Notices

Statistics AA 97% Failure Rate?

Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I really don't think it matters what percentage of people in AA get and stay sober. If it 3% or 30%, that's a lot of people!! Who knows what might of happened to these people if AA wasn't around. Lives have been saved through AA. There might not be a way to give a percentage of how many lives were saved, but that's not important. The fact is AA has worked for many. That's really the only thing that matters.
The other programs like RR might have similar results. The important point is that there are a lot of people that have been helped through the program they connected with.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
If this is a serious question and not just a rant for rhetorical effect, I think I can take a stab at answering it.

I think some longtime AA members are so immersed in the world of AA that they’ve lost perspective on how the organization can be perceived by the outside world.

When discussing routes to sobriety, there are a few AAs who are genuinely humble and open-minded enough to say "whatever works" and really mean it. However, a good many are unable to resist adding a passive-aggressive undertone to the effect of "but my way really is better," and then of course there are the vocal few who openly insist that AA is the only way.

It’s simple human nature to take pot shots at any institution around which there
is an air of smugness or holier-than-thou-ness. Are there individuals in AA who are anything but smug? Of course. Is AA as a whole entirely undeserving of being broad-brushed with this general perception? Not so much.

I think most AA-bashing -- including trotting out statistics "proving" its poor "success rate" -- is attributable to this sort of backlash against perceived smugness.
Well put.

You can find such smugness among various AA groups as well.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

I believe it to be true
Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Let it be known that that same smugness is present in the other sober groups also. This is not something that's an AA condition, it's a human condition.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
I think some longtime AA members are so immersed in the world of AA that they’ve lost perspective on how the organization can be perceived by the outside world....
When discussing routes to sobriety, there are a few AAs who are genuinely humble and open-minded enough to say "whatever works" and really mean it. However, a good many are unable to resist adding a passive-aggressive undertone to the effect of "but my way really is better," and then of course there are the vocal few who openly insist that AA is the only way.

I was very surprised to see the agreement with this view. I had to ask myself, where exactly are these people who are saying AA is the only way? Here on SR, or in Andante's personal face to face contacts? If they are in your personal experience, outside of this website, then I would address this attitude as it comes up, and with those specific individuals. This is not my experience, almost everyone in AA where I attend acknowledges that many get sober through treatment programs. Perhaps where you live things are much different.

My more pointed question is - do you find this attitude here in the SR forums? Perhaps I'm missing something because I don't see it. In fact what I see over and over again are people who claim that that they hear people from AA saying that "AA is the only way". Well, I would like to see the evidence for this. Could you please point to posts by this "vocal few" who say AA is the only way? I'm even going to PM you to be sure you don't miss this post. That's how much I want to see the evidence of what you are referring to. If nothing is posted I'll assume nothing was found.

I would also like to see the evidence for the "good many" who add a "passive aggressive undertone" of "our way is better". Could I also trouble you to point out some of this well? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Let it be known that that same smugness is present in the other sober groups also. This is not something that's an AA condition, it's a human condition.
Good point.

7 billion people on the earth and I would find it hard to believe this is limited to people in recovery.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Administrator

feh.

Cats are way more smug than any alcoholic, AA or not.

D
Old 12-20-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I really don't think it matters what percentage of people in AA get and stay sober. If it 3% or 30%, that's a lot of people!! Who knows what might of happened to these people if AA wasn't around. Lives have been saved through AA. There might not be a way to give a percentage of how many lives were saved, but that's not important. The fact is AA has worked for many. That's really the only thing that matters.
The other programs like RR might have similar results. The important point is that there are a lot of people that have been helped through the program they connected with.
Good point. I found AA very helpful early on in getting sober. I don't buy into the steps as a tool for staying sober, but I think the social aspects of the program are helpful.

Ultimately I think most people just sober up or moderate on their own.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I was very surprised to see the agreement with this view. I had to ask myself, where exactly are these people who are saying AA is the only way? Here on SR, or in Andante's personal face to face contacts? If they are in your personal experience, outside of this website, then I would address this attitude as it comes up, and with those specific individuals. This is not my experience, almost everyone in AA where I attend acknowledges that many get sober through treatment programs. Perhaps where you live things are much different.

My more pointed question is - do you find this attitude here in the SR forums? Perhaps I'm missing something because I don't see it. In fact what I see over and over again are people who claim that that they hear people from AA saying that "AA is the only way". Well, I would like to see the evidence for this. Could you please point to posts by this "vocal few" who say AA is the only way? I'm even going to PM you to be sure you don't miss this post. That's how much I want to see the evidence of what you are referring to. If nothing is posted I'll assume nothing was found.

