SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   A New Low At The AA Club...... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/276447-new-low-aa-club.html)

Justfor1 12-04-2012 07:36 AM

A New Low At The AA Club......

Well now I can say that I've seen it all in my years of AA meetings. Our club had a giant 2 foot glass donation jar for our Christmas party. The money was going to go for kids toys & presents. There was an estimated $300+ in the jar. Someone walked out with it! The odd thing is that we have cameras everywhere. They reviewed the tapes & have a suspect. They called the police & they plan on talking & , hopefully, arresting him at the local homeless shelter. One member even was talking about, "dealing with him" himself. I just cannot imagine a more pathetic act. I will not pray for him & hope he gets arrested & prison time. He is on parole now & got out of prison last year. Unbelievable.

bbthumper 12-04-2012 07:43 AM

But for the Grace of God...
I have learned that it is better to be stolen from than to be the one who feels it is necessary to steal. Not trying to justify what the guy did, but haven't we all done some pathetic things in our day?

The guy will be in my prayers. He is obviously not well.

lilyrosemary 12-04-2012 07:49 AM

In my opinion, the dude that wanted to "deal with him" needs help as much as the one who walked out with the jar.
I don't understand the surprise, really. that's what us addicts do.
i am the proverbial Mary Friggin' Poppins on the outside, and i stole pills from my own sick mom.
Again, in my opinion, this man needs prayer, help, forgiveness, and love.

Fernaceman 12-04-2012 08:00 AM

As it was said before, that's not really a surprise to me. It really IS what addicts do. While in active addiction, I stole and did whatever I needed to keep my habit going. It didn't matter who I hurt or upset in the process.

It sounds like a lot of people put expectations on te fact that no one would think about or actually steal it. This could have been easily avoided by many means.

Sure, it's unfortunate, but I am not at all shocked or surprised.

Justfor1 12-04-2012 08:01 AM

I did some horrible things while in active addiction.:no: But I never took advantage of the AA fellowship. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I will pray that he gets caught & sent back to the Illinois Department Of Corrections. Alcoholic/addict is a disease that sometimes leads to criminal behavior. IMO when you cross that line you should be dealt with in a criminal manner & not just a sick person.

bbthumper 12-04-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Justfor1 (Post 3701779)
I did some horrible things while in active addiction.:no: But I never took advantage of the AA fellowship. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I will pray that he gets caught & sent back to the Illinois Department Of Corrections. Alcoholic/addict is a disease that sometimes leads to criminal behavior. IMO when you cross that line you should be dealt with in a criminal manner & not just a sick person.

I agree that it was a crime and he should face the appropriate penalty, but to hold this against him? You're only hurting your chance to be helpful IMO.

tomsteve 12-04-2012 08:04 AM

We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick.Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."

although i believe it good to let him face the consequences, anyone "dealing with him" or not praying for him goes against the principles of what we are taught.

would you not view the behavior you exibited before you got into recovery as sick?

Justfor1 12-04-2012 08:28 AM

I hear what everyone is saying. But I do not believe that because I was sick that I should be above the law. For example, during my DUI's I was a sick person. But, driving drunk is illegal & anti-social behavior so I got what I deserved. A revoked drivers license & community service. It's why addiction is not a popular disease in society. In many cases, we become criminals & become dangerous to a civilized society.

DayTrader 12-04-2012 08:40 AM

What's worse Just:

1. an act against God's will committed by someone who's sick, separated from God, and doesn't have the Power in their life to do better

or

2. Someone who has the power, has the connection, but willfully spits in God's face.

#1 may not know better........#2 does, but ignores his/her duty as a child of God.

I will not pray for him & hope he gets arrested
I don't feel sorry for him at all.
You may want to re-look at the 3rd step and consider how long an alcoholic can suspect to live under self-propulsion, judging the world and playing God and stay sober.

Elisabeth888 12-04-2012 08:52 AM

I imagine that this person is pretty desperate. It would suck to have to steal to live or feed an addiction.

I would feel sorry for him and he deserves the punishment that the law gives him.

Elisabeth888 12-04-2012 09:20 AM

We should pray for people we dislike. It actually helps US more.

Elisabeth888 12-04-2012 09:26 AM

We had someone break into our place and vandalize and bust into the safe.

Stuff like that is bound to happen with a bunch of sickies like us.

Fernaceman 12-04-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 (Post 3701894)
We should pray for people we dislike. It actually helps US more.

Good point.

2granddaughters 12-04-2012 09:47 AM

That's the point of it.

yeahgr8 12-04-2012 09:59 AM

Not the best of ideas to have a jar full of money sitting around in a room full of drunks is it?! The group might want to have a group conscience and write that one down for future reference.

omegasupreme 12-04-2012 10:20 AM

I'll pray for His will to be done and if I get used along the way then cool, if not, then cool. I'm not above that kind of behavior.

A local club by the university I attend has a safe bolted to the foundation of the building. Back door has been kicked in and the safe ripped out numerous times. It's a poor group that can barely keep the doors open. Safe usually has maybe $50. Group goes through lots of safes lol. Three I think since I've been sober.

Hopefully the $300 will buy enough booze to bring him to his knees and surrender him. Who knows? Maybe he'll make amends tenfold. Lots of potential power in that story...God all over it. :)

muvinon 12-04-2012 11:36 AM

Gosh, that idea seems like it was an invitation to theft.

Where I attend meetings, there are a lot of court-ordered folks. I wouldn't presume they are sober or at all able to walk past that kind of temptation.

sugarbear1 12-04-2012 11:48 AM

AA Club, enough said.

it's not the first time and probably won't be the last time....

where's the treasurer in all this?

Music 12-04-2012 11:58 AM

Stand at ease Justfor1. No sense getting a resentment over something...truth be known, we've all done and under the right circumstances would probably do again if the need was bad enough. Let the law take it's course, thank God it wasn't you and pray that you'll never need money bad enough to do the same.:herewego

Fernaceman 12-04-2012 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 3702103)
AA Club, enough said.

it's not the first time and probably won't be the last time....

where's the treasurer in all this?

SB, some of us (myself) have had mostly positive experiences with clubs.