Notices

why wouldn't you take a drink?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Far, far too much to lose:

Alcohol and other mind altering substances would interfere with my conscious companionship with my Higher Power.

I seek to improve my conscious contact -- not limit or curtail it.

Then there is the wife, the kids, the peace of mind . . .

Serenity.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have another drink in my but I don't think I have another recovery. If I pick up a drink I can't stop. That was true with my first drink
Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

You talked me into it, thanks!

Oh, damn - that's right your my AV and I don't listen to you!
How'd you get to the UK? Yea, right I cast you out - see you crossed the pond.
Hmmmm - so you figured out how to login to SR?

Hey, that's ok - cause I DON'T LISTEN TO YOU!
You see, if I partake I become an arse to my fellows and family. I put myself and others in jepordy and have avoided the gallows noose.

Thanks for checking in though and letting me know your new tricks!!

Peace
Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I wouldn't dare risk it yeahgr8. Last time I decided to have 'a drink' it turned into 10 drinks. 3 yrs. of sobriety went out the window and 7 yrs. of hell ensued. No.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I have another drink in my but I don't think I have another recovery. If I pick up a drink I can't stop. That was true with my first drink
Oh yeah. I don't think I could go through that first year again now that I know what would be coming to me.
It's completely irrational that I would awaken that cycle of cravings now that I have broken it's spell. I have a clear understanding of what it took from me and I'm not prepared to give it back.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am now a "non drinker" . . . opening that door again and going back to that life would be awful, nothing will have changed!!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

Personally i cannot see the benefit in drinking alcohol anymore. I know there is nothing in life i am missing out on due to being a non-drinker.

As for trying to see if i can drink again? I honestly cannot see the point because of the above.

If i still believed that there was any benefit to drinking then, potentially, i would be at risk to pick one up and try again in the future. Who knows maybe one day i might, but not today;-)
Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Why would you not have a drink?
There is nothing about me or my life which is at one and the same time also about drinking alcohol, and this reality is the only reason I would not take that drink. All the self-made promises, all the horrors, all the good intentions wouldn't stop me if my life still revolved around alcohol. It would only be a matter of time, and I would absolutely pick up that drink. I am in fact a recovered alcoholic and so recovered doesn't mean I'm no longer an alcoholic. Being recovered means I don't suffer from alcoholism being at the center of my life.

Without the suffering, alcohol has nothing to offer me. In suffering from alcoholism, then of course alcohol has a solution for such suffering, but I'd have to stay drunk to make use of the alcohol solution, and staying drunk would of course be the end of me.

Its a no-brainer why I won't take that drink.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well my first thought was because I don't want one or see the need for one. Which is true.

I also did not come all this way for nothing. The blessings and the rewards, for me, our gifts I do not intend to give away. I hold them close to me. My life in the last year a half, even with the pain and struggles, has been better then the last decade at least. I think it may even got back farther than that but I am going to give it a nice even decade.

I never have to drink again. The obsession has been removed. Why would I want it back? That was pure hell.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. I don't think I could go through that first year again now that I know what would be coming to me.
I was such a wreck counting days, I cried every day. Said that if I'd known being sober was like this I wouldn't have stopped drinking. No way I'd go through that again! To remind myself, I sometimes say "My name is NYCDoglvr and I have one day back". EEEEEK
Old 09-22-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Because I know how this play ends.

And because I like myself better sober.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I couldn't drink, even if I would. The pros and cons of drinking vs. not drinking will never keep this alcoholic from picking up a drink. Having the problem removed, out of my hands, is what has worked for me.