Notices

People who stop going to meetings but stay sober

Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

People who stop going to meetings but stay sober

I was talking with an aa friend yesterday and other people's names came up who we haven't seen in forever, but are still sober somewhere. Either absorbed in a relationship, doing a big geographical move for some job... people who just disappear but are still sober. "Live and let live" he said. "Lots of people just stop going to meetings but don't go back drinking... maybe they are doing something else or trying something else."

I think you can practice the program by yourself in the middle of the bush as long as you have god and some reading material. And yes, there were people who got sober before there was AA, so there are "other" ways. Ever notice people just disappear from meetings for a long period while staying sober, or ever do this yourself?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know a few people who after 10-15 years of sobriety in AA decided to quit going to meetings. I know one guy joined a local church and continued doing well.

tib 6
Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ago

Didn't work for me, but I do have a number of friends that have 25+ years of sobriety that "wandered away" the caveat being they are active in their church/spiritual practice and continue "carrying the message.

When surrounded by sober people and practicing the principals in all my affairs including working with others I have gone long periods without meetings but when I moved back to live and work with my family (3 practicing alkies and a practicing junkie) and didn't attend meetings, didn't have sober people in my life, wasn't "working with others" etc I got pretty sick in short order.

Pretty much my opinion is "If you gotta ask.....(something about the blues)"

I have also seen people "wander away" with 20+ years of sobriety, drink, and not be able to make it back. Talk about "the suck".

For today, I'm not really interested, and that's all I really worry about any more is me and my program, I went "out" to follow some friends cause they drank for a year and they were doing ok and it didn't work out for me (drinking after a period of sobriety, in the BB check) and I stopped going to meetings after being around for 14 years and drank....check.

So I don't really need to "play with fire" or perform "experiments" with my alcoholism any more. I "made it back" twice, that's three miracles right there, why mess with success.

The time to wonder about that is after I have 25+ years, not now, that's like playing with Fire.

Attend meetings, "do the deal", Happy, joyous and free...check.

that's what works for me.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA isn't simply about quitting drinking. If it was it would be a One Step Program. It's like saying that I know some people that stopped going to church and still don't break any commandments!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ever notice people just disappear from meetings for a long period while staying sober, or ever do this yourself?

I was sober for 10 years without attending any meetings.

But by going to meetings I now realize the difference between 'sober time' and 'recovery'.

Meetings make me keep loving life!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I've met some people who have changed their 'brand' of meetings, the ones who had other options available...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I couldn't do it.. tried a few times. I need the power of the fellowship just as much as the program of AA.

I know a few that have stopped going.. as others have said.. they got deeply involved in church.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Okay, gonna come out of left field here.

I stopped drinking, died, brought back to live, went to a recovery home for alcoholic women and was taken to AA. Now, I liked the AA meetings. Didn't know anything about a '12 Step Program' but I felt safe in those meetings. I ran again and again to those meetings. There was where I found people who had been where I was and who were no longer drinking, and seemed to have a pretty reasonable life and that was what I wanted. There was where I finally found some 'true friends' and they were sober!

I have been to meetings all over this country, and to some in Australia too. I hve found it to be true for me that the only thing about a new AA meeting, is there are 'friends' there I haven't met yet.

Got a sponsor, like they suggested, sheesh, how was I to know the 'fun' was about to begin.

I learned a lot in the meetings, more about how to be civilized and interact with folks again, something I had lost all those years out there practicing my alcoholism.

But my true teachers, were my sponsor, her husband, and some of the Old Timers that were their long time FRIENDS.

A lot has happened in my 27 1/2+ years of continuous sobriety, including backing off from meetings. I learned fairly early from some of those old 'hard azzes' that AA was not about 'living' in meetings the rest of my, AA was about LIVING period. Yes they all still went to meetings maybe 1 or 2 a week, or 1 ever other week. But they did other things too, they spoke at speaker meetings when asked (and some of them were asked a lot), they volunteered and worked conventions and round ups (which by the way usually take almost a year of prep before they actually occur), they got involved in their communities, etc.

Hugh used to say "we help you find recovery, we guide you how to apply it to your own life, and then we send you OUT THERE to live your life and help others in whatever way you find fits you best." And by 'out there' he meant just that. Many of the folks I got sober with are now scattered all over the country (yes we stay in touch) and some over the world. I have 4 sponsees that live outside the states. We are a very 'mobile' society and do move all over the world.

I have attended many meetings over the years, and as my life grew and changed other things changed also. My meeting attendance declined, however I always have current schedule for my area and areas around here available to me.

Today I go to meetings when I can. My health got real real bad for a time, and one day I had a knock on my door and some of my AA friends had brought a meeting to my home, some of the folks I really didn't know, some were from the one or two regular meetings I had been going to. They did that for a year, until the Drs could get me back on my feet.

