Notices

Conscious contact with God - Step 11

Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conscious contact with God - Step 11

Lately I have been suffering from agnosticism, I haven't been praying as much and then when I do pray I can't get that conscious contact with God. I am suffering from fear, resentment, anxiety, and boredom.

It's difficult to get a connection with God back.

Have any of you had this problem and what have you done.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I have. What the usual cause for me is that I have stopped
working one or more of the 5 parts of Step 10.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have any of you had this problem and what have you done.
I've been sober over two decades and know this problem well My spiritual condition is in direct proportion to the quality of my program. When I've cut back on meetings and gone into isolation I become moody, self-centered, etc. But when I take the actions I learned in the first 90 days, keep it simple and just do the next right thing, I feel very happy, centered and spiritual. Go to a meeting and talk to a new comer ... that always works. Decide do go to a meeting every day for a week ... a month. The beauty of the program is that we can snap back quickly.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even trying to pray is a form of prayer. A wordless moment of gratitude or act of kindness full of selfless intent is better than hours of repeating words out of a book. We can define prayer by the thoughts that run through our mind. I know I feel like the shades have come down when my thoughts are clouded with negativity. I find even 5 minutes of mindfulness meditation helps centre me. I don't believe Im ever cut off from God. How can I be cut off from something that is who I am. I can deny it if I choose and close the shutters if I want, that's my free will. Trouble with free will is I don't feel as comfortable with it as I once did. Turning it over works for me. Don't sweat it, it's a temporary rut. I find myself in them often enough. I always ride the wave and emerge stronger. It ain't easy but who ever said life was?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Years ago I discussed the problem of 'not feeling God' with a friend who was a Lutheran minister. He said that even as a minister he had times where he couldn't feel the presence or grace of God. He said what he was counselled to do was to keep moving forward as though he could. That made sense to me. There have been times over the years when my faith has wavered or vanished, but it has always come back.

I honestly couldn't tell you if I had 'conscious contact' with my higher power, but I feel better when I pray and meditate, even a little bit.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

like UM said,i would pray,and do a 10th step,then 11 to the best of my ability at the time.

and double up on some kind of service
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's very human.
Our egos want us distracted from God
When I feel this way I use my will power to push out my human thoughts and force myself to get on my knees (proper use of the will)
I do real work while on my knees, BB in front of me. There are different things I do.
When the pain gets great enough I get willing.