Notices

Daily Reflections

Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections

*~*~*~*~*^DailyReflections^*~*~*~*~*

UNDERSTANDING THE MALADY

When dealing with an alcoholic, there may be a natural annoyance that a man could be so weak, stupid and irresponsible. Even when you understand the malady better, you may feel this feeling rising.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 139

Having suffered from alcoholism, I should understand the illness, but sometimes I feel annoyance, even contempt, toward a person who cannot make it in A.A. When I feel that way, I am satisfying my false sense of superiority and I must remember, but for the grace of God, there go I.

c 1990 Daily Reflections Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thx, that's a good one. I need to remember that when someone's program doesn't look or sound like mine & I get irritated......tolerance! But for the grace.....
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I relate a lot to it too. What surprises me is my attitude sometimes towards people when they relapse because me of all people should understand as I spent 20 years going in & out of this program. But my tolerance level isn't that high which almost feels hypocritical to me. Guess its just another one of my many character defects that need lots of work. Happy Holidays
Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I must remember that recovery is a VERY personal journey. Everyone who becomes recovered does so in a very different way (different in how they finally stopped drinking, NOT different as in using the steps out of the big book). For me to judge someone else' struggle is, well, immature and intolerant. I was stuck in the revolving door and have been a newcomer going on 6-7 years. Now, I never worked the steps before, and that is probably the reason why AA never "worked."

For me to be annoyed and judgmental at someone else' program is well, me playing God yet again.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A sure sign that my ego is tied up in sponsoring or working with others. Not a good thing, but so easy to fall into. I think that is why it is so important to use a sponsor while sponsoring. Keeps me in check.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Indeed sponsor's need sponsor's. And I would never have a sponsor that was sponsor less.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Indeed sponsor's need sponsor's. And I would never have a sponsor that was sponsor less.
Absolutely right. Whenever I speak I mention off the top that I have a sponsor and my sponsor has a sponsor. This is my way of letting them know that it's important to be in AA, and not around it. The fact that no one does this alone is very important for me to share.

As for the reflection, hell ya I have been guilty of that. I just have to stand back and ask "who am I to judge?" There might be someone shaking their head at the way I work the program...who knows. For me to get resentful that someone isn't doing it my way, well...that's how I used to go through life, and it didn't serve me. So why would it serve me now?

Great reminder.