Notices

How do I 'Fire' my sponsor?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Question How do I 'Fire' my sponsor?

I would like some tips on how to 'fire' my sponsor. What is the proper protocol?

I realize that her way is not by the big book. And that is how I want to be sponsored. Also, I am not sure why I picked her in the first place. Mostly just impulse. She has 8 years. I've only had her for a week. But she does not really have what I want.

She smokes (I quit 8 months ago, and being around her has triggered smoking dreams), she informed me that 'everyone has to work' (I have a disability), and then found out, when I asked her if she works..that she doesn't!!!! HEllo...practice what you preach...and she once made the condescending remark to me...'don't show up at my door asking to live with me because you bought some expensive perfume'...omg...1- I would NEVER live in another woman's household!! I would rather live on the street. and 2 - I am a bargain betty and don't buy expensive perfume, or clothes or what not...my source of financial duress is due to student loans, and being separated from my husband right now. Also she is single, and flirts shamelessly with the single men at the meeting. I drive a nicer car than her...and I find out she has some condition on her license that she needs some dr's note for the medication she is on..and seems to be in a very heavily medicated fog most of the time..very flat affect...AND she didn't make her court date, and I informed her that means she has a warrant out for her arrest, and she didn't believe me. Now she wants me to do 90 om 90 (not in the big book) and expects me to drive in snowstorms with no gas to get to a meeting!

I was told by someone to just stop calling her so that's what i'm going to do. I decided this after calling her this morning and getting voice mail. She has not called me back and I will not pick up when she does (thank you caller ID), she is probably on the phone with her sponsor figuring out a way to fire ME..lol!!!

I would like to hear from you guys what you did when you decided not to have your sponsor, and how they reacted. I know I can't control how she reacts but it will make seeing her at meetings kind of uncomfortable. I nicely fired one sponsor years ago, i thought i was very diplomatic, AND she gave me the cold shoulder and had a resentment after that!

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

BTW...I only have about 70 days sobriety this go-round. I do want a sponsor that is right for me and believe in working the steps as they are laid out in the big book.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

oh and one more quick thing..i started writing my step one. should i stop working on it until I find another sponsor, or continue to work on it. ty
Old 03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I left a message on my old sponsor's answering machine. I said "yeah hi this is X, I have to let someone else have a go, thanks for 2 years."
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I like the expression "kick rocks"...

I drive a nicer car than her...
Hey now... ain't no shame rollin' in a hoopdi!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Just be honest--you can just say that this sponsor/sponsee relationship isn't working for you...and just leave it at that. Keep it simple.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just fired mine by email.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I strongly dislike the word "fire" in relation to changing sponsors or letting a sponsee go. It implies some sort of contractual control of one person over another.

I do believe that when I have a relationship with a person, it's best in the spirit of love and honesty to express a change to her. "Thank you for your time, but this is not working out for me, and I'm actively looking for another sponsor who's a better fit," works just fine. No finger-pointing, no blame game, no "firing."

Just my two cents. I'll say a prayer that you find the person who's right for you.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I would not go into all the reasons you have just given. Simply state that you are not getting your spiritual needs met. How she reacts is not your problem. Your problem is that you don't like to be uncomfortable.

I do't see how what kind of car she drives would have anything to do with it, though. Kind of shallow, IMO.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hate the fired stuff too...it seems silly to me.

When I change sponsors i jsut say I've decided to change sponsors.....it isn't even necessary to say it isn't working...just let them know you have moved on.

Early on I just stoped calling and got a new one...in the form of sponsorship practiced in AA at that time in my area that was perfectly fine and acceptable.

Where I am now and when i am now...i would need to make a call to let them know as things are different.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I hate the fired stuff too...it seems silly to me.
I agree. Another phrase I don't understand is "BB nazi" or "service nazi." These terms are offensive to AA, jewish people, and anyone else who knows anything about the holocaust.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I find the word 'fired' a bit rough also. Sounds like you've been given some good advice here. Just phone her and say thanks but no thanks and when you ask someone next time to sponsor you, may help to find out a bit about them first, like how they work their program.

When I got sober, there was this woman I always saw at meetings who was beautiful, been sober forever, had her own business, modern car and spoke really well at meetings so I wanted to ask her, because that was I thought life was about - looking good.

These days I thank my lucky stars I never had the courage to ask her because she is IMO pretty sick, emotionally. Very manipulative, cruel, flashy, drama queen etc...

Instead I got a little old lady who lived in a bedsit and told me she never used the 'F' word outside of her own home - she was very old fashion.
We also read the big book together. For me God works through all kinds of people, I just have to be open minded enough to see/hear it.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
I agree. Another phrase I don't understand is "BB nazi" or "service nazi." These terms are offensive to AA, jewish people, and anyone else who knows anything about the holocaust.

I'm not Jewish and I find those terms offensive. To use a term like "Big Book Nazi" to describe another member of the fellowship that saved both our lives is indeed offensive, and how someone could use it to describe a program that stresses love, tolerance, and service to all is beyond me.
Jim
Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
Another phrase I don't understand is "BB nazi" or "service nazi." These terms are offensive to AA, jewish people, and anyone else who knows anything about the holocaust.
That term has pretty much been adopted by pop culture and applied to everything...

(slang, usually pejorative, see usage notes below) One who imposes one's views on others.

She's a total grammar Nazi.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for your responses. I only used the term 'fired' because I didn't know how else to put it. So I will rephrase that...'change' sponsor...or 'discontinue' sponsor.

