Notices

E cigarettes at meetings

Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There are a handful of people at every meeting I go to (in the UK)....
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Couple of clubs banned them, and other meetings......people use them a little. Always startles me.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everyone keeps regurgitating the marketing behind e cigs, which is that all they contain is "harmless water vapor".

I have a couple observations, if all there is in it is water vapor, why are people sucking on them constantly?

Oh right, because there's a DRUG in there too.

And unlike sitting in a bar, where people aren't splashing alcohol in my face, I AM actually inhaling it.

And secondly, why is it that wherever people use these things regularly, there is a distinct odor that has permeated the whole place. Kinda like cigarettes used to be?

I'm guessing that in years from now,you are gonna find out that these things are not as harmless as everyone wants you to believe.

Comparing the discussion to government interference is ludicrous. We're talking about a group conscience at a meeting, not a government mandate.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
From the Big Book: "An alcoholic who cannot meet them, still has an alcoholic mind; there is something the matter with his spiritual status. His only chance for sobriety would be some place like the Greenland Ice Cap, and even there an Eskimo might turn up with a bottle of scotch and ruin everything." People who are against Ecigs because it makes them uncomfortable still have a smokers mind.

Ecigs don't render smoke. They are battery operated and produce a vapor which is inhaled and then exhaled, similar to going outside on a foggy day and seeing my breath when I breathe out. The only thing that might irritate someone would be the scent which is introduce into the Ecig. There are an assortment of them which are purchased specifically for this reason. Ecigs don't cause any physical side effects simply because there's no fire involved which in real cigarettes, causes the tar and cancer causing chemicals to occur. Some people even think second hand vapor is harmful.....puuleeeese!

What really blows my mind is that with all of our freedoms going up in smoke...pun intended....such as being told by our government what kind of health care we HAVE TO purchase...or else, the IRS and other government agencies being in all of our business, not to mention other countries are going to hell in a handbag with people losing their freedoms every day, here we are having a discussion about Ecigs. Chewing nicotine gym or wearing a patch does the same thing. They put nicotine in our system to curb the craving to smoke. Geeeesh!!!
I think you are overstating just how safe and harmless these things are, my friend.

FDA and Public Health Experts Warn About Electronic Cigarettes
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

One thing is for certain, they don't make money if you don't keep buying them so they are an addiction.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Since moving up here, haven't seen single person use them. But in the south, even my Home group allowed em. My personal view is do it outside! I undstd it's a group conscious thing but just for the sake of new comers & people's view
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I think you are overstating just how safe and harmless these things are, my friend.

FDA and Public Health Experts Warn About Electronic Cigarettes
DB, I don't mean to overstate anything with one exception. Personal choice to smoke, inhale, whatever....is being trampled on every day in this country. How in heavens name can the FDA be against these things and not go on a campaign to ban alcohol, weed, and so many other things that are harmful. Personal choice. I don't care where people smoke them, I don't care that people smoke them. All I care about is my choice to not smoke them. And of course, in todays climate...like I'm going to believe anything that comes out of the feds mouth. C'mon man. Freedom....Liberty.....Personal Choice!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As long as there isn't any concrete evidence they are harmful to anyone else I have no problem with them at a meeting. It's no more distracting then Simone going for a cup of coffee going to the bath room going out to answer a phone call or the people that habitually arrive late or leave early
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Cant you put anything in these things? Not just government approved liquids or whatever you put in these things.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Cant you put anything in these things? Not just government approved liquids or whatever you put in these things.
Matt

From what I'm reading the FDA has no way of regulating them. Makes me wonder how much nicotine you do get out of it.
Time will tell if this is a safer alternative to smoking.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

smoke em if you got em and want too
me,I just go to a real smoking meeting
yes,we still have a few in these parts

if you want to fire up a e-cig, go ahead,better than smoking crack
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

THe jury is still out on the safety of e-cigs. But on the topic of e-cigs in meetings, I vape constantly and would never vape in a meeting. Nearly all e-cig juice has an odor, especially the fruit flavors.

