Notices

Twenty-Four Hours A Day for 1/29/2013

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Twenty-Four Hours A Day for 1/29/2013

*~*~*~*^TwentyFourHoursADay^*~*~*~*

A.A. Thought for the Day

What a load wasting money puts on your shoulders! They say that members of A.A. have paid the highest initiation fee of any club members in the world, because we've wasted so much money on liquor. We'll never be able to figure out how much it was. We not only wasted our own money, but also the money we should have spent on our families. When you come into A.A., that terrible load of wasted money falls off your shoulders. We alcoholics were getting round shouldered from carrying all those loads that drinking put on our shoulders. But when we come into A.A., we get a wonderful feeling of release and freedom. Can I throw back my shoulders and look the whole world in the face again?

Meditation for the Day

I believe that the future is in the hands of God. He knows better than I what the future holds for me. I am not at the mercy of fate or buffeted about by life. I am being led in a very definite way, as I try to rebuild my life. I am the builder, but God is the architect. It is mine to build as best I can, under His guidance.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may depend on God, since He has planned my life. I pray that I may live my life as I believe God wants me to live it.

Hazelden Foundation PO Box 176 Center City, MN 55012
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

They say faith can move mountains, but I better bring a shovel. God has His divine plan for me, and I can only trust in that plan and move forward by doing the right thing that is needed in front of me. The currents of life may move me to and fro, but God is the true Navigator. I can only do what is asked of me and do the best in being true to myself.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I can't sit back and wait for things to happen to me. That's just ignorant and silly on my part. But I acted that way for a long time. "Nope, God has a plan, he'll let it be known when it's time for action!" God does have a plan, but I also believe He helps those who help themselves. I have to commit to action and be seeking God in everyday life before I can see Him at work.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This reminds me of Bill W. writing of how he stole from his wife's slender purse.

Any money I spent on alcohol stole from my family's slender purse.

Thank God I can see that today, and change.

~

Bill's Story:

"I woke up. This had to be stopped. I saw I could not take so much as one drink. I was through forever. Before then, I had written lots of sweet promises, but my wife happily observed that this time I meant business. And so I did.

Shortly afterward I came home drunk. There had been no fight. Where had been my high resolve? I simply didn't know. It hadn't even come to mind. Someone had pushed a drink my way, and I had taken it. Was I crazy? I began to wonder, for such an appalling lack of perspective seemed near being just that.

Renewing my resolve, I tried again. Some time passed, and confidence began to be replaced by cocksureness. I could laugh at the gin mills. Now I had what it takes! One day I walked into a cafe to telephone. In no time I was beating on the bar asking myself how it happened. As the whiskey rose to my head I told myself I would manage better next time, but I might as well get good and drunk then. And I did.

The remorse, horror and hopelessness of the next morning are unforgettable. The courage to do battle was not there. My brain raced uncontrollably and there was a terrible sense of impending calamity. I hardly dared cross the street, lest I collapse and be run down by an early morning truck, for it was scarcely daylight. An all night place supplied me with a dozen glasses of ale. My writhing nerves were stilled at last. A morning paper told me the market had gone to hell again. Well, so had I. The market would recover, but I wouldn't. That was a hard thought. Should I kill myself? No - not now. Then a mental fog settled down. Gin would fix that. So two bottles, and - oblivion.

The mind and body are marvelous mechanisms, for mine endured this agony for two more years. Sometimes I stole from my wife's slender purse when the morning terror and madness were on me."

Bill's Story
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

For this alcoholic when I surrenderd I didnt have 2 nickels to rub to together. And still dont BUT that is all changing. And I truly feel richer than I ever did in the land of money..
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you for posting Newby, I really needed to hear that!