Notices

Coming out as a alcoholic

Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

JD, intellectually I completely understand your point but I have to be honest with myself: I was a closet drunk and I am still ashamed on some level about being an alcoholic (even though I know better).
What is interesting is that once in a while if a conversation mentions recover (which is to be expected in my field), I have no problem mentioning that I am a member of Al Anon. I keep my AA membership very quiet unless I have an opportunity to do 12 step work then I'll come out of the closet.
I really liked the movie and the kind of organizing which is being done but I am not ready right now and might never be...maybe I am just too chicken to deal with the social stigma attached with alcoholism. Maybe as I grow in recovery I will overcome that shame. Who knows?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I like all these different angles on coming out, remaining anonymous, and even Freshstart's simple "I don't drink" statement. I guess I most identify with Carlotta on this. There's a thread JD started where we were discussing societal stigma, and my thoughts on that are: Does it really matter that there's stigma still? And whose opinion on it matters, and why? Personally, the few family members who know I'm recovering have their own deep seated and negative opinions about my having been an alcoholic. Can I ever expect anything different? I doubt it. Society doesn't like alcoholics. There is stigma. I don't hold my breath waiting for an enlightenment there. The recovery community and addicts have the enlightenment on this, not the normals. And I can understand that. We are forced to change. We are forced into enlightenment of some flavor. That, or die drinking.

I could easily let my anger flair because of attitudes like my mother-in-law who believes I'll never change. Lol. She believes I'll only get worse. Those were her exact words to my husband.

My grandfather recently asked my husband if I was taking my medication. Lol. What medication?? He thinks I'm "crazy" and need meds. This is based on information from 15 years ago when I was briefly medicated following the death of my grandmother, in order for me to stabilize myself.

My Dad claims he'll "always forgive" me... as if I need forgiveness for being an alcoholic. He is religious, and he also allowed my stepmother to abuse me in the name of god years ago.

I have to let societal and familial expectations, opinions, and stigma go. It will hurt me too much otherwise.

Coming out? Ha! What am I going to get for coming out? More of the same. The recovering addicts "get it", the non-addicts don't. The answer is pretty clear to me.

And I'll be the first to volunteer for a scientific study to advance knowledge in the sciences about addiction. That's what I believe in.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
JD, intellectually I completely understand your point but I have to be honest with myself: I was a closet drunk and I am still ashamed on some level about being an alcoholic (even though I know better).
What is interesting is that once in a while if a conversation mentions recover (which is to be expected in my field), I have no problem mentioning that I am a member of Al Anon. I keep my AA membership very quiet unless I have an opportunity to do 12 step work then I'll come out of the closet.
I really liked the movie and the kind of organizing which is being done but I am not ready right now and might never be...maybe I am just too chicken to deal with the social stigma attached with alcoholism. Maybe as I grow in recovery I will overcome that shame. Who knows?
One your not chicken. Your fear is real. You should do a fear inventory when it comes up again. My guess is there is a reason you feel the shame and the fears and getting down to that and asking God to remove that might be therapeutic for you.

I understand people's fears of career advancement or medical insurance etc. I am fortunate I don't have to deal with those fears, which avail me some liberties. My greatest fear is impacting others such as my children and therefore need to be mindful of this.

I wrote a thread mistakenly posted in the Alcoholism section comparing Addiction to HIV/AIDS. I believe addiction is growing in will blossom into a full blown epidemic in the US. The medical system appears cavalier with scripts and the often too common scenario is a regular person gets into an accident or has some physical trauma requiring surgery. Post op then get Oxys or Dilaudids, or some strong opiate. During the post op its easy to continue taking versus weaning off and they become addicted. So they get a refill from the Dr. and then another. Then the Dr. cuts them off and they find a way to Dr. shop and get more. At some point they can't get or afford more of the pills and they get introduced to heroin. Heroin is so cheap in comparison and the boundaries that one once thought they would never cross are crossed.

We rationalize our not being like some vagrant or Street person to make ourselves feel safe and cozy and remain in our own addiction. But sooner or later addiction I believe is going to be real for too many people. I can't help but think there is a strong correlation between the Obesity epidemic and the growing substance addition epidemic. If you took a morbidly obese person that cannot get off sugary or fast food and gave them a strong drug (cocaine, meth, heroin) I believe they would become addicted - alcohol too but the progression is slower. The substances and behaviors don't make the addict in my opinion. So for me what once was and currently is will no longer be stigmatized at addiction touches more people personally.

