home-group meets in an hour, in fact. The Big Book is the PATH to the answers, not the answers themselves. While there are some dogmatic long-timers out there, many with far more precarious sobriety than someone with 90 days, the truth is that AA continues to grow and find new ways to facilitate sobriety. We are on the web discussing 1939 content, for goodness sake!

"Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us." (Page 164, "Alcoholics Anonymous," 4th Edition, AA World Services, Inc.)

Isn't it possible that a divinely inspired recovery methodology could flex and grow with the changing conditions of this world?

I say good-on-you. Go for it. The most significant outcome is that you will learn more and remain sober--the full intent of being of service to others in the eyes of God.