Notices

I am an addict in AA

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
You seem to be in a bad place. Your posts have gotten progressively more blameful and self pitying. It sounds like you feel as though everyone, including AA, is always doing wrong by you. That must suck to feel like that 24/7. I hope things get better for you.

Please indicate how they have became more blame full and self pitying? I never stated that I felt that AA is doing me wrong nor do I feel that way. It looks like someone is suffering from that classic Alcoholic trait of being a mind reader. In reality you have just made a very inaccurate assumption about what someone thinks based on your perception. I am an AA super star and I will be a chat forum juggernaut as well.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4thdimension86 View Post
Please indicate how they have became more blame full and self pitying? I never stated that I felt that AA is doing me wrong nor do I feel that way. It looks like someone is suffering from that classic Alcoholic trait of being a mind reader. In reality you have just made a very inaccurate assumption about what someone thinks based on your perception. I am an AA super star and I will be a chat forum juggernaut as well.
Your posts have taken on a manic tenor. One can only assume that you are either using again or have anger. I think this is stated in you quest to destroy AA. That might be your intention but I think there are enough people that care and want to help, as we know this will only be futile in the ideal - you can't achieve this and will only burn yourself, which is classic addict/alcoholic thinking.

This is my opinion and I am not mind reading just reaching out to a fellow that seems to be in pain.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
What would you like to get out of your meetings? Do you want to be accepted as an addict? I have had none of those negative experiences. I have found a meeting that accepts addicts. I also understand the perspective of showing respect and introducing as an alcoholic/addict in AA so not to offend others, although I think of myself as a true addict with alcoholic being a subset.

The anger I sense from you is only going to be self harming though. So what do you want to achieve?

Ya know the original topic was whether or not discussing drug use in a meeting was a violation of the traditions. My stance is no. Now I am being accused of being self pitying and that I have a grudge against AA. Like all chat forums this one should not be taken seriously. You can not sense anger through a computer screen. I am actually giggling a bit. Furthermore this has given me a great idea. The next time I land an inter-group commitment I will bring this topic to the meeting as well as the other one concerning the involvement of the legal system in AA. I will then enjoy a bag of popcorn as I sit back and watch the sparks fly.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Your posts have taken on a manic tenor. One can only assume that you are either using again or have anger. I think this is stated in you quest to destroy AA. That might be your intention but I think there are enough people that care and want to help, as we know this will only be futile in the ideal - you can't achieve this and will only burn yourself, which is classic addict/alcoholic thinking.

This is my opinion and I am not mind reading just reaching out to a fellow that seems to be in pain.

Or maybe I have realized that like all chat forums this one should not be taken seriously. I was trying to make light of the situation by making a joke about destroying AA. I used to go to this chat forum for outdoors man and thing always ended up like this on there. There are the chat forum cops and super stars and any post will spiral out of control with lots of wild accusations being made. Yes I am using again. I do a big old shot of GOD everyday. I do not think GOD wants people to destroy their interpersonal skills with technology as chat forums such as this do. I apologize if I have harmed anyone on here and please let me know if there is anyway I can make it up to you if I have. Other than that I think I need to stay away from all chat forums. I will now retreat to my "cave" and stew in my self pity and mania.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

4thdimension - you did not hurt or offend me. In fact you did not affect me at all. I simply felt you might be struggling a bit when I read this thread, so I wanted to reach out. Retreating does not help, so stay and post man.

Context is tough electronically to convey. I had no idea you were joking - haha. This was a really interesting thread that I enjoyed contributing to. I hope you stick around man, we can use fresh perspective to make us all think.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I have witnessed cases of untreated alcoholism that were as bad and even worse than active addiction. The actual drinking/drug use is just a side effect of our condition. I have been told that there were once meetings where they would hand people the 7th tradition basket and tell them to use the money to go back out because they weren't ready to get better. I have seen cases where people have been banned from meetings because of their behavior. BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome for you. I'm a retired professional. Worked as a group counselor in a street level co-ed rehab residential. We routinely took in inmates on parole. The examples your talking about our pretty tame, okay? We've had occasions with hand-guns, knives. Guys that had nothing to lose and were being sent back for breaking their sobriety. So your examples are way tame, but for you I guess they are important enough that your bragging about them. You realise that is way weird, yeah?