I believe there is a call to action to be a pillar where others can turn for advice to help guide them and comfort them to let them know there is a solution. Some may say this is going to far, for me I see this as service to others. How we achieve this I am not sure but I don't dismiss a powerful movie like the Anonymous People. I believe this has a role in today's society I am just not sure yet what if any my role may be in something like this. Again, I need to be respectful of my family and think through the unintended consequences before making any decisions. For now, my service is limited to sponsoring and sharing my story at AA meetings.

Maybe Facebook will be buying SR for billions of dollars by then too:-)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have not found it necessary to say anything more than "No Thank You"

I have never encountered anyone in 25 years who was trying to push alcohol on me after I said "No Thank You"

If I ever do encounter someone who feels it is ok to push alcohol on me, well..... I will simply keep repeating "No Thank You" because I don't owe anyone an explanation of why I choose to not drink.

Many more people today do not drink, its not a big deal at all! So today, I choose not to make a big deal out of something that can be handled quite simply with "No Thank You" lol
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It was suggested to me that the best place to find out about Alcoholics Anonymous and all the hows and why's......is to get involved, because its all contained in the 12 Traditions.

When I got sober, we weren't guessing about what ought or ought not be said or done in the halls of A.A. We were guided to attend AA 12 Traditions meetings, where we learned the rich history and the tried and true experience of each one of those Traditions.

Without those wonderful 12 Traditions and how they literally keep AA as a whole, AA groups and AA members together in Unity, Service and Recovery....it all would have died a long time ago.

I am thankful for all those AA members who passed on what was passed to them from the experience, strength and hope in those 12 Traditions meetings.......it helped newcomers, old timers and everyone in between to not have to guess what each Tradition means and how it is applied.

( Dr. Bob And The Good Oldtimers: Pages 264 & 265 )

"As far as anonymity was concerned we knew who we were. It wasn't only A.A., but our social life. All of our lives seemed to be spent together. We took people home with us to dry out. The Cleveland group had the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all the members," said Warren. "In fact, I remember Dr. Bob saying, .....
'If I got up and gave my name as Dr. Bob S., people who needed help
would have a hard time getting in touch with me.'"

Warren recalled, "He [Dr. Bob] said there were two ways to break the Anonymity Tradition: (1) by giving your name at the public level of press or radio; (2) by being so anonymous that you can't be reached by other drunks."

In an article in the February 1969 Grapevine: "Dr. Bob on Tradition Eleven," Volume 25, Issue 9, D. S. Of San Mateo, California, wrote that Dr. Bob commented on the Eleventh Tradition, "We need always maintain personal anonymity At the level of press, radio and films," as follows:

"Since our Tradition of Anonymity designates the exact level where the line should be held, it must be obvious to everyone who can read and understand the English Language that to maintain Anonymity at any other level is definitely a Violation of this Tradition."

"The AA who hides his identity from his fellow AAs by using only a given name Violates The Tradition just as much as the AA who permits his name to appear in the press in connection with matter pertaining to AA."

"The former is maintaining his anonymity ABOVE the level of press, radio and films, and the latter is maintaining his anonymity BELOW the level of press, radio and films---whereas the tradition states that we should maintain our anonymity 'AT' the level of press, radio and films."
Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My first "outing" was through step 9, especially with former employers. It transpired that several of my former workmates also developed drinking problems and one by one they turned up in AA.

One of them told me of a discussion they had about what should be done about his problem. They had been watching me. One apparently said "AA worked alright for Mike, and he was %$#@n baaaad!" That's just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

Patriciae makes very valid points above. We were never meant to be so anonymous that we can't help anyone.

I don't mind who knows these days, but in earlier times I was a bit more circumspect. I would certainly come out if it would clearly help someone, but I had to watch my motives at other times. Declaring my alcoholism can be very self seeking in some circumstances.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I am a grateful, PROUD alcoholic. I never leave home without my AA ring on and take every chance to tell people what it is and why I wear it. I tell people if they notice a triangle out in front of a church, that's what going on inside, so they'll slowly become more aware of just how big a problem addiction is. Anybody who has a problem, will know where to go. Anybody who doesn't, probably knows someone who does. I am happy and proud to still be alive to tell my story whenever the opportunity presents itself. I've never gotten anything but a very positive reaction, best wishes and support from anyone. I thank them all. I'm anything but anonymous.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

is it just me or does anyone else notice that it seems to be those who got off the drink machine at the earliest that always seem hell bent on having good ideas to change things ?

