Notices

What can I expect if you call the AA hotline?

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

What can I expect if you call the AA hotline?

I haven't seen this discussed before, but what happens if you call the AA hotline? What if you want to meet with someone, but not necessarily at a meeting? My desire to attend a meeting is not syncing well with meeting times. Frankly, I am a bit scared as I think this would be the end...like I am about to take a giant leap without being able to see what's on the other side.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Hi jazzfish - forgive me, I am a little confused. Is work or something like that conflicting with the meeting times? Or is it just fear that is keeping you away? There are usually noon meetings and morning meetings if it's just a scheduling thing. Many cities and towns have alano clubs that have meetings more around the clock, from what I understand.

If it's fear, then join the club. I don't think I know of anyone that strode into a meeting brimming with confidence and nonchalance. We've all gone in fearful, bewildered, not sure what was going to be said or what was going to happen. It dissipates quickly, as you start to hear how it was like, what happened and what it's like for everyone there.

In terms of the hotline, I only called it once regarding finding a sponsor - so I am sure someone here can speak to that from their experience.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are not a lot of meetings here, almost no morning meetings and noon meetings are only three days a week. When I want to go, then there is no meeting scheduled. By the time a meeting rolls around, my desire to go has waned. Real, imaginary, or a product of my disease - my desire is no longer high when the meeting comes around. I am either feeling good and no longer think I need to go, or I find some other reason that I don't want to or can't go.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jazzfish,

Give them a ring. They can maybe get someone in your area to call you back...what will happen is you'll talk They'll probably have the lowdown on meetings in your area.

Going to a meeting for the first time is pretty scary but sooner or later most of us have to bite the bullet...and end up glad we did.

Balls in your court...good luck

P
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post

Balls in your court...good luck

P
Ball's in your court.

Just felt the need to do that as there was something not quite right with the original.

Jazzfish - sounds like you have a lot of self awareness, and the ability to be honest with yourself. That's a great place to start. I'd say give AA a call and just tell whoever you talk to what's on your mind, your concerns, whatever. My guess is they'll suggest you go to a meeting, yet they may be willing to meet with you one on one, or find someone who will. Whatever the case, you're not obligated to do anything. If you feel uncomfortable for any reason you don't have to commit to anything, and you can always hang up. I'm quite certain they will not call you back as that would be very against AA principles. Unless of course you request that they do.

I say put your fear and concerns on the shelf, and give a call. Then tell us how it went.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here are some questions to consider that I am also considering for myself.

They come from two members of Alcoholics Anonymous, Mark H., and Joe H., in a recorded talk entitled "Big Book Experience".

I am currently listening to their talks.

I wrote these questions down yesterday to consider for myself. They are on step one of Alcoholics Anonymous 12 step program.

The questions are asked before you embark on the 12 steps. To see what we believe, and to gain agreement to submit to the process which this spiritual program of action requires. AA's program of recovery.

1. Do you want to live?

2. Do you want to quit drinking - for good and all?
Are you really licked this time?

3. Can you quit drinking on your own power?

4. Can you rely on what these people that have written this book (Alcoholics Anonymous)
say about themselves and the experience you can have?
Can you start the process shared through another person in this book?

One must have faith in what these people are saying. "Yes", I believe this program can work for me too and I am going to bet my life that this process that you say has worked for thousands of people can work for me. Can't say part of this is true.

5. Do you believe that to show other alcoholics how we have recovered in the main purpose of this book? (Alcoholics Anonymous book)

We can't go any further if you don't have the idea that is the main purpose of this process that we are going to go through.

6. Do you want what these people have? Are you willing to go to any length to get it?
P. 58, P. 76 BB. It was agreed that you would go to any length for victory over alcohol.
There is an agreement that needs to be made. Any length.

P. 66

Can you keep yourself sober?

- Now that you don't want to drink
- Now that you are willing to go to any length
- Now that you want to live

Is for you to drink to die?

Admission has to be that we can't keep ourselves from drinking and to drink is to die.

This is where I left off yesterday.

Is to drink to die?

Do I think I keep myself sober?

And finally, they ask us to ask God to set aside all we think we know, for a new experience.

All we think we know about AA, or the steps, or God.

An open mind.

Be encouraged!

Do what the book says to find out if you are an alcoholic, and if this program can be your way out.

AA Speakers Tapes Free Speaker Downloads

^^^ The Big Book Experience Joe H and Mark H 2 of 9
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

I work the phones sometimes here in Cleveland Ohio... I say I cant wait for someone's call like yours...

I cant really answer anything in this manner other than this..

I am also just a alcoholic , staying sober one day at a time.. And by me being there to answer when you call is just one of the things that helps me live a better life..

If I answered your call, all we would do is talk as simply or deeply as the conversation rolls along. I would just answer any question to the best of my ability, and if I couldnt I would be able to get you in touch with someone that could..

Its really very simple, but we make it so scary and build up all these imaginary things..

Please just give a ring, and start by saying hi my name is ......... and I think I have a drinking problem.. And let it go from there...

Please come tell us how it went..
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Washington Area Intergroup will return a call.....we have "12 step" people willing to help out.....some people want to talk with the same gender and we will locate someone to call you back....

Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Most Intergroups can round up someone to make a "12th Step" call--meet you for coffee or something, sit down and talk about AA.

I often share this link over on the Newcomer's forum: What to Expect at Your First AA Meeting. I think it's pretty accurate, and it answers a lot of the questions you might be debating that are holding you back from going to a meeting.

Look at the first meeting as an investigation mission, if you want. You don't have to be feeling desperate at the moment you walk in the door. Open meetings sometimes have family members or counselors-in-training or others who just want to understand more about alcoholism and AA. You don't have to say anything unless you want to.

Hope you will check it out--nothing to lose. No obligation.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to thank everybody for their insights and support yesterday. I let the call build itself up into a bit of a monster, but finally managed to call them. It was big step. After talking for a bit, they helped me find a convenient meeting to attend (which I choose over a separate meeting). I went to an open discussion meeting and stayed after to talk with some people. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted even though I didn't pay too close of attention due to my own racing thoughts. Thanks again and let's see how this all goes.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

That's awesome! Takes courage to do that, and you followed through, and even stayed after the meeting. Very cool to hear that!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Ditto that AWESOME...

Take it easy , and just keep a open mind..
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go! It can be intimidating at first but gets better over time. I have never met a more welcoming bunch of people than those at AA.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I want to thank everybody for their insights and support yesterday. I let the call build itself up into a bit of a monster, but finally managed to call them. It was big step.
Good job, and you're exactly right. The FEAR of what will/won't happen builds up and we end up doing nothing. In fact living in fear becomes the problem - so much more painful than actually picking up the phone.

Big step though, well done. Remember this lesson, you might need it again some day hehe

P
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I want to go, then there is no meeting scheduled. By the time a meeting rolls around, my desire to go has waned. Real, imaginary, or a product of my disease - my desire is no longer high when the meeting comes around. I am either feeling good and no longer think I need to go, or I find some other reason that I don't want to or can't go.
My suggestion is to go when you don't feel like it. Sobriety is a life/death matter, at least it was for me and many others. How you feel is irrelevant because feelings change.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, great job! I found in early sobriety that EVERYTHING felt like a big deal. Shopping was a nightmare, because I would stand staring at SOUP cans, for heaven's sake, unable to decide which one I wanted to "commit" to.

Just keep those feet moving, one step at a time, one day at a time. AA is a great place to learn how to do that.