I would also like to see the evidence for the "good many" who add a "passive aggressive undertone" of "our way is better". Could I also trouble you to point out some of this well? Thanks.
Well, I can only say that I have run into many well-intentioned people at AA meetings that do feel that AA is the only true way to get and stay sober. There's no way to prove it, but it does happen. Try discussing RR or any other recovery program to these people and you will see this attitude real quick. That's one reason why I laugh when people in AA say to keep an open mind. John
Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I'll agree that I don't see a whole lot, if any of that, on this forum, but I've seen/heard it at certain meetings. Thankfully very few, and those are the meetings I choose not to go to. Not to add fuel to the fire I'd rather extinguish, but there is a school of thought within the AA community that people who get sober without AA aren't "real" alcoholics. If you're a "real" alcoholic, as defined in the BB, then they believe that AA is the only solution. And they can be very vocal about it. This is not the opinion of AA. It's theirs, and it's the reason I feel these people can sometimes cause more harm than good.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Freethinker

I'll agree that I don't see a whole lot, if any of that, on this forum, but I've seen/heard it at certain meetings. Thankfully very few, and those are the meetings I choose not to go to. Not to add fuel to the fire I'd rather extinguish, but there is a school of thought within the AA community that people who get sober without AA aren't "real" alcoholics. If you're a "real" alcoholic, as defined in the BB, then they believe that AA is the only solution. And they can be very vocal about it. This is not the opinion of AA. It's theirs, and it's the reason I feel these people can sometimes cause more harm than good.
I can also attest to encountering this strain of AA thought in my area, and also avoiding those meetings (and members).

My opinion of the recent Southern California Convention I attended was that it had a strongly Christian undertone, and even went so far as to recite the pledge of allegiance in the opening meeting. I am pretty sure that is not in the BB. These violations of the 10th tradition certainly are not attractive to all who may need the program. Which leads us back to the OP.

These forums are refreshingly open and willing to support a "many paths" approach.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Cool

...there is a school of thought within the AA community that people who get sober without AA aren't "real" alcoholics. If you're a "real" alcoholic, as defined in the BB, then they believe that AA is the only solution...
Don't you just love their circular logic (sic)........?

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I remember my sponsor's answer when I told him that the Steps were "suggested." He replied that they are "suggested" in the same way that, if you were to jump out of an airplane with a parachute, it is "suggested" that you pull the ripcord to save your life. He pointed out that it was "suggested" I practice the Twelve Steps, if I wanted to save my life.
What is the original source of this? I think it satisfies awuh's search criteria. The only way? check. Passive aggessive? check.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Like you Joe I have encountered it and also like you I chose not to go to those meetings which seems to be held a lot into clubhouses >while I know they provide a needed service for some, I really do not care for the clubhouse mentality<
I think too that for some who strongly believe that it is more about lack of information rather than maliciousness. I knew that AA was not the only way because my godfather has over 3 decades clean and sober and never set foot in a 12 step program but let's face it: in many places AA is still the only game in town
Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
What is the original source of this? I think it satisfies awuh's search criteria. The only way? check. Passive aggessive? check.
How is that saying it's the only way, or in any way being passive aggressive?

If I tell you I have a pill that will help you with a headache, and I suggest you take it, does that mean I believe I have the only solution for that headache?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
as your avrt recovery tells people to aviod all recovery groups i am surprised your on a forum like this

show me where aa tells anyone not to go to anywhere else for help ? yet the avrt website openly does ?

as far as i can see, you need a computer and money to pay for councilors etc with avrt so to me your avrt will only work for well off people and even then it will not promote harmony living as its clear what they say KEEP AWAY FROM RECOVERY GROUPS

of course avrt doesnt have any recovery groups of its own and i believe they used to have them and pulled out of them smart recovery went its own way or parted ways with avrt as smart believes in a group concept although i am no expert so i can be well wrong on this ?

but the more i have had a look at avrt the more i can see a controling type of concept were people have to rubbish aa and promote the avrt way

to me its ugly just as bad as some aa memebers who ram things down peoples throats i understand there passion for it but dont like there methods
Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Cool

"I remember my sponsor's answer when I told him that the Steps were "suggested." He replied that they are "suggested" in the same way that, if you were to jump out of an airplane with a parachute, it is "suggested" that you pull the ripcord to save your life. He pointed out that it was "suggested" I practice the Twelve Steps, if I wanted to save my life."

Actually, the steps, individually, are not suggested; the steps (all 12 of them) are suggested as 'A' program of recovery (as per pg 59 of AA's BB). Note, they are NOT suggested as 'the' program of recovery.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-20-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tomas, AA nor any other recovery method has ever had a 75% success rate. Addiction to chemical substances is very powerful and I'm just grateful that there are places like SR, AA, and any other organization that puts out the effort to help addicts like myself. Rootin for everyone and Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Well, OK, awuh, I guess you got me there, huh.

Let’s say I combed through the entirety of the SR archives and couldn’t find a single trace of "smugness" or "AA is the only way" in any post about AA. Let’s say I was wrong.

So where does that leave us? What are YOUR answers to JoeNerv’s original questions:

Why do so many people feel they have to disprove the success of AA? Why is so important for some people to do their best to prove how it "doesn't" work? Does it serve their conscience well in some way?

I was only submitting for consideration one possible scenario based on my experience. I feel no obligation to rise to the defensive and dig through the archives so I can cite specific examples that support my perceptions — I’m just not that emotionally invested in it. Perhaps ask yourself why you seem to be?
Old 12-20-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for your "example" Freshstart. It shows how some individuals can attribute negativity without there being evidence for it. If I remember correctly, the example of pulling the rip cord was made in reference to someone who is already participating in AA. At least the comment was made within this 12 step forum. I believe it was an example given to illustrate the importance of taking obvious and effective action, as opposed to inaction.

Suggesting a course of action that has worked for many hundreds of thousands of individuals, and left their lives far better that they could have ever imagined, is hardly a negative thing.

Passive aggressive? uncheck X2