Notices

I am not Powerless....

Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I tend to agree with Inda regarding the "lovey-dovey" mind-set. The program has not changed, but the people in AA have. The fellowship has changed from one comprised almost exclusively of low bottom drunks to one that now includes those who are “scarcely more than potential alcoholics”. This has brought with it a change in the “culture” of AA.

Drunks with different bottoms need slightly different approaches. Some need more confrontation along the way, and doing right by them might involve telling them something that is not easy for them to hear. Nevertheless, if the bottom line motivation for doing so is their welfare, and there is no nicer way to effectively get the point across then, OK, it may be necessary. Bottom line is "lovey-dovey" is good unless it’s a waste of breath. Some people need to be hit hard with reality. Failure to do so may in fact be long term cruel. It’s often a fine line, but the bottom line is people are different.

What is truly needed IMO is to accesses that power greater than ourselves to show us how to work with a particular alcoholic in the most loving yet most effective way possible, because if love is not involved in what we do in AA then something is wrong.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TSDD View Post
Do you believe that at some point in time you will be able to have a couple beers with the guys and not be subject to the phenomenon of craving?

Do you beleive that at some point that all by yourself you will have complete defense against taking the first drink?

If so, I'd advise you not to try it. If not, that sort of implies you're still powerless over alcohol.
I dont believe that at all. Im an alcoholic now and I will die an alcoholic. But I have been given a new source of power. I am no longer without defense agaist the first drink. I would be powerless over the reaction alcohol has on my if I were ever to drink again. But with the power given to me, that is not an option.
As I mentioned originally, of course in and of myself I am as powerless as I was the day I walked into AA. But through the process of the steps I have gained access to a power not of myself, but one that I can live by. A power that we can all share.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by muvinon View Post
Sorry, but this thread would appear to me to be a chance to reinforce a faulty idea.....that people "just don't get it" anymore.
If that is what you understood my intention of posting this thread to be, you are mistaken.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
It's God's power, flowing through me, as part of my daily reprieve that I get from maintaining conscious contact and trying to walk the spiritual path via my actions.
Well said. If I have access and have tapped this new source of power, I am no longer powerless. I am no longer without defense against the first drink.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I call that Power-

Grace
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Has anyone ever heard of it explained this way?

To think of it like we were or we were not.

Like a concession.

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, was like an agreement...a concession that they believed they were powerless, versus that they were not.

This view doesn't look at it from a place of time...past tense, or present, and certainly doesn't base whether you are or are not powerless over alcohol based on a word.

I wonder if anyone looks at it this way.