Notices

Daily Reflections for 1/30/2013

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections for 1/30/2013

*~*~*~*~*^DailyReflections^*~*~*~*~*

FREEDOM FROM . . . FREEDOM TO

We are going to know a new freedom. . . .

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 83

Freedom for me is both freedom from and freedom to. The first freedom I enjoy is freedom from the slavery of alcohol. What a relief! Then I begin to experience freedom from fear -- fear of people, of economic insecurity, of commitment, of failure, of rejection. Then I begin to enjoy freedom to -- freedom to choose sobriety for today, freedom to be myself, freedom to express my opinion, to experience peace of mind, to love and be loved, and freedom to grow spiritually. But how can I achieve these freedoms? The Big Book clearly says that before I am halfway through making amends, I will begin to know a "new" freedom; not the old freedom of doing what I pleased, without regard to others, but the new freedom that allows fulfillment of the promises in my life. What a joy to be free!

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

freedom to choose sobriety for today
Not to nit pick (ok, I am ), but this is one of the few times that I see something in DR that I feel is perhaps worded improperly. If I can choose sobriety for today, then I don't have the obsession of the mind, and I am not alcoholic. I don't choose sobriety for today - I have surrendered to alcoholism and have given God my life and my will. He has removed the obsession - I have lost the power of choice.

Nonetheless, freedom is something that we have - not a relief, but true freedom. There is such a difference! To be unshackled from the tyranny of alcoholism is life changing.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Not to nit pick (ok, I am ), but this is one of the few times that I see something in DR that I feel is perhaps worded improperly. If I can choose sobriety for today, then I don't have the obsession of the mind, and I am not alcoholic. I don't choose sobriety for today - I have surrendered to alcoholism and have given God my life and my will. He has removed the obsession - I have lost the power of choice.

Nonetheless, freedom is something that we have - not a relief, but true freedom. There is such a difference! To be unshackled from the tyranny of alcoholism is life changing.
NIT PICKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I like the reading. NEW freedom is not something I am really familiar with right now. I want a new freedom and new happiness, but what that will be, I don't know. Is it this? Maybe I need to accept my situation. But what does that even mean? How do I practice the principles in all my affairs? Keeping it simple comes to mind, because I like to obsess and try to become more perfect all the time, which is impossible. We are not saints, but I sure would like to be in my mind sometimes.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But we have to remember that the writings under the quote from literature are but one person's esh.

They may not realize the accurate way of writing it.

They also might not be a real alcoholic, and do have the choice.

One never knows!

I caught it too.

When I see that type of stuff, I just think...oh, that is NOT you.

~

And....

I am grateful that I have a new freedom today, and I didn't have to wait until I was half way through amends to get it.

Day 19

Any day I am not driven to drink is a good day. I am free. Bring it on!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Leave it to the alcoholic to have to over analize and put it back in his words.. Just kidding with ya paul.

Have a wonderful day all.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by HappyDestiny3 View Post
Leave it to the alcoholic to have to over analize and put it back in his words.. Just kidding with ya paul.

Have a wonderful day all.
No kidding...lol.

Simplify Paul....simplify....
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Look for the similarities not the differences.