Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

The steps, the big book, the group, my sponsor, all point me towards

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All point me towards God. And all I need to stay sober is God. I believe the big book, my sponsor, the felllowship are just hands that point me towards God. I will never understand why certain people tell me why I need to go to a meeting everyday. The old timers (read doctor bob and the good oltimers) they felt prayer and and quiet time in the morning was the bets for their sobriety, along with helping others.

Can anyone share your experience on quiet time with prayer and meditation in teh morning.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I say a small prayer in the morning. At night I say a larger prayer and in place of meditation I use the Jesus prayer.

Saying the Jesus Prayer | St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary
Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1drinktohell View Post
All point me towards God. And all I need to stay sober is God. I believe the big book, my sponsor, the felllowship are just hands that point me towards God. I will never understand why certain people tell me why I need to go to a meeting everyday. The old timers (read doctor bob and the good oltimers) they felt prayer and and quiet time in the morning was the bets for their sobriety, along with helping others.

Can anyone share your experience on quiet time with prayer and meditation in teh morning.
I often say the serenity prayer while booting up the computer in the morning. Checking my emails from overseas can be quite stressful.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was unable to discern from your post whether this was troublesome or not to you. The god thing. If you are not religious there are still avenues of spirituality for you.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, if you can stay sober through just a prayer at home, my hat's off to you....

I need

Meetings
Steps
Fellowship
Sponsor
Sponsees
Service commitments
and......

Loads of laughter.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was talking to someone today who said something like his sponsor told him not to make his sobriety conditional on anything, not even A.A. What if you don't live somewhere there are meetings? Or you are without an internet connection. All you really have then is you and God. Thank you for the reminder to work on my relationship with God through daily prayer and meditation.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I was talking to someone today who said something like his sponsor told him not to make his sobriety conditional on anything, not even A.A. What if you don't live somewhere there are meetings?
Shortly after getting sober, I got a job as an long-haul truck driver. My first trip out I did not get back home for 9 weeks straight. No time off. No meetings. No F2F fellowship. My sponsor stopped taking my phone calls between 8 PM and 8 AM. What saved my butt was:

"There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit. But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life."

(12&12 page 98)
Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

GOD save me from myself or GOD get in my head before I do I say that in the morning sometimes.Me I cant stay sober but if I stay connected to GOD HE will keep me sober.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by muvinon View Post
Well, if you can stay sober through just a prayer at home, my hat's off to you....

I need

Meetings
Steps
Fellowship
Sponsor
Sponsees
Service commitments
and......

Loads of laughter.
Amen.

"Faith without works is dead."
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's all important. A meeting every day? Depends on where you are and how you're doing.
Step 11? I followed the instructions when I got them.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe that if prayer works for you, you should keep at it. Essentially,
to me, prayer entails thinking about other people.

I don't read the Big Book other than at meetings. It's okay, but it was
published 75 years ago and a lot has changed in medicine, psychology, etc.

As for the sponsors that I've had, I respect them for the time that they spent with
me and that they have been sober for a significant amount of time. However, I only
take their advice concerning staying away from a drink. As for advice on financial, love life,
work matters, I ask people who are successful in each of those areas.