Notices

The more Time I have in the program the less I know.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The more Time I have in the program the less I know.

I used to keep asking newcomers, oldtimers, and everyone in between for advice. And what I am learning is that their advice is pretty spot on most of the time other times it is really bad. I Get better at dealing with life without alcoholic, better at dealing with resentments, and build a solid relationship with God.

sometimes I go to 7 meetings a week, sometimes 1. I learned that I can become overdependent on meetings sometimes and am hiding out from life. I don't want to have 20 years of sobriety and go to a meeting everyday. Some people do, and it works for them. but I can not sit in a meeting everyday.

currently I found I sponsee and am bringing him through the first 164 pages. and he is really getting it. I find that more enjoyable than a months worth of meetings.

I'm not anti-meetings, but I think I can become overdependent on them for my sobriety.

But the more time I have in AA, the simpler I keep it. The most important part of my program is quiet time in the morning, daily review at night, and contact with newcomers.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sobriety is a journey not a destination. Keep exploring and decide on what works for you. So much of staying sober is about balance
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by 1drinktohell View Post
sometimes I go to 7 meetings a week, sometimes 1. I learned that I can become overdependent on meetings sometimes and am hiding out from life. I don't want to have 20 years of sobriety and go to a meeting everyday. Some people do, and it works for them. but I can not sit in a meeting everyday.
IMO balance is more important than meeting attendance. For me that is between 1 - 3 meetings a week. For most of those who I know that I would call "recovered" (in the sense that they live in steps 10 - 12), they go to no more than 4 meetings per week.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Someone sponsoring 3+ members might need more. My job sometimes requires working 7 days a week so I might miss a week here and there.

No big deal for me, I can always find alternative ways to practice my program. Meetings are just one of many venues that I have to practice my program.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Over time we find a balance that works. I've discovered that with three meetings per week I feel balanced and calm. Lately, however, it's been one meeting per week. The result is that self-centered fear tends to creep back into my thinking. After 22 years I can say the biggest gift of sobriety is peace of mind and don't want to mess with it.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Balance is the key.

These days I usually attend one aa meeting and one AlAnon meeting.
Some people are more social then others.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Sobriety is a journey not a destination. Keep exploring and decide on what works for you. So much of staying sober is about balance
i agree.. and for me. my sober reality is always changing so i have to (try my best) to keep up with it.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Learn - 1. gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught

The only thing I had to have was willingness to learn. I found out rather quickly that one, it is ongoing journey. It not like learning to write or read. You don't learn it and off you go. We have to keep going or risk sliding backwards. And two, that AA members are just regular people with a WIDE variety of life experiences before and after they entered the rooms of AA. While most speak the same language we all create our own program within the AA steps.

The balance is to find out what works for you and that can take some time. I am sure you have heard "take what you need and leave the rest". It applies here. If you get a suggestion and it works, hang on to it. If you try and it does not work, then shelf it. There is no need to carry around something that you either do not understand or does not to work FOR YOU. Leave it lay and continue. You may find later that it now makes sense, or not, just keep coming back and moving along. One day at a time.

This is were my sponsor is invaluable to me. I can always ask her if I don't understand something. She will get me to where I can see the lesson. I may still decided it does not work for me but at least I was honest, got help and made an informed decision. When I do that, I can move on rather then letting it twist in my head for days or weeks.