Notices

Daily Reflections for 10/30/13

Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Daily Reflections for 10/30/13

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

LIVE AND LET LIVE

Never since it began has Alcoholics Anonymous been divided by a major controversial issue. Nor has our Fellowship ever publicly taken sides on any question in an embattled world. This, however, has been no earned virtue. It could almost be said that we were born with it. . . . "So long as we don't argue these matters privately, it's a cinch we never shall publicly. "

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 176

Do I remember that I have a right to my opinion but that others don't have to share it? That's the spirit of "Live and Let Live." The Serenity Prayer reminds me, with God's help, to "Accept the things I cannot change." Am I still trying to change others? When it comes to "Courage to change the things I can," do I remember that my opinions are mine, and yours are yours? Am I still afraid to be me? When it comes to "Wisdom to know the difference," do I remember that my opinions come from my experience? If I have a know-it-all attitude, aren't I being deliberately controversial?

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I for one seemed to have an opinion about everything and became resentful whenever someone contradicted me. I hated to admit I was wrong because it exposed a major flaw. I don't know if I was smug but I certainly thought I knew a lot more about it all than I actually did. I was obstinate, confrontational and controversial. I thrived on drama and crisis and it was my own worst enemy.
Recovery taught me that others opinions are no concern of mine but I should still respect them. That I hold my peace and realize that there is a lot I don't know what I don't know, so keep an open mind and try to be tolerant.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kyrie Eleision, I struggle with the "Wisdom to Know the Difference" part. Sometimes I get all wrapped up trying to change something I can't that I forget to let God do his part. Thanks for the reminder that this is something I need to check.