It seems vapers like to play a semantic trump card: No smoking in meetings? Well I'm not smoking, I'm inhaling and expelling vapor, akin to steam.

And vaping is not "water vapor." It's the vapor caused from heating propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin as well as liquid nicotine.

ANd you can vape a lot more than two food additives. The same vaping equipment I use is sold in medical marijuana dispensaries for the use of hash oil like products. Even the online store I buy my atomizers and batteries from advertises their use for "herbal concoctions."

I have been vaping for more than three years now, trading this "half measure" for smoking two backs of American Spirit packs a day. I spend hours reading about the effects of vaping versus smoking. The jury is still out, but the overriding consensus is that vaping is simply safer nicotine delivery system over smoking.

Vaping allowed be to quit smoking. Over a period of several months my chronic bronchitis went away, my taste buds returned, my clothes no longer reeked of smoke, my car and home no longer have any lingering odor, and I get kissed on the lips more often.

Vape in a meeting? Never. If I did, that would be my old alcoholic thinking kicking in, how I can beat the rules and throw my victory in the face of others.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I wished I'd of put a poll to this post now.

It is interesting to find out if it is allowed and everyone's opinion on the subject
Old 03-22-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Are they allowed at your meetings?
Very wide variation in group's policies on this around here, depending on group conscience decisions and on the venue's policy -- at least one large church where I know at least 10 meetings per week are held does not allow any smoking of any type anywhere on the property.

In 2 meetings I know of and where it had been allowed initially, they eventually decided to ban it because, appaprently, the vapors can have a very negative affect on people with asthma.

From what I can tell, the majority of meetings in this area still allow it and a lot of people are using them (the e-cigs), to the point that there appears to be a bit of one-upmanship developing around it -- like who has the latest, greatest e-cig, who has the most variety of and/or the best cartridges...

I'm not a smoker, so it's all a little weird to me, but, for me personally (...and I don't have any kind of respiratory problems either) the e-cig vapors are definitely better than cigargette smoke. Some of them I actually kind of like!

freya
Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

On the plus side no butts in an ash tray or on the ground
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
DB, I don't mean to overstate anything with one exception. Personal choice to smoke, inhale, whatever....is being trampled on every day in this country. How in heavens name can the FDA be against these things and not go on a campaign to ban alcohol, weed, and so many other things that are harmful. Personal choice. I don't care where people smoke them, I don't care that people smoke them. All I care about is my choice to not smoke them. And of course, in todays climate...like I'm going to believe anything that comes out of the feds mouth. C'mon man. Freedom....Liberty.....Personal Choice!
I agree 100% with everything you say, as I am libertarian.

But rights end when you trample on other people. And we are simply talking about a group conscience here, not laws, congress, or the FDA.

I don't see why ANYONE cannot sit in a meeting for an hour and just listen/share without stinking up the room, however harmless it might be.

I suspect that because people have stopped SMOKING they don't realize that e cigs are still a nasty little habit. Just less so.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Are they allowed at your meetings?
Not at my Home Group. Specifically mentioned in the list of announcements and stuff in the begining. One guy sneaks one in and covertly puffs, but nothing was said...
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercatholic View Post
Not at my Home Group. Specifically mentioned in the list of announcements and stuff in the begining. One guy sneaks one in and covertly puffs, but nothing was said...
Sigh there's one in every crowd.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercatholic View Post
Sounds like an addiction to e cigarettes.

Whos to stop some nut-job of smoking crack with water vapor next to a baby on the city bus?

I have never smoked in my life, I gag sometimes at the smell of 3rd-hand smoke (the smoke left on clothing or fabrics) as people walk by. A few even make me wanna puke. Its disgusting. Why should I risk getting cancer from walking by these selfish people. Smoke whatever you want to smoke, but spread your cancer, in the air, somewhere far away, like in an alley or your car or your home.

I would have piped up about this e-ciagarrette addict. I have noticed the aroma's of these things before.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Sounds like an addiction to e cigarettes.

Whos to stop some nut-job of smoking crack with water vapor next to a baby on the city bus?
I don't know if they reach the temp to smoke crack, but there are a LOT of people putting hash oil in the liquid.