Notices

Tradition question

Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
...Even if it is a few bucks more, it supports AA and I would not feel morally comfortable either undermining GSO just to be stingy over a few bucks (shoot, I ll just put a few extra anonymous $$ in the envelope).
It's not a question of being stingy; it's about being fiscally responsible. I buy by the hundreds; that's $100-$160 vs $704. To me, a difference of $500--$600 is a tad more than just few bucks; it's is a no-brainer.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
It's not a question of being stingy; it's about being fiscally responsible. I buy by the hundreds; that's $100-$160 vs $704. To me, a difference of $500--$600 is a tad more than just few bucks; it's is a no-brainer.

(o:
NoelleR
The OP was talking about the group level. What you chose to do as an individual is your own business.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
The OP was talking about the group level. What you chose to do as an individual is your own business.
Okey-Dokey, I'll just stick with the last questiom............:
"Do all our purchases of the big book,others books and literature need to be thru AA to stay within the Traditions?"

Obviously the answer to that depends on the meeting. If they only read 'Conference Approved Literature' then get it through AAWS. However, many groups use other literature (The Little Red Book; Bottle & Stools; 24hrs a Day; etc. etc. etc.) that cannot be purchased through AAWS.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
We do that at my group. Every newcomer gets a pocket size Big Book, Living Sober and a meeting list.

I believe that cost should never be an issue if someone wants a book and have given many books away over the years. I throw the cost of the book into the basket. I stole a lot of money from people I will never be able to find and it's a good way of making that amends.

-a
I cannot imagine actually reading a pocket size big book!

I'm a fan of the large print, so I can write in the columns.

Suggestion to swap living sober and pocket size for workable size large print to newcomers...

Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Perhaps we need to look at the whole financial picture?

Every group that I have been involved with, sends any surplus funds, not needed for the running of the group, to Intergroup.
Our local intergroup will, in turn, send off any surplus funds to York which contributes to World Services.

So, any money saved from purchasing literature, at the group level from other sources, should wind up where contributions should be in the end.
Or am I missing something?

Yes, others are profiting from recovery literature.
Are the printers that AA uses for reproducing literature doing so on purely non-profit terms?
If they are, is this an association with an outside organization?

When we purchase a Big Book that was sourced from AA are we making a hidden contribution to AA?
I don't know enough about AA finances at the World level to know whether literature is a stand-alone division in the AA hierarchy.
Is the AA publishing business simply self supporting?
Or do its profits help to support AA as a whole?

Bottom Line:
Is book publishing an outside issue? It certainly is not our primary purpose.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

isnt there only one place the bb, 12&12 and other AA literature like that printed and published? doesnt it have to be originally purchased through AA before being sold on amazon or places like that?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with your understanding/the meaning of the tradition. The tradition is for AA groups, not individual members (we use the steps)

(o:
NoelleR
according to your latest PM, only 2 pages of the BB are used so thank you for excluding me in your "we" use the steps. I incorporate all of the "musts" and suggetions in the BB,too.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

From the AA website:

“Conference-approved” — What It Means to You
The term “Conference-approved” describes written or audiovisual material approved by
the Conference for publication by G.S.O. This process assures that everything in such
literature is in accord with A.A. principles. Conference-approved material always deals
with the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous or with information about the A.A.
Fellowship.
The term has no relation to material not published by G.S.O. It does not imply
Conference disapproval of other material about A.A. A great deal of literature helpful to
alcoholics is published by others, and A.A. does not try to tell any individual member
what he or she may or may not read.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with your understanding/the meaning of the tradition. The tradition is for AA groups, not individual members (we use the steps)

(o:
NoelleR
AA Traditions are applied to AA groups as well as AA individuals. As AA individuals, we take those Traditions with us and apply them, whether we are at an AA meeting or sitting in our families livingroom.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

SOME GENERAL SERVICE CONFERENCE LITERATURE
COMMITTEE ADVISORY

It was recommended that:

1968: Conference-approved literature and G.S.O. Guidelines be displayed
and distributed at assembly meetings.

1969: One group member be chosen to be solely responsible for the
distribution of Conference-approved literature and its display.

1971: The delegates assume responsibility for informing A.A.s of all
available Conference-approved literature, and that the updated
spring and fall literature order blanks which are mailed with
Box 4-5-9 be reviewed at district and assembly meetings.

1972: It be suggested that when a local A.A. facility (central office, intergroup, group, etc.) sells non-Conference-approved literature, it be
clearly designated as such.

1977: It was suggested that A.A. groups be discouraged from selling
3M - 01/12 (RP) - Rev. 9/11 - MG-09
Alcoholics Anonymous — 4 —
literature not distributed by the General Service Office and
the Grapevine.

