Notices

Daily Reflections for 1/29/2013

Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections for 1/29/2013

*~*~*~*~*^DailyReflections^*~*~*~*~*

THE JOY OF SHARING

Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends -- this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 89

To know that each newcomer with whom I share has the opportunity to experience the relief that I have found in this Fellowship fills me with joy and gratitude. I feel that all the things described in A.A. will come to pass for them, as they have for me, if they seize the opportunity and embrace the program fully.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

This is very true. Watching my sponsees' growth is a wonderful thing. I mentioned to one of the guys last month how great he looked - he wasn't fuzzy, looking down at the floor when he spoke, mumbling, indecisive, etc. He was looking well put together, confident, reflective, motivated. As they move through the work, you can see them change - subtly at first, more strident later on. It's very cool to see that, and knowing that their Higher Power, the program of AA and the fellowship are having this affect on them. I can't wait until they pass this on to other men and have them have the experience that I have now.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

This and the other reading for today are quite similar. I was envious for a long time, paul, that I never experienced that. I guess I really wasn't looking for it, either. I was so involved with MYself and MY program and MY issues that I failed to see others getting well or better around me.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
This and the other reading for today are quite similar. I was envious for a long time, paul, that I never experienced that. I guess I really wasn't looking for it, either. I was so involved with MYself and MY program and MY issues that I failed to see others getting well or better around me.
Fern - the most important thing at first was for me to get myself through the steps and start to get well. It took time, and I never felt that I was "ready" to start working with others. But working with others doesn't have to mean sponsoring. I have been able to watch others grow in effectiveness and get to that place of neutrality just on the sidelines. Guys that I got sober with, others who I saw come into the rooms, and encouraged them, or hooked them up with a sponsor (women, for example). The important thing is that we get to a place where we can transmit to others. I can't help anyone if I am not well. It takes on so many forms, working with others. When the time comes, when you feel you are ready, I am confident you will make a great sponsor
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting this lunchtime - I didn't know why I was going, there was no chatter in my mind, I just went. I am so afraid to commit to the program but I sometimes go to a meeting. I so want to reach a point of being worthwhile and helpful of others but Im at a loss how that can be. Anyway, I made a point of talking to the complete newcomer and someone else too as is regularly suggested. I can feel now that it is a form of passing it on since others reach out to me and although I find it hugely awkward at the time, it always does help at some point. And I'm glad I went to the meeting and felt a bit better afterwards. I'm very grateful for AA - it provides a safe environment where people can help each other in an equal way. My relationships outside AA tend to be hugely unequal in various tricky ways.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applecrumble View Post
I went to a meeting this lunchtime - I didn't know why I was going, there was no chatter in my mind, I just went. I am so afraid to commit to the program but I sometimes go to a meeting. I so want to reach a point of being worthwhile and helpful of others but Im at a loss how that can be. Anyway, I made a point of talking to the complete newcomer and someone else too as is regularly suggested. I can feel now that it is a form of passing it on since others reach out to me and although I find it hugely awkward at the time, it always does help at some point. And I'm glad I went to the meeting and felt a bit better afterwards. I'm very grateful for AA - it provides a safe environment where people can help each other in an equal way. My relationships outside AA tend to be hugely unequal in various tricky ways.
Wonderful! You are absolutely at a point of being worthwhile. You're sober. That for some people is something they can't see themselves as being. Imagine a newcomer at their first meeting and you welcoming them (when is the last time they were welcomed anywhere?), you talking to them about recovery (maybe they are used to being yelled at or kicked out of places), telling them what it is you did (as opposed to having someone tell them, yet again what they have to do). You did a great service to the newcomer, and as you noticed, to your own recovery.

This is exactly what this program is about - one drunk helping another.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

I had NO friends when drinking due to my self imposed isolation. Now I have people that truly care about me and my well being through AA and I feel feelings of love and compassion towards them I never thought I could feel
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Indeed to watch the people come in and clean up and grow up is truly one of the beautiful things I have ever been able to witness in life.

My sponsor loved to tell me , that I wont be able to believe how many true friends I would gain by being in the fellowhip, and he was so right . As it grows and I meet new people daily. Life is Beautiful Today..