just because they feel its right, many of these types have already give up going to meetings but are the first to que up to change anything that will not effect them in anyway shape or form

the traditions of aa are there for a purpose and that purpose to me means they are there to save alcoholics from alcoholics

there wisdom even early on made them see that alcoholics will want to change the world before they will ever be willing to change themselves or accept things as they are.
they got this wisdom as everyone wanted aa to be just how they wanted it to be and they fought over it
they soon leanerd that no matter what the most important thing aa has is its members as we might not like each other but we need each other as no one else out there in the world understand an alcoholic better than another alcoholic
the fellowship needs to survive against anyone persons wishes or feelings on how things should be done

hence the traditions were put in place for aa to go forward and survive

so here we go again yet another idea thought up by some well meaning drunk wanting to change the world again

i will stick to what the tradtions mean as its not my will i think of its aa as a whole

i love the fellowship of aa as i wouldn't be here today without it

it was anonymous then and its still anonymous but i still found it and if i can find it anyone can
Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You talking to me Pete?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
You talking to me Pete?
lol no my freind its not aimed at anyone person in particular : )

just how things seem to come across to me

we had a thread the other day about this video coming out with the latest craze of trying to change anonymity

i seen some of it but turned it off and many in that video seem to be well off middle class who have more money than sense and now want to go and crusade for change but not of themselves but how they dont agree with how fellowships are run with the anon side of things

it will not affect these people in anyway shape or form so there not thinking of others but of themselves
Old 07-26-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks buddy. I watched the movie and I agree with it. I think it makes a very good point by comparing the addict community to the gay community. Gays came out of the closet and have made great strides as a result. I believe it's time that we addicts do the same. I believe the world is ready and we can use all the help, understanding and support we can get, from everyone.

I take anonymity to mean I should not, and will not, out anyone else. I believe it's up to me to decide whether I want to come out. I do. I choose not to hide in shame or fear. I did that for quite some time and would have died had I not changed my mind. I hope to help save others, as many as I possibly can, from at least some of the pain and suffering my friends, family and I had to endure due to my ignorance, stubbornness and lack of faith that the world is a beautiful, wonderful and loving place in spite of the difficulties we are sometimes summoned to overcome, many of them self imposed.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

alcoholics are cunning baffling and powerful

if an alcoholic wants to get his own way he will find all the reasons in the world to make it happen. they want to change things its part of there nature

now dsober think of this
its great you will come out and say your an alcoholic that is your choice and i am glad to see you wouldnt want to force anyone else it would be there choice

so why do you feel the need that this issue should be an issue ?

if say aa dropped the anon side of things but left it open to people to choice if they come out or not
then how long is it going to be before the peer pressure gets put on people in meetings ?
we already have the problem were people want to talk about drugs in meetings and want to change aa over to that way

we already have divisions on the god side of things in meetings were some meetings pour nothing but pressure on new comers to conform

so how long would it be before people start introducing themselves as name alcoholic and not anonymous ?
how long before others join there band and we have new meetings springing up with just no anon members going ?

i wouldn't mind if aa was anonymous to the point were no one could find it but its not anyone can find aa anywhere

to try to say there is a stigma to the name and they dont want to feel shame about how they are is one point but then we might as well not bother with step 5 anymore as we will have done nothing to be ashamed of
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
alcoholics are cunning baffling and powerful
Sorry Pete but I'm afraid we disagree from the get-go here. The Big Book says alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful, not alcoholics. Alcoholics must admit they are powerless, from the very first step in any real, thorough recovery.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I just saw this really cool video of a bunch of teenagers talking about Type II diabetes and its causes. It was an attempt (successful, I hope) at de-stigmatizing a condition that some people see as the result of gluttony and sloth. They set the record straight and proposed solutions.

The whole anonymity thing in AA, especially at the level of press, radio, and film, has a lot to do with those of us who choose not to go to any length to apply the solution to our lives. If I'm interviewed for the local paper one day singing the praises of AA and show up in the police log the next for DUI, those who don't understand alcoholism or have any way to know the success rate of those of us who gave full measure will doubt the efficacy of the AA program. Then there's the issue of using AA membership for our own benefit, to enhance our status in some way (which is really pretty funny, if you think about it, but, yeah, I guess...).

I'm not outing anybody, but I refuse to conceal my status as a sober alcoholic. I just don't connect it to AA membership unless someone, one-on-one and not "on the record," asks. When I do share, I very consciously emphasize that my sobriety depends on my continued willingness to use this program in all aspects of my life, every day.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Its been my experience that AA members who have not attended Traditions meetings or Traditions discussion meetings have no idea of the vital importance of each and every one of them. And, one can not pass on or give away what they do not have.