I typed all of the above in the hopes at what I say next will be clear. I was told:

"YOU HAVE TO GO TO MEETINGS..........................UNTIL YOU WANT TO GO TO MEETINGS...............................THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO MEETINGS ANYMORE."

Well dang, it only took me about the first 10 years into recovery to finally figure out what it really meant, roflmao.

Today, still sober, when my health allows, I to to a meeting because I WANT to go, not because I have to go.

It is you, the individual, who will eventually decide, using the tools you have learned, just how many meetings you WANT to keep you comfortable in YOUR OWN skin.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

ty Laurie
I know of some AA`s who have stopped going to meetings and got drunk and died.I know of a few that got into church and stayed happy and sober.
As for myself,I like to go to meetings for several reasons.I like the people there and love to see them grow.I find ways to be of service there.God uses them to get to me sometimes.All in all,I would not stop going for anything today.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I envy people who don't go to meetings and stay sober sometimes... I like the AA program, I like my sponsor, but some aspects of meetings and the fellowship I don't want right now. I have pretty much had it with the people who are part of my "fellowship." I am sick of the way I am treated, I am tried of people who only phone me to get me to chair a meeting for them or help them renovate their house, people who ignore my feelings and constantly act like I am the one with the problem if something is upsetting me. I want real friends and a real life, but unfortunately I have nothing better on the backburner for the moment.

I am not a big church person... I consider myself a sober alcoholic/addict today, and unfortunately I feel I am still defined by my shortcomings and not my accomplishments, in my own eyes and the eyes of others (save for my sponsor and my parents). I hope to one day have some balance in my life (and be more than just sober and productive) but I think it's just going be more extremes for at least the next few years unless there's something I don't see on the horizon.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on my way to a meeting this summer. I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around for the same reason. AA had become something that I didn't want it to be. Without explaination I will leave it at that. I was losing ground. I turned around in the middle of the road. I immediatley went and found some more meetings that I had never been to. It was there that I got the Spiritual Tuneup that I had needed so badly. AA had become what I wanted it to be again.
The same old, same old gets old. Whether it be AA or whatever.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I struggle with attending meetings. I refuse to do underground meetings, I find them to be just as sick as the contemprary meetings I attend. I love what the program has given me ( a life worth living). I left AA for 7 years ( stayed on the fringe, hit the occasional meeting when I needed to kill an hour bu t that was it). Unfortunately, I need to help other drunks find a way up and out. If I am not doing that, I am taking for granted what God gave me. I know I am not responsible for my finding sobriety, and AA gives me the best odds for carrying the message of the Big Book. So I show up and listen to the ********. I sit in meetings and stick out my hand to the most self absorbed people I have ever met. I open my home to people I do not trust, sometimes let them stay for a period of time. Every now and then, one of them wants what I have and is willing to do what I did. Then there are two of us in those meetings. All in all, it ain't so bad
Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Bob, Pinkcuda, when I got that way, I did 'something else.' For me, I went and volunteered at the animal shelter, walking dogs, cleaning pens, whatever was needed, and met some great folks!!!! Normies too, lol

Also, got in the habit of hitting the local nursing homes, and asking the nurse in charge who no longer got any visitors and which ones s/he thought might like a visit. I have to tell you, that was the best move I have ever made!!!!! I met some really really great people, with some fantastic history they were willing to share, and hopefully, maybe I made their lives just a teeny bit better because they sure did mine.

I have said this many many times, "being of service" is just that "being of service." How can I today, in my small way, be of service to my fellow man? When I still had my health and strength, I used to help out on Habitat For Humanity Houses and that was really fun, didn't at all feel like working.

Check your local paper, usually they have a "community" column that lists what's going on and what and who needs volunteers. Usually runs at least once a week.

"You go to meetings until you WANT to go to meetings, then you don't have to go anymore." rofl

Sometimes, all it takes is changing one's meetings...................go to the next town over or at different times.

In my book it is not written on some great tablet in the desert or on the mountain that I must attend X number of meetings a week.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I need to go to meetings to stay in touch with recovery. When I don't go to many, then I can see/feel a difference in the way I handle "life". More importantly I learn ways/tools on how to incorporate the Steps in my daily living.

I only have almost 2 years in...maybe that's the biggest reason why I need them so much.

I have seen, for lack of a better way to explain it, someone living as a "dry drunk". It's not fun.

I guess I am afraid that if I stopped being so involved in AA and having a good support system in AA that my life would slowly spiral back to the way it used to be before I found AA. Not so much the drinking, but the other stuff.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I live in a small town.

After a while, when, there's a topic come up, you can lip sync what the people are going to say!!

To me, that's why, the new commers breathe fresh air or, the people relocating into the program from some other town.

The price of gas slowed me down somewhat of going to out of town meetings this past year.

