Notices

Daily Reflections

Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections

*~*~*~*~*^DailyReflections^*~*~*~*~*
A NEW STATE OF CONSCIOUSNESS

He has been granted a gift which amounts to a new state of consciousness and being.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p 107

Many of us in A.A. puzzle over what is a spiritual awakening. I tended to look for a miracle, something dramatic and earth shattering. But what usually happens is that a sense of well-being, a feeling of peace, transforms us into a new level of awareness. That's what happened to me. My insanity and inner turmoil disappeared and I entered into a new dimension of hope, love and peace. I think the degree to which I continue to experience this new dimension is in direct proportion to the sincerity, depth and devotion with which I practice the Twelve Steps of A.A.

c 1990 Daily Reflections Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

In the spiritual experience near the back of the big book this is spoken about. It talks how many of us do not experience the "lightning bolt" type of spiritual awakening, but more so of the gradual one. One that isn't noticed by us at first as much as the people around we interact with daily.

My spiritual awakening/experience is definitely of the gradual kind. I used to be envious and jealous of those that seemed to get a kick in the ass one and then "get it" and remain sober after that. Not anymore, it ain't gonna happen by my forcing it to, but it's GOING to happen as long as I work all 12 steps. Because that is THE result of them.

Love this stuff!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I would wonder if I ever did get the spiritual awakening - I mean, I have had some spiritual experiences, but a spiritual awakening? Was there a certificate I got in the mail when that happened?

But the reading here lines up with what I always felt deep down - that the insanity and inner turmoil was lifted and there was a sense of peace and tranquility. I must still work at these through my prayer and meditation, working with others, etc. but at a deep level, I know that I don't have the calamity in my spiritual body that I used to have. And that could only come from a spiritual awakening as a result of working the steps.

Great reading