AA's 12 Traditions build on one another right from Tradition One to Tradition Twelve. If we are not aware that Alcoholics Anonymous is NOT a secret society and is not hidden, then I would suggest to get involved with those AA members who do know and get to Traditions meetings, because they are a Powerful source in keeping Alcoholics Anonymous from going the way of The Washingtonians, who didn't have them, and they died off. Thank God for those early AA's experience, strength and hope with all those Traditions... because they have already done all the hard work for us and all we have to do is learn them, apply them and pass them on!

Those who are not AA members and just want to make comments on the "Anonymous" part of AA like the film (Anonymous People)...... I am sure are coming from a good place in their heart, hopefully? But the simple truth is that they really do not have a clue about Alcoholics Anonymous or those those vitally important 12 Traditions. It takes some of us AA members more than a few years to learn them, what they are about, and how they are applied.

So I just don't put much weight on what is shared from those who speak about the 12 Traditions, but in reality... have not even read them, have no reference for them or how vitally important they are to AA as a Whole, AA Groups and AA individuals to keep us together in Unity, Service and Recovery.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

AA World Services has, in fact, reviewed the movie. See link below:

http://manyfaces1voice.org/assets/do...-Anonymity.pdf
Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Tradition 11 - Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

AA's Tradition Eleven is 100% personal anonymity at the public level of press, radio, films, TV and internet.
Bill W., in a personal letter in 1961, said that although some principles in the Traditions are subject to interpretation, anonymity at the public level requires 100 percent compliance.

The following is an excerpt taken from Bill W's writing in the Grapevine 1955 issue.
Vintage Grapevine from the January, 1955 Issue... May 1966 Vol. 22 No. 12

"Why Alcoholics Anonymous Is Anonymous"

"Of course no AA need be anonymous to family, friends or neighbors. Disclosure there is usually right and good. Nor is there any special danger when we speak at group or semi-public AA meetings, provided press reports reveal first names only.

But before the general public--press, radio, films, television and the like--the revelation of full names and pictures is the point of peril. This is the main escape hatch for the fearful destructive forces that still lie latent in us all. Here the lid can and must stay down.

We now fully realize that 100 percent personal anonymity before the public is just as vital to the life of AA as 100 percent sobriety is to the life of each and every member. This is not the counsel of fear; it is the prudent voice of long experience. I am sure that we are going to listen; that we shall make every needed sacrifice. Indeed we have been listening. Today only a handful of anonymity breakers remain.

I say all this with what earnestness I can; I say this because I know what the temptation of fame and money really is. I can say this because I was once a breaker of anonymity myself. I thank God that years ago the voice of experience and the urging of wise friends took me out of that perilous path into which I might have led our entire Society. Thus I learned that the temporary or seeming good can often be the deadly enemy of the permanent best. When it comes to survival for AA, nothing short of our very best will be good enough."

Reprinted with permission from AA Grapevine and AA World Services Inc.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UncleMeat69 View Post
AA World Services has, in fact, reviewed the movie. See link below:

http://manyfaces1voice.org/assets/do...-Anonymity.pdf
Hi Uncle,

AA did not review that movie. AA has no opinion on outside issues.

If you read the very first paragraph, it explains that they are answering questions from AA members, regarding OUR 10th Tradition and their questions.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
One of them told me of a discussion they had about what should be done about his problem. They had been watching me. One apparently said "AA worked alright for Mike, and he was %$#@n baaaad!" That's just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me
I love it, I can so identify with that being the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!! Rotflmao!!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

The statements quoted above were from an era prior to the many great social revolutions of the sixties. I believe the world, certainly national beliefs and opinions, about many kinds of diversity, have evolved considerably since then.

While I agree A.A., as an "organization" should retain separation from anything else (except it's members of course), much as the U.S. constitution separates church and state, I believe the point made in the film about the national cost of addiction is staggering. I believe our government should find more proactive ways of dealing with this huge and growing national, and world, problem. I believe, without more attention, this problem will continue to get worse as the world is simply becoming more complicated in many ways and people have more issues to deal with. As a U.S. citizen and tax payer, I'd like to see more attention given and I don't feel I should conceal the fact that I'm an A.A. member and that I feel that program saved my life.

As a very simple example, churches make space available for A.A. meetings. Should space be made available only (or primarily) by churches? If so, why? A.A. maintains no connection with the individual religious organizations providing this space either except through the non-anonymous members arranging it.