Notices

Need some ideas to revive a meeting

Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some ideas to revive a meeting

It's been a Sunday am meeting and we'll just say that it was a lot of personalities before principles and ended up being like two people showing up regularly, and now the meeting has been closed. If was a simple open discussion meeting up to this point. The meeting is held at the AA clubhouse.

I would like to start a new group and draw interest with maybe new format, something unique about it.

Meetings we already have during the week are daily early evening open discussion, daily noon open discussion, weekend women's meeting, big book study on a weekday morning, one evening speaker meeting on Sunday. Not to say we can't have another of any of those, but I would love to be able to do something we don't already have going on.

Any ideas or cool meeting formats you've been to? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about a brunch potluck followed by meeting? Food is always a draw at meetings near me.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a great idea!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have a meeting here that is like that. It's always packed and there is always plenty of food. We don't even have a refrigerator there, either. Just a sink and a coffee machine. The Chair always brings a main dish and everyone brings sides.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

clubhouse game hour and chat....
Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovejava View Post
Meetings we already have during the week are daily early evening open discussion, daily noon open discussion, weekend women's meeting, big book study on a weekday morning, one evening speaker meeting on Sunday. Not to say we can't have another of any of those, but I would love to be able to do something we don't already have going on.
No step meetings? Hmm... that's fer sure what I'd be putting in there. I've been to early meetings where they have bagels and butter and/or creamcheese. That might help the attendance, the step discussion will help the personalities before principles .
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

12 X 12 study meeting.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

We have a couple of popular meetings in my area on Sunday mornings that are focused on spirituality (technically they are open discussion). One is at 8:30AM and one is at 11:00AM and appear to be a popular alternative to church services for those that don't participate in organized religion.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Observations ...

I've no immediate constructive suggestions, but...I do have a few observations

The one thing that would have me no longer attending a meeting at a particular venue was, when I realized that a lot of those present problems lay not with alcohol or alcoholism, but with the fact that they had 'issues' that in reality had nothing to do with either of them..or,

When, other than the A A Preamble read at the start of every meeting, you wouldn't know by the content those things shared that you were even at an A A meeting!

Which left me thinking of Carl Sandburg's saying that, 'A society that forgets where it came from, will destroy itself.'

Which doesn't presume that's what happened here...but suggests, rather than look for a new format, you 'keep it simple' and go back to where it all started, sticking to and affirming the basic principles of the Fellowship in A A, as outlined in both the '12 x 12' and accompanying A A literature....

It worked then and it works now .... just a thought.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's a real shame when personalities or politics interfere with an otherwise smooth operation isn't it? There's an Alano club here in my area that's been around for at least 50 years which used to be my home away from home. I used to almost live there and can remember when it was a booming, thriving place to enjoy the fellowship of other AAs and their spouses. A lot of good sobriety and great meetings. Problem is, the board that runs the place is manned by alcoholics and in the past 30 years has been the source of problems due to being power hungry people who pretty much stick together without any concern for the thoughts or ideas anyone comes up with. Traditions are ignored for the most part. Consequently, meetings have dropped off and most times when there's supposed to be a meeting, nobody shows up to open the doors.

My suggestion to you would be to go ahead and start a new meeting and build from there. Don't start out with an "eaten' meeting" until you have the support of the group. Too much too soon is a problem waiting to happen.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it's not my business
but
you never should have closed the meeting

i've been to a few meetings
that were in danger of closing
i was the one of two people attending

you can make flyers
and
go to different groups
announcing the group needs support

change the format
sunday morning / afternoon is a prime slot for a spirituality meeting

i used to go to a 7:45 am sunday meeting
for years 30 to 40 attendees
then it dropped
over time to about 6 -10
i haven't been there for a while
but i'm sure it's still going

can't do nothing about it
but go for yourself
groups change
people move
their work schedules change
their relationships change
or
they just get bored with the meeting

fraankie
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
No step meetings? Hmm... that's fer sure what I'd be putting in there. I've been to early meetings where they have bagels and butter and/or creamcheese. That might help the attendance, the step discussion will help the personalities before principles .
I was going to post exactly the same thing
Step meeting with some goodies and if you bake, maybe GracieLou will share her cookie recipe with you: she swears it is what keeps them coming back at the meeting she secretaries
Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

beginners or 11th step meeting ?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I once heard a guy say half his homegroup went to a Big Book Study and the other half went out and drank