Notices

Thread removed

Old 07-06-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thread removed

The Big Book Changes thread was removed. The thread starter and one member were the same person and a troll that has registered with 16 user names.

Please feel free to continue your discussion in a new thread if you want to.

All posts were removed by that member who is now banned.

Thanks,
MG
Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for keeping this place on an even keel.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This, along with many other reasons, is why I have eliminated all pictures and other information in my profile.

You probably won't see me comment as often either. I have sacrificed my anonymity one too many times in here and it's just a matter of time before it bites me in the a$$.

Tom
Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have also became very cautious about this whole online recovery stuff.

Think I'll stick to lurking and keep the ESH to face to face encounters.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are we afraid of?

Another SR member pm'ed me yesterday and told me he suspected the starter of thread was someone we had seen here before, but we both agreed his/her posts were right on, although he/she seemed to have an agenda. I thought it was a good thread with some good posts.
Jim
Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When people join us they agree to abide by our
SR Policy Rules and Regs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

Those who do not..are banned.

Let me remind everyone we are allowed to
use this free site because of a grant by
The Mulligan Group.

We will follow their guidelines.

Simmple.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not the content Jim. The legal threats, reports to GSO, and the problems caused on other recovery forums is the reason we keep him out. His outside agenda goes beyond the content of his posts.

These problem members are no threat to your remaining anonymous.

Here are some tips to remain anonymous on the search engines.

Use a very common name for your member name. Only use it here and not on any other site. If you search for Morning Glory you are going to pull up a bunch of flower sites.

Use an email account that you only use here and not on any other site. Don't use the email to a friend feature unless you use ***** or hotmail, etc.. and use the online webmail to reply to emails. As far as I can see this does not reveal your IP#. You can send yourself some emails and test it.

Don't list anything in your profile that has personal information. The instant messenger allows others to search for you. If you list it here they will find you here. Your homepage listed in your profile can lead others to you here.

Make your birthdate private in your profile.

Don't post images from your personal website or image account. Post images from someone else's site or as an attachment from your computer.

Your IP# is hidden. Your email address is also private unless you post it or reply to someone through the email to friend feature here.

Don't post detailed informaton that will identify you. (People, places, things)

Don't tell anyone about this site.

Don't sign with your real name.

I don't think I forgot anything. If you do these things you should remain anonymous.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah it's common sense stuff. I don't point the finger at anyone other than myself. There is nothing wrong with sharing expierence, strength, and hope online, I just made the mistake by placing pictures of me and my son online in here which I beleive was a BIG mistake.

Online support is great, but if you simply rely on online support for recovery, then it can be considered "the easier softer way".

Tom
Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
Don't tell anyone about this site.

AMEN!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As as a matter of fact a suggestion of mine would to be to eliminate the option to even be able to put your personal info in your profile. The info you need to submit is the required info to register as a member of the site. Get rid of all ASL BS and free up the bandwidth.

Just a suggestion.

Tom
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

MorningGlory,

It wasn't the content I was talking about. I agree, the person didn't abide by the SR guidelines and therefore should be banned.

What I was talking about is what are we afraid of? Like that silly thing at the top of the page saying don't tell anyone about this site because then I won't be able to share freely. Recovery isn't about living in fear that I'll be found out. My life is an open book.

That being said, I do agree that it is only common sense not put any personal information on the internet that you wouldn't want the whole world to know and I respect any one's personal beliefs about what they feel is safe to put on this site.
Jim
Old 07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

My life's an open book too, but I recognise others don't see theirs that way

Just so you know - I thought it silly too until I read a forum help post the other day - that 'silly thing' was put there as a direct result of stalkers - here, on SR - Jim.

We can live our lives to a good spiritual standard but I don't expect else to necessarily live up to my ideals.

It's good to be not afraid...but best not to be foolhardy

D
Old 07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I must be way far behind in the ways people try and harm others. or do things for their own gain. 'cause I don't understand why someone would want to come on a recovery site if they don't have to. do you mean to get information to "hold over people" that they may know?
I haven't thought twice about things I've said or information I've put down. I guess it never crossed my mind that anyone on here was anything less than sincere about what they're going through. why in the world would someone start a thread and then use a different name to post in it?
I realize this thread was started as an explanation to those wondering where the thread went, but my curiosity has taken hold now..........
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dee,
I do realkize the danger of stalkers, especially on the internet. But I don't think perpetuating an atmosphere of fear is too healthy either.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for misunderstanding Jim.

99% of the time there are no problems for our members, but there have been some problems.

I've seen a couple of posts where the boss found the person and they lost their job.
We usually have one or two stalkers. Right now we have 4.
If you're involved with probation and still struggling you would want to be careful.
Posts can be copied and used in court. That has happened here too.
If you own a business you might not want all your clients reading your posts.

etc..etc...

It's not usually a problem. Each person needs to evaluate their own possible consequences and take precautions. It's pretty easy to cover your tracks. We've changed numerous member names and that usually takes care of it.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am grateful to have a place like SR to come to and share and recieve experience, strength, and hope.

Personally, my life is pretty much an open book. I am careful though as I realize that no matter where we go in this world there are people who for what ever reason love the drama of creating problems for others. The internet is also a place where people can present themselves anyway they choose. I don't give my full name, address, my childrens, or partners names here. The old saying; "you can sober up a horse thief but all you wind up with is a sober horse thief" is quite true. I for one would prefer not to deal with the "horse thiefs" in my own home.

I truly appreciate all the work that is done here to try and keep this site as safe as possible for everyone.

I for one choose to continue to share my experience, strength, and hope and do all I can to share the blessing of recovery I have recieved. In this day and age one of the first places many people look when trying to decide whether recovery is possible are sites like this. I want the door to be open to each of those people as too many have died from the disease of addiction/alcoholism already and too many more will continue to die from it.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's all get back to doing what we do best...
sharing with others who need assistance.

Be as caucious here as you would be
if your info was going to be in your local paper.

That's what I find simple to remember.

This thread is now closed.