Notices

Let go and let God (at work)

Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Let go and let God (at work)

I think the title of the thread is a good summary...

I work sales. I get frustrated and worried when there are no sales. I want to control there being more sales. I fear for my job when there aren't any sales, despite doing everything I can at the moment. I am doing my best, but my best sometimes simply doesn't equate more sales being made. It's the nature of the game, yes, but no sales will eventually mean no job.

I say this after two days of goose egging the board. I hate it. My mind wants to obsess about it and play games and say there is something wrong with me because of it. Like I said, I am doing everything I can. I am presenting, pitching very well, and having great interactions with prospects, but nothing is closing.

I know God is at work in everything I do and there is a higher purpose, but c'mon, really?? I really feel there is a level of control in sales you have to maintain...Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm being impatient.

Anyone else ever work sales during sobriety and have experience with this?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do and sometimes I hate the fact that my success comes down to the actions of other people, my customers.

I am also awesome at believing any good sales are nothing to do with me, all down to luck, or situations out of my control.
Bad sales on the other hand are everything to do with me and all my fault because I am badly organised, lazy, not on the ball and unlikeable. No-one has ever said this too me, but it is the first thing I think when the figures are released...

XXxx
Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
I do and sometimes I hate the fact that my success comes down to the actions of other people, my customers.

I am also awesome at believing any good sales are nothing to do with me, all down to luck, or situations out of my control.
Bad sales on the other hand are everything to do with me and all my fault because I am badly organised, lazy, not on the ball and unlikeable. No-one has ever said this too me, but it is the first thing I think when the figures are released...

XXxx
True. I am as convincing as I can be. I deliver GREAT rebuttals to their "No's..." Sometimes this isn't enough. People a lot of the time already have their mind made up. Doesn't matter what I really say to them. They already have decided and won't give me the time of day no matter how valid my points are.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in sales too, I've been on commission most of my life. I know what you mean, but/and I think sales is one of the greatest jobs to apply your recovery and to test your faith, because there's only so much you can do, only so much you can control, you can't make anyone do or buy anything they don't want to buy. Sometimes the harder you try, it seems, the harder it is to close a sale. I try to to kind of "let go and let God" w/the customers and not control them in the traditional sense, contrary to what most sales people do, and it works for me. I also make sure I'm doing the footwork, the contacts, the phone calls etc., I think it creates some kind of Universal force or Universal law of action or something when I do my part so that God can work with me. I love sales, I really do, it's kind of like having your own business without all the hassels of being an owner. Go Get Em Brothers and Sisters! Let the time card punchers be damned! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

"I'm doing everything I can at the moment. I am doing my best"

If I said this, what would YOU say to me?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
"I'm doing everything I can at the moment. I am doing my best"

If I said this, what would YOU say to me?
That's all you can and need to be doing.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
I think the title of the thread is a good summary...

I work sales. I get frustrated and worried when there are no sales. I want to control there being more sales. I fear for my job when there aren't any sales, despite doing everything I can at the moment. I am doing my best, but my best sometimes simply doesn't equate more sales being made. It's the nature of the game, yes, but no sales will eventually mean no job.

I say this after two days of goose egging the board. I hate it. My mind wants to obsess about it and play games and say there is something wrong with me because of it. Like I said, I am doing everything I can. I am presenting, pitching very well, and having great interactions with prospects, but nothing is closing.

I know God is at work in everything I do and there is a higher purpose, but c'mon, really?? I really feel there is a level of control in sales you have to maintain...Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm being impatient.

Anyone else ever work sales during sobriety and have experience with this?

Increase your cold calling, set more appointments, increase activity, listen to sales training seminars from people like zig ziglar, as well as those that are specifically related to the product you are selling.

Role play with another salesperson to perfect closing. Read all you can on closing if you feel this is the problem.

Record your sales presentation. Video tape yourself with a potential prospect. Record the entire thing through the close and sit down with someone who is closing and analyze to improve.

Listen to your tone, pitch, and pace of speech.

See if your voice raises after your statements like a question, or if you are firm, and unwavering. Confidence is important.

Do you believe in what you are selling?

Talk about the fab...the features, advantages and benefits to the customer.

Gain agreement.

Don't ask for the sale, lead to the sale. Don't let them sense your fear or desperation.

If they have the ability to pay, and a desire for your product...lead to the close.

Explain how it works to them from the start.

I explain how I work.

ex...tell them what you are going to do for them....present, answer questions and help them complete the purchase if they wish. They know what to expect then. They know you mean business. They will appreciate that you won't waste their time.

I like to tell them how long it will be, so they know in the end...it's time to buy or not that day. Remember...they may not buy that day, but they will come back to you when they are ready. Make a wonderful impression that you really care. You are their friend.

But not a pal...buddy....don't talk about yourself, say things to get their approval...keep it business, product, their needs...your solution.

Maybe business is slow after the holidays...but as the tax returns come in...will feel ready to purchase.

Be patient and ask for referrals.

Build a tickler file 1-31,12 months, A-Z

Keep calling...The phone is your friend.

You are hunting...for the person that wants to buy, that wants your help.

It's a numbers game.

Be sure to cold call and set appointments daily to increase the number of presentations you are doing.

Be sure to listen to them and not talk about you.

Make it about them. Listen, and help them make their decision.

Some will, some won't so what.

Keep a light heart. Smile. Be sincere.

You can do it.

Be encouraged.

PM me for a great pdf on selling.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never had experience selling something. However, I have had experience selling myself. That is to say, showing up, doing my best, staying until the job's done, being honest, treating my fellow employees with respect, and being open and honest with my employers is something I'm more concerned with than numbers. If I truly believe God puts me in a situation for a reason, the best I can do is the best I can do. If I put myself somewhere and things don't work out, I always have the option of going somewhere else. We all have that choice.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You are doing well, fern!!! Remember this!!!!

Things WILL change for the better soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I worked in commission-only sales for a long while but I was drinking at the time. I loved it but then I crumbled and broke down purely because I did make everything personal, so the more you can 'Let the HP' the better I suspect. Not necessarily to make more sales but to keep yourself OK and sober which is of course the most important thing.

I find the risks of that kind of work are huge for me because my addictive voice LOVES the environment - the highs, the lows, the adrenaline, the competition.

I'm now realising success comes from an adherence to values I have set for myself and my work - ultimately that also ends up in happy clients or partners. As recovering alcoholics we have solid values in bucketloads so long as we remember to behave ourselves.

Stay strong
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks everyone. I think I needed a big dose of don't take myself so G-d seriously.

Just got word that we are adding a new product line next week. Should make things a lot better. Definitely was feeling stale. God really came thru for me and this is proof.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never been in sales, but it seems to me that every sales person I've known in recovery thinks the same way.

I just always figured....it takes that closing the deal "gene" to be good at it. Must be a pain in the tooshie when customers aren't around to do that.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Just do the next best thing you can and keep yourself on the beam and things will start happening. Keep that faith FM. You are doing an excellent job. Let go....really let go FM and let God. He won't let you down :ghug3
He's always there...he never strays...have you strayed FM?