SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   Big Book Quote (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/182292-big-book-quote.html)

Astro 08-13-2009 07:23 AM

Big Book Quote

*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book Quote^*~*~*~*~*

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost
the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes
practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring
into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the
suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are
without defense against the first drink."

~Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st Edition, There Is A Solution, pg. 24~

Boleo 08-13-2009 07:58 AM

I often hear the Cliché:

"We must keep the painful memories of our last drunk fresh in our minds or we will drink again"

IMO people who can stay sober that way do not have the ISM of alcoholism.

Tommyh 08-13-2009 12:51 PM

"We must keep the painful memories of our last drunk fresh in our minds or we will drink again"
people must be in real bad shape to believe that line Boleo..that just thinking of the past pain keeps you sober.
I never heard it quite that way before.Around here,it is generally said,remember your last drunk,remember where you came from.
Which means it will not get you sober or keep you sober,but it helps you to see where you are today and be grateful to God you do not have to live that old way any longer.Sort of a reality check and inspirational tool.it`s a good thing when done correctly

gravity 08-13-2009 02:47 PM

Which means it will not get you sober or keep you sober,but it helps you to see where you are today and be grateful to God you do not have to live that old way any longer.Sort of a reality check and inspirational tool.
My drinking history and in particular the memories of those last few benders really helps keep my step 1 current. Each time planning to have a few social drinks, each time ending up blacked out/out of control for three days. And of course, each time swearing that I would never drink again.

These memories also help keep me honest. When I am getting cocky or think that I have alcoholism beat, going back to where I came from helps bring me back earth.

Conversely when I am down on myself and feel that I am not making any progress, I can look back at my old life and see the change.

As time passes, those memories aren't as painful as they used to be but they remain important. "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it" comes to mind.

We must keep the painful memories of our last drunk fresh in our minds or we will drink again
I'm not a big fan of fear-based recovery. For me, seeking reality and being honest with myself are much more effective.

And quite honestly, I would not be sober today without the fellowship & the 12 steps. On their own, those memories of my "suffering and humiliation" are worthless, perhaps even harmful (self-pity).

BB quotes from the 1st edition of the BB.

McGowdog 08-13-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bballdad (Post 2330127)
I never heard it quite that way before.Around here,it is generally said,remember your last drunk,remember where you came from.

The way I've heard it out here is, "If you can't remember your last drunk, you haven't had it."

I just so happen to remember my last drunk because it was a doozy. I just hope it stays my last drunk. I go back into my past when necessary, but as old Stanley says, "It's ok to look at your past, but don't stare at it." There's some great demonstrations of lack of control in there.

I have no problem going back into my experience if it's a 1st Step exercise or talking to a new person ... because we have a solution to go with that experience too.

shaun00 08-13-2009 07:45 PM

We are unable, at certain times, to bring
into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the
suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are
without defense against the first drink."

sufficient force.......

for me that sufficient force is not being able to connect to the emotions..the suffering and humiliation.

sure i remember some of the "event" ..but it has no "meat" to it.
just an event...

mind you... i returned to drinking so often that much of it is a mixture of mixed up events and periods.

i dont need to remember my last drink ...i need to remember whom keeps me from the next one.....

sugErspun 08-14-2009 08:57 AM

The best reason I can think in recalling my last drunk is in it's usefullness to someone who can relate to it. Maybe someone new, who thinks no one understands the pain they are going through. Perhaps the physical and mental pain, or they were sober for a bit and don't know what happened..the shame etc.

In no way do I think that the memory itself will keep me sober.

Oh yea, there's that "sufficient force" part as well. My history tells me that over and over I haven't been able to keep that pain close enough to avoid going through it again.