As drugs and drinking being just a side effect, you have your opinion. Mine is my alcoholism was no side effect, and when I drank, my drinking was no side effect either.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

There I said it! Do any "traditionalists" object to that? I am bringing this up because the chair person at a meeting interrupted me while I was sharing and told me to keep it to alcoholism because I was talking about drugs. What really ticked me off was that the chair person was a heroin addict like myself and no one else in that meeting cared. In fact most of them were addicts. Yes I caught a resentment!
Some of those old bastards have been on step one for 20 years. It is the quality not the quantity.
I am out to destroy this creepy cult known as AA and will not rest until I am satisfied
I guess I can't quote more than three, but you also said some people would be better off drinking.

You have had some really valid points here, but they get a bit overshadowed by the tone of your posts. I also realize that you might be aiming for sarcasm or lighthearted teasing, but it comes off very sardonic. It's difficult to judge that sort of thing on the internet. You say AA helped you, and that you have some quality sobriety, but it's not coming across in your posts. You do seem angry.

To get back to your original question about the stories in the Big Book - I think the drug use in those stories is part of that person's story, but it's definitely not the whole story. The main focus is still alcohol. I've never been to a meeting where people got on someone for talking about drug use as a part of their alcoholism. Our meetings are all open, so we get plenty of addicts only, but they are usually respectful of the traditions and limit their shares to the steps and the reasons why they used, not specifics of using.

Like some others have mentioned, identification with others is what AA is all about. I can not relate to drug use. I may be the only person on the planet, but I have never even smoked pot, and I have only had two cigarettes in my whole life (and I am young - only just 30, got sober at 24). I can't relate to drug use. As freethinking said, a lot of that had to do with it being illegal. When my husband used to talk about it, I felt like he was on a whole different plane, not worse, just different. Triggers are different, the "feeling" is different depending on the drug, habits surrounding it are different.

The reasons why we use or drink might be the same, and that's where we can find common ground. Drinking was not my first obsession. I am a food addict and a self-injurer first and foremost. These are my get-weak "drugs", and I still struggle with them even though I am sober. I know the steps can help me with them, and I am working on it. I've looked into it, and there are no 12 Step programs in my area for these. But does that mean I should bring it up in an AA meeting? In theory, if addiction is addiction, no matter what, then the answer would be yes. But in the spirit of AA unity and our primary purpose of recovering from alcohol, I would say no. I don't think someone who has never done it would understand.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I think there have been some great suggestions and careful consideration on this thread for you 4th. How you respond to them is your business.

I always heard recovery was an action...what I do and how I carry myself means more than what I think and say. That scared the beejesus out of me...I knew I could ruffle feathers and talk a good talk, heck I was an intellectual giant. But others were judging me by my actions. Nothing else mattered.

Hope you find what you're looking for

P

P
Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Or maybe I have realized that like all chat forums this one should not be taken seriously. I was trying to make light of the situation by making a joke about destroying AA. I used to go to this chat forum for outdoors man and thing always ended up like this on there. There are the chat forum cops and super stars and any post will spiral out of control with lots of wild accusations being made. Yes I am using again. I do a big old shot of GOD everyday. I do not think GOD wants people to destroy their interpersonal skills with technology as chat forums such as this do. I apologize if I have harmed anyone on here and please let me know if there is anyway I can make it up to you if I have. Other than that I think I need to stay away from all chat forums. I will now retreat to my "cave" and stew in my self pity and mania.
Your really messed up, kid. I hope you can work out a better deal for yourself. Looks like it hurts something awful to be in your shoes.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Forum Cop and part time Superstar here....

Some forums are meant to be taken seriously, and I believe SR is one of them, 4th.

Some find us through Google - they may even come here via this thread.
That a responsibility right there - for all of us.

People come here, desperate for help, and... not a lot of them arrive looking for 'jokes'.

There's been some great advice here 4th - given to you freely by folks you don't know and will never meet, but who are still trying to help.

Regardless of what you think about the advice, I think that's pretty special

D
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sometimes the best response is No Response

P
Old 02-11-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Your free to do as you want, 4th. Don't make it out as if guys doing their own thing is such a big deal. Take it easy, and know that what goes around comes around.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Sometimes the best response is No Response

P
It's not even clear who he's "talking to" anymore. His last post is all over the place.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
It's not even clear who he's "talking to" anymore. His last post is all over the place.
He's talking to all of us and none of us. Tough going for him any way we want to take it. Reminds me of how bad I used to be messed up.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

O so that is how it goes! Clearly I am sick and need help and everyone on here just wants to take my inventory and criticize me! I need to go to a meeting and share my experience with chat forum recovery. I think it is relevant because alcoholics are typically socially awkward and I believe some use social media as a way of avoiding social situations which will help them grow and build the interpersonal skills that they lack. I am really leaving this time. I just needed to get the last word in because I am an alcoholic and that is just what I do.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

and with that - thread closed.

D