Also, I knew when I wrote about the 'nicer car' thing I might be understood and called shallow. I am so not shallow. I just feel that financial responsibility is a good sign. My car is not that nice..it is a 2001 for goodness sakes...

I have to be very careful how I word things around here I've found. Mea culpa.

Thank you for the good advice though. I called someone I know in the program and I've decided to take his advice and the advice I got years ago, just not call her. When I see her at a meeting I will be my usual friendly self and if she asks me why I'm not calling her, I'll simply say 'something'...lol...but not give a lot of reasons she can shoot down..

I notice that she has not returned my call and it is midafternoon so she has probably fired ME anyways LOL!...

Last Sunday there was a snowstorm and she wanted me to go to a meeting. So I felt guilty for not going. Today is another huge snowstorm and I am so glad I can relax and not feel guilty for driving in a snowstorm....

A couple of weeks ago I drove in a blizzard to a meeting. On the way back it was me and the snowplows..and I thought..this is effing ridiculous!

Oh, and I asked my friend who has 8 years in the program..and does it the big book way...about my first step ..and he said i've already done step 1 -3 and don't need to write anything down until the fourth step. Yay!

Thanks everyone! From the most unshallow person I know! ME! I will never mention material things again!!!!! I will soar above the masses on a cloud of spirituality from henceforth..and if you don't have a sense of humor...oh well!

Have a nice Sunday!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Doorknob,

I have found one has to word things very carefully around here! I am so glad the AA meetings I go to there is a much kinder gentler crowd..I mean most of the people on here are nice, but some just seem to find anything in your words to pick apart.

I'm considering not posting anymore, as I, like most alcoholics, am 'sensitive to the extreme' and personally, I hate being misunderstood and judged in a negative way! By the way what is a hoopdi??? lol..is that a hyundai?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
That term has pretty much been adopted by pop culture and applied to everything...
And it's no more acceptable than it is in this context. By lightly using terms like "nazi" it subtracts from their true meaning, and distorts the lessons we are supposed to have taken away from the holocaust.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Seahorse don't listen to them, you can use the ignore button i believe too if you are that bothered about it! Just post what you want the moderators are more than able to manage any offensive posts and do so on a regular basis. Stopping posting not only hurts you but also other newcomers who may pick up something from your posts that may inspire them to do something about their problems :ghug3

But as we can post our own opinion using our own words, it is entirely fair that someone else can offer their opinion on our posts or the way we word them and you should not take this to heart, sometimes easier said than done!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

yeahgr8...thank you so much! I forgot about the ignore button! And the moderators here are absolutely awesome on keeping on top of things before they spiral out of control...kudos to the mods!!!!!

I will try to grow more of a 'rhino hide'..lol....it is a term we use in the sales biz..i used to work at an inbound callcenter...so got lots of NO's to my great offers to improve your love life for only 24.95! In fact I am in great need of a job, and know I could work at a callcenter (inbound calls only..no outbound calls) but think it would effect my sobriety..as most of the people there party..AND i don't feel right about some of the products..they seem kind of hokey to me!

I just found this great website with speaker tapes of oldtimers of AA, going to listen to that now since I can't get out to a meeting due to YET ANOTHER huge snowstorm here in the northeast!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"If you and your husband find a solution for the pressing problem of drink you are of coarse, going to be very happy. But all problems will not be solved at once. Seed has started to sprout in new soil, but growth has only begun. In spite of your new-found happiness, there will be ups and downs. Many of the old problems will still be with you. This is as it should be."
-Chapter 8, To Wives, page 117

If I was looking for a sponsor, the first question I would ask is have they taken the steps. And then I would look at how they live. But I'll tell you what, if it was about me solving all my problems and then being useful I'd be drunk right now.

I'm sober eighteen years and my car is a 1998 Toyota Camry with 170, 000 miles on it.

I live very simply, I'm not in debt, other than a mortage, which my income covers adequately. It took me almost the first ten years sober to pay my financial amends. After that I made another mess that took me several years to straighten out.

They say that finances and romances are the areas we alkies have the most trouble with, that has certainly been true in my experience. I think with me, money was the last area of my life that I surrendered my agnostic tendecies and gave over to trusting God.

But I will also say that during the time I've been sober and have had money problems and other problems, God still used me. I gave all of me to God and God uses me as I am, not as I think I should be. And certainly not as others think I should be.

As for just not calling her, I don't buy that. You asked for help didn't you? The least you owe is a courtesy call. Not calling is just like an alcoholic who won't take responsibilty and be honest because being honest might be uncomfortable. Instead we just pass through people's lives and when the going gets a little tough or uncomfortable, we just leave. Same goes for the ignore button. Let's just ignore what is uncomfortable, kind of like the stack of unopened bills in the drawer or using caller id to ignore the bill collectors. I don't know about you all, but my whole life has been a search for comfort and it damn near killed me and hurt a lot of people in the process. And it is real easy to turn Alcoholics Anonymous into just another search for comfort. You will just have to learn to be uncomfortable at times. The sooner I learned that, the easier it became to either just sit through it or to take responsible action.

By the way, you are right about growing some thicker skin. You asked, after all. I've had to learn not to take everything so personally. I don't say what I say as a personal attack, it is just that I have found that the direct approach is the best approach.
Peace,
Jim

Big Book refrences from Alcoholics Anonymous, First Edition