Variety is the spice of life. I have to hear people that, I've not heard before to keep me energized.

That's one of the things I like so much about this forum. Hearing people from all around the world share their ESH on here!!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I quit going to meetings nearly three years ago and will be celebrating 5 years of "recovery" in July. Even though I don't attend meetings, I still work on recovery daily. AA taught me the foundation of sobriety and I continue to use it. Not a day goes by where I do not focus on my path, where I've been and where I am going. As long as I continue to reach out to others, strive for emotional and spiritual growth, I will continue to recover.

I know the difference between right and wrong. I know when I am out of sync and need to draw myself back into focus. This is something I have learned and will continue to learn. My life has come a long way since I first committed to stop drinking and change my life. My thoughts and opinion have come full circle from what they were in the beginning. I think that is a part of growth. As long as my focus is on sobriety and recovery, I can do it without meetings.

Those are my thoughts today. However, if things were to change tomorrow and I found myself struggling and my sobriety were in jeopardy, I wouldn't hesitate to get help, including going back to meetings. I'm not going back to where I was and will do anything for it to continue that way.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My job is all about being of service to others. I have had grieving family members cry on my shoulders when they got the news that their dearly beloved died. I have cleaned up the debris of buildings that fell under attack and helped identify pieces of people. I have fed hungry people in other countries and read story books to kids with learning disabilities. I am even a foster parent. If that were sufficient to keep me from AA I would leave and change my number and never hit another meeting again!!!!!

Unfortunately, if I take the gift that was given to me and do not give it to the next person, I lose a piece of that gift. Surely I must take the AA program and apply it to my entire life. The big meeting is the 23 hours a day I am not in AA, but that hour, that in the last year has become so painful to me is the most important place to be. I do not need a meeting. My behavior does not go off the beam due to lack of AA meeting attendance, My job has meant months without meetings. I did not fall off and start craving booze. The difference is when I opt not to be of service to God. God delivered me from alcoholic insanity, not to feed the hungry, or read books to kids, but to help another drunk recover. AA is the vehicle by which I serve God.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've disappeared many times, and I may go back to meetings but I'm not ready yet. So far this list is really helping and I like reading A.A. literature, but I don't think meetings are the answer for me right now.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have over 2 years sober, I go to 3 meetings a week on a regular basis.

Do I feel I could stay sober without meetings?

Probably I could, at least for a while. but you know I don't go to meetings today just for myself, I go to meetings to help others to either stay sober or to get sober. I find joy and purpose in my life by giving away to other alcoholics what was so freely given to me.

My sponsor had 18 years sober thanks to AA when I asked him to be my sponsor, if he had decided "Hey I can stay sober without the fellowship." after he had been sober 5 years would I still be sober today?

I do not know to be honest, he was the man that had what I wanted when I decided I needed to be taken through the steps to not only stay sober, but to be happy, joyous & free like he was.

I will avoid rambling here and simply say that although I do not NEED meetings TODAY to stay sober, I feel I do need to keep giving away freely to other alcoholics what has so freely been given to me and the only way I know of doing that is to go to meetings.

I know of one old timer in my area that seems to only show up at meetings with a newcomer in tow, I really do not know his story or know him, but several of the old timers I do know say that for quite a while now he seems to only show up with a newcomer in tow.

I have no doubt that there are quite a few folks who have simply "moved on" after getting a good grip on thier program and have stayed sober.

As others have said, the main ideas behind getting sober using the program of AA is twofold"

1. To not live in AA meetings, but to live life sober on lifes terms.
2. To carry the message to other alcoholics who still suffer.

Today I am doing both.

I find the joy in my life today living life on lifes terms outside of meetings happily and sober outside of meetings and carrying the message to the still suffering alcoholic both inside and outside of meetings.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Great topic. I have thought about this over the last few days.
My expereince (so far) has been I can go without meetings as I have other things I do to stay sober. I.e. spend more time praying, listening to speakers, talking to my sponsor, being interested in others etc...
I have had to learn to do this because of my health.

But the biggest things that have been in my mind are a couple of things I have seen and been told.

A couple who met in AA both stayed sober close to 10 years and were very active in our service structure, over time stopped going to meetings. Then became involved in some kind of insurance con and eventually both of them drunk again and the relationship broke up etc...

A few years ago I went to a BBQ with an AA friend of mine and all his friends were there and they were all sober and had been for over 5 years. They'd all sort or got sober round the same time but he was the only one who still went to AA. A woman there told me how xmas time she stands outside the local supermarket and offers to buy food stamps off the desperate and needy (for booze and drugs = money) at a reduced rate. She thought it was great. And if you haven't geussed already, yeah she's on the booze.

I think these 2 stories stick in my mind because both of them involved dishonesty which in AA we are taught, is between me and God.

Has anyone else heard that saying, you can do what you want in AA as long as you can live with it?