Notices

Daily Reflections

Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections

*~*~*~*~*^DailyReflections^*~*~*~*~*

A COMMON SOLUTION

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 17The most far-reaching Twelfth Step work was the publication of our Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Few can equal that book for carrying the message. My idea is to get out of myself and simply do what I can. Even if I haven't been asked to sponsor and my phone rarely rings, I am still able to do Twelfth Step work. I get involved in "brotherly and harmonious action." At meetings I show up early to greet people and to help set up, and to share my experience, strength and hope. I also do what I can with service work. My Higher Power gives me exactly what He wants me to do at any given point in my recovery and, if I let Him, my willingness will bring Twelfth Step work automatically.

c 1990 Daily Reflections Alcoholics Anonymous World, Services, INC.

PS On this date in 1937, Bill W. met with trustees of the Rockefeller
Foundation in an attempt to get money to support his "new idea to cure
drunks." Our co-founders were not the only ones divinely guided. John D. Rockefeller Jr., sent a representative (Frank Amos) to Akron to assess the new movement. Amos returned with a recommendation that $50,000 be granted the as-yet-unnamed organization.

But Rockefeller had the foresight to see that outside money would corrupt this fledgling fellowship. In February of '38, he offered only $5,000-- enough seed money to set up a small office and pay a secretary and postage to respond to mail queries.
One of the reasons the Big Book was written was as a money maker to offset this disappointment.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

While sponsoring is certainly a strong way to carry the message, there are many other ways that I can do 12th step work, and try to do what I can when I can. I may not be part of a certain group, but I sometimes ask if I can greet so I can see the newcomers and make sure they feel welcome. I put my name on as a contact at my old treatment center, I volunteer at round ups and conferences, I add my name at intergroup for detox and treatment calls. But it can be the quiet times when I am helping to set up a meeting that some wonderful sharing with a new guy that the real magic of passing it on happens. I can't imagine not sharing what has worked for me. What a deal.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

heres a thought: would practicing these principles in all my affiars be 12th step work? it is part of the 12th step.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
heres a thought: would practicing these principles in all my affiars be 12th step work? it is part of the 12th step.
Yes, it would.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Yes, it would.
Amen