1986: In an effort to strengthen our network of literature representatives
to ensure that A.A. literature is available at meetings, as well as
catalog order forms for books and cassettes that individuals
are likely to want, it is suggested that groups appoint literature
coordinators.

1986: The spirit of the 1977 Conference action regarding group literature
displays be reaffirmed, and recommended the suggestion
that A.A. groups be encouraged to display or sell only literature
published and distributed by the General Service Office, the A.A.
Grapevine and other A.A. entities.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
isnt there only one place the bb, 12&12 and other AA literature like that printed and published? doesnt it have to be originally purchased through AA before being sold on amazon or places like that?
This is true for most of AA literature, except the BB; AA/AAWS failed to renew it's copyright for the (basic text portion of) the BB in a timely fashion and those pages (the first 164+) became in 'the public domain;' any publishing/printing company is free to print copies (even including the stories from the first and second editions, which are also in public domain).

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

How does buying used items apply?

I got my BB used and I have no idea where it was purchased originally. What about Big Books for BB study groups that need 30 books to be placed out and shared. If purchased a lot of them off Ebay with no "background" on the book are they not allowed?

I had a guy walk into a meeting a couple months ago. He said he was not in the program. He had a BB. He gave it to me as I was the lead and the only one at the head of the table. He did not say where he got it. He said he wanted to donate and he left.

Weird to say the least but I took the book and gave it to another member that needed one. No background information here either.

I understand supporting the GSO but if I find one at Goodwill, Ebay, used book store or if a guy off the street hands me one I am going to distribute that book to another alcoholic and take it as Gods will that it was made available and not that I need to do a background check on it first or refuse the book and buy only a new one from the intergroup office.

There was a group that would only buy coins from the intergroup office. They could not afford coins from the intergroup office so they bought none. So how does this help the 24 hour sober person that really should get a coin?

Do I have to do a background check on all coins I was given? Do I refuse a coin because I don't know if it was purchased from intergroup?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

If it's a 2nd-4th edition text, it's published through AAWS. Buying it used doesn't matter -- AAWS already received the $ the first time around. If it's published by any other entity (anonpress, Hazeldon, etc), then it's not supporting AAWS.

Just check the copyright page & see who published it.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-25-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous : Fair Use Policy

"What is the copyright status of the Big Book?

The First and Second Editions of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, are in the public domain in the United States only. The Third and Fourth Editions remain copyright protected worldwide, including the United States. Given that the Internet is a worldwide medium, permission must be requested from A.A.W.S. for all Internet postings of all editions of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous."
Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you for that information on the books. What about the tokens/coins?

Is there any way to tell if they are approved AA tokens? Or is that not really an issue?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I stand corrected. I didn't realize 2nd edition had also become public domain.

There are no "AA sanctioned" medallions. As a group conscience decision, we offer the coins. I know a lot of other groups who don't.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Buying it used doesn't matter -- AAWS already received the $ the first time around.

ty Sugah,that helps clear up one point I was thinking about
Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Patriciae View Post
Alcoholics Anonymous : Fair Use Policy

"What is the copyright status of the Big Book?

The First and Second Editions of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, are in the public domain in the United States only. The Third and Fourth Editions remain copyright protected worldwide, including the United States. Given that the Internet is a worldwide medium, permission must be requested from A.A.W.S. for all Internet postings of all editions of the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous."
The copyrights on the third and fourth editions only apply to the forwards to these editons and the new stories; the 'basic test' portion of the BB (te first 164pgs+) have been in the public domain (in the US) since 1967; copyrights on the second, third, and fourth editions don't alter that. ...and yes, this is the internet, but this site, at least, is a US site; therefore US copyright law applies.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The copyrights on the third and fourth editions only apply to the forwards to these editons and the new stories; the 'basic test' portion of the BB (te first 164pgs+) have been in the public domain (in the US) since 1967; copyrights on the second, third, and fourth editions don't alter that. ...and yes, this is the internet, but this site, at least, is a US site; therefore US copyright law applies.

(o:
NoelleR
The information that I posted comes directly from the Alcoholics Anonymous website, I think they would know what the status of the Big Book is?

You can read it by clicking on the website that I attached to my post regarding "What is the copyright status of the Big Book?"
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by SoulSister View Post
I cannot imagine actually reading a pocket size big book! I'm a fan of the large print, so I can write in the columns. Suggestion to swap living sober and pocket size for workable size large print to newcomers...
Our business meeting is the first Saturday of the month at around 12:15